Hi,
Id love to be able to map my N900 Mass storage disk via wifi or if not possible a folder to Windows - is this possible?

It would be great as you could get access to the N900 wirelessly, copy over music/videos etc. Just would be a great little extra for the N900.

Anyone!?

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
you can do that using WinSCP. openssh-server is needed on the Device (it's in Extras i believe).

you can just use root and the pass word you will be asked for when installing openssh, but it is recommended that you use key-authentication with the "user" account. see here for more details (and more docs are easily found when searching).

WinSCP is great, excellent for moding too as you'll have access to the entire file system

Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
you can do that using WinSCP. openssh-server is needed on the Device (it's in Extras i believe).

you can just use root and the pass word you will be asked for when installing openssh, but it is recommended that you use key-authentication with the "user" account. see here for more details (and more docs are easily found when searching).
So would that be permanently mounted whenever connected via wifi??

The inevitable question - how do you do it!? Got any advice?

Well it's not as ellegant as simply "mounting it". Winscp is something like a file explorer.

To actually have "mouned" folder/drive is a little more complicated, but as long as you can acess that folder it is achievable - how I don't know until I look into it myself.

As for WinSCP, here's the way to do it: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...844#post482844

Enjoy

The Following User Says Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
Well it's not as ellegant as simply "mounting it". Winscp is something like a file explorer.

To actually have "mouned" folder/drive is a little more complicated, but as long as you can acess that folder it is achievable - how I don't know until I look into it myself.

As for WinSCP, here's the way to do it: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...844#post482844

Enjoy
Thanks I have Open SSH Client and Open SSH server on my N900, and type in sudo gainroot in terminal. Then used WinSCP as in the directions but it wont connect. Do I need to 'turn on' SSH? I cant see it anywhere in the application list!

No, just make sure you're connected via wifi and the ip and password are correct.
Sudo is not necessary, I'll correct that.

Make sure your router doesn't somehow block the connection.
If nothing works add your phone's and your pc's ip to port forwarding in the router's menu and specify the open ports too!

Last edited by Bec; 2010-01-19 at 22:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
No, just make sure you're connected via wifi and the ip and password are correct.
Sudo is not necessary, I'll correct that.

Make sure your router doesn't somehow block the connection.
If nothing works add your phone's and your pc's ip to port forwarding in the router's menu and specify the open ports too!
hmm still didnt manage to get it to work.

I was thinking anyway - didnt the N95 have software to make it show up on the network? If that could do it, Im guessing the N900 could (someday) and therefore when connected on the network it could be mapped as a drive..

My reasoning is that if its mapped as a drive copying files would be so easy, plus you could sync everything on it (pictures, music etc) - Im not sure how it would work ie in an automated way.

Another workaround would be setting up an FTP server on the N900 (which is currently possible but since gproftpd doesnt exist on the N900 I cant get it to work (being a n00b)) then mapping the ftp server as a drive (which is possible). Are there FTP limitations? Im thinking speedwise really.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Step 1: Install the SSH server on your N900
Step 2: Read this and then try to download that (Red Drive is discontinued, but still available)

Or there is also a commercial solution available (40$)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post: