Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I have a feeling that two factors have been omitted: your connection, and your additional software/configurations.

Speeding up the tablet isn't *quite* as simple as brontide's post made it seem, BUT his work has value nonetheless. It's a starting point.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Browser is MUCH faster loading static webpages.

However AJAX type pages like gmail, google reader, facebook seem slower - is it just me?

This is purely qualitative btw.

Rest of system:
Well - Canola seemed to stutter more in certain areas of the video that I don't remember stuttering at before. However MPlayer seems to be better.

I tried out my Lyx port and that worked MUCH better! Helluva lot more responsive - last time menus, etc took time to appear, now they're instantaneous.

Tried out wmgui port - still get Mesg pipe overflows so we don't gain something from nothing

Anyone tried time'ing various slow to return processes to see whether this is any quicker?

The Following User Says Thank You to yabbas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
The changes will most benefit having multiple apps open at once. I have noticed a more stuttering under canola as well when it's paging. I'm trying to figure out if it's paging in or out.

In reality these tweaks should slow down your average benchmark in a nominal way, but more of a synthetic benchmark... say two people doing the same thing should show more responsiveness.

Placebo... possibly, that's why I'm hoping to get feedback. The browser tweaks appear to help most people, but the other tweaks might be more questionable.

Ajax.. yeah, I think it's an unfortunate side effect of the async, non-persistent nature of the connections. I'm looking at mozilla's help for a possible solution to that problem. It's not going to be easy, but any help will be better than it is now.

wmgui... dunno, sounds like it might be something that can be solved with some sysctl changes ( assuming the CPU is up to the task ).

I'm testing on a n810 -> wifi -> 10m/1m cable connection. Some on the sites I'm using are Google reader, timesunion, livejournal, google search, facebook ( iphone ), and netflix.

I took only the Mozilla changes, and I don't even have enough Linux skillz to edit the prefs.js file, so I made all of the changes by setting them right in the browser with about:config. It has really made a difference to page drawing and general browsing performance! Much gratitude for these tips, it has increased my enjoyment of my 810. I love many things about this machine, but browsing speed has always been a bit frustrating. The fact that Opera on my Blackberry 8300 could render pages faster, with comparable layout and functionality just seemed wrong! This has essentially sped up the 810 to be just about as fast.

For any other noobs out there, the about:config method is incredibly slow (put aside 30 min to make the changes, the 810 will look like it has hung on each parameter update... hell, loading the about:config page will lock your machine for a few minutes) but it seems pretty safe and it works.

Cheers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vibribbon For This Useful Post:
With the about:config, did you just type that into your browser and then start adding the new command lines? How did you add the 32MB swap file?

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Originally Posted by vibribbon View Post
I took only the Mozilla changes, and I don't even have enough Linux skillz to edit the prefs.js file, so I made all of the changes by setting them right in the browser with about:config. It has really made a difference to page drawing and general browsing performance! Much gratitude for these tips, it has increased my enjoyment of my 810. I love many things about this machine, but browsing speed has always been a bit frustrating. The fact that Opera on my Blackberry 8300 could render pages faster, with comparable layout and functionality just seemed wrong! This has essentially sped up the 810 to be just about as fast.

For any other noobs out there, the about:config method is incredibly slow (put aside 30 min to make the changes, the 810 will look like it has hung on each parameter update... hell, loading the about:config page will lock your machine for a few minutes) but it seems pretty safe and it works.

Cheers
I used the about:config method and was done in 5 minutes. However, for some strange reason, my N800 has been taking several minutes to boot up for the last couple of days, not sure why - Canola related?

I've also done the sysctl configs, but still no idea how to get a 32MB swap file.

I think the vm swappiness needs to be adjusted out of the box. The default value is '1' and it means the IT will hardly use the swap. I've set mine to '30' and it feels a bit snappier. One question I have is 'how do you make the settings stick inbetween reboots?, as I can't seem to find /etc/sysctl.conf file?

I applied both sets of changes. Not sure about the general impact on the system, but the browser definitely has improved - a lot. Thanks for the tips !

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by jamesc760 View Post
I think the vm swappiness needs to be adjusted out of the box. The default value is '1' and it means the IT will hardly use the swap. I've set mine to '30' and it feels a bit snappier. One question I have is 'how do you make the settings stick inbetween reboots?, as I can't seem to find /etc/sysctl.conf file?
Ok, here is what I have done. This is the "Right Way"(tm) to make sysctl settings stick between reboots.

As root...

Create a file /etc/init.d/sysctl

Code:
#! /bin/sh

case "$1" in
start)
	sysctl -p > /dev/null
        ;;

*)      echo "Usage: $0 {start}"
        exit 1
        ;;
esac
chmod 755 sysctl

ln -s /etc/init.d/sysctl /etc/rc2.d/S99sysctl

and place your sysctl settings in /etc/sysctl.conf as you would on a normal system like so.

Code:
# tweak tcp                                                                                                                                                              
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1                                                                                                                                          
net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 1                                                                                                                                                    
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 1800                                                                                                                                       
net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout = 10                                                                                                                                            
net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 0                                                                                                                                              
net.ipv4.tcp_dsack = 1                                                                                                                                                   
net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog = 96                                                                                                                                        
net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 1                                                                                                                                                     
net.core.rmem_max = 2097152                                                                                                                                              
net.core.wmem_max = 2097152                                                                                                                                              
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 16384 65536 2097152                                                                                                                                  
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 16384 32768 2097152                                                                                                                                  

# Make the system a little more swap happy                                                                                                                               
vm.swappiness = 50                                                                                                                                                       
vm.vfs_cache_pressure = 200                                                                                                                                              

# Lower the amount of free ram before the kernel kicks it up a notch                                                                                                     
vm.min_free_kbytes = 512                                                                                                                                                 

# swap early                                                                                                                                                             
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 5                                                                                                                                            
vm.dirty_ratio = 20                                                                                                                                                      
# This is flash, we don't face the same latency penalty as a HD so don't prefetch pages                                                                                  
# from swap                                                                                                                                                              
vm.page-cluster = 2
You can see above that I'm playing with a few more settings than before. I can now say positively that canola no longer skips and I'm pretty sure it's because of the vm.dirty* settings. Still nothing as dramatic as the previous mozilla prefs change. I think there will be some benefit for people that like lots of apps open, but many will see no improvement.

With the about:config, did you just type that into your browser and then start adding the new command lines? How did you add the 32MB swap file?
Reboot the device and then go into Control Panel -> Memory -> Virtual. I have increased my swap to 64MB and after a few hours of use it has usually swapped out 32+MB to swap and seems more responsive.

I'm still finding tidbits in the mozilla prefs that might be useful. At some point soon I'm going to have to blow away my configs to get a feeling for the defaults again.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 98 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Knightdale, NC
will any of this code work on the 2007HE?