Active Topics

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Tehran - Iran
Hi

I'm amateur, but I have an idea: I want to make my N9 n-Boot (at least 8 ):
Original Harmattan PR1.3 / Backup Menu N9 v 1.1_9 / NitDroid / Nemo Mobile / SSHD USB / kernel-plus 2.6.32.59 / Firefox OS / Sailfish OS (in Future)

but:

a) Sillyboot menu (is a Dual Boot Menu) or juicemenu does not support Backup Menu N9 v 1.1_9 (Source: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...56&postcount=1)

b) For Firefox OS, they replaced NitDroid with it (Sources: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87211 & http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=85591)

c) Backup menu MultiBoot support Meego, Android, Backupmenu, and SSHD USB (Source: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86957)

d) With Ubiboot NITDroid and Nemo is added to Harmattan (Sources: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89345 & http://wiki.maemo.org/Ubiboot) Ubiboot is used For adding kernel-plus 2.6.32.59 (Sources: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86543 & http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=60)

Now I want to have all above in my N9
Who can help/guide me (I'm amateur so I need detail guide )?

Thanks a lot

Last edited by hrbani; 2013-09-03 at 03:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hrbani For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Well, ubiboot does it all for you
It is fairly easy to add just as many icon menus as you want to.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well, ubiboot does it all for you
It is fairly easy to add just as many icon menus as you want to.
May I want you to describe it step by step?
[making N9 n-Boot (at least 8): Original Harmattan PR1.3 / Backup Menu N9 v 1.1_9 / NitDroid / Nemo Mobile / SSHD USB / kernel-plus 2.6.32.59 / Firefox OS / Sailfish OS (in Future)
I had downloaded required files for UbiBoot, NitDroid, Nemo, Backup Menu, Kernel-plus and Firefox OS in mentiond links and I don't know how to add icons menus and edit ubiboot lines.]

with regards

Last edited by hrbani; 2013-09-03 at 03:55.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by hrbani View Post
May I want you to describe it step by step?
[making N9 n-Boot (at least 8): Original Harmattan PR1.3 / Backup Menu N9 v 1.1_9 / NitDroid / Nemo Mobile / SSHD USB / kernel-plus 2.6.32.59 / Firefox OS / Sailfish OS (in Future)
I had downloaded required files for UbiBoot, NitDroid, Nemo, Backup Menu, Kernel-plus and Firefox OS in mentiond links and I don't know how to add icons menus and edit ubiboot lines.]

with regards
Well, you should start by downloading the sources and builder scripts for ubiboot menus: http://www.swagman.org/juice/ubiboot...ics_300513.tar
  • In the imagebase directory you find the icon template files.
  • The animation sequences are compiled by the script create_animations.sh
  • You can test the sequences by invoking the builder script with "--debug" option, so it creates mpeg sequences you can view on your computer.
  • The builder script will create an archive called "animatronics.tar" which you then can repack into the ubiboot cpio file.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
These posts (#5 to #9) are selected from conversation between juiceme and me. I share them with his permission for public usage.
I quote this from juiceme:
Originally Posted by juiceme
Originally Posted by hrbani
The method is for Win or Linux? I'm a windows user and amateur, so I don't know any thing and I'm scared to do wrong and hurt my phone
Well, all the procedures can in theory be done on windows, I suppose. The problem is that Windows is so unfriendly environment for SW development, you need to find and install really many packages to get it in such a shape that Linux usually is already configured when used out-of-the-box.
I cannot help you much with Windows, as I do not have any Windows computers, have not had for many years. (long time ago in the last millenium I did do windows SW development, but since then... I've managed to stay away from it )
So, if you are familiar with VirtualBox or some other VM environment, you could use it to install a virtual Linux operating system inside your Windows, and use that for SW development. To work with ubiboot anything is OK really, maybe some Ubuntu version is easiest for beginners.
As for hurting your phone... Well, anything is possible, of course but I'd say nothing you can do to your phone with ubiboot-02 is likely to break it beyond fixing via reflashing.
With the previous version of ubiboot, it ws possible to corrupt your CAL partition in such a way reflash will not fix it, but even that required doing some things not said in the install guide. With ubiboot-02, that is not very likely.
If you get your phone in such a state it will not boot, and that is quite easy, the fix is as easy; just reflash it.
And of course you should always have backups of everything, so nothing's lost that way.
I am constantly getting my device in non-booting state, but that can be corrected in few minutes by reflash so I tend to not even think about it really
I downloaded the sources and builder scripts for ubiboot menus: http://www.swagman.org/juice/ubiboot...ics_300513.tar
How can I work with script "create_animations.sh"?
How can I repack "animatronics.tar" into the ubiboot cpio file?
How I must edit ubiboot lines to have 8 choice?
The animation creation script "create_animations.sh" is a bash shell script, You could imagine it's like a BAT file on Windows. It's using a SW package called "imagemagic" which is a common graphics manipulating SW used on Linux to edit images on the fly.
There is a set of other scripts, that then are used on the N9 to display the menu and react to user input, namely the scripts "select_and_boot_os.sh", "select_default_os.sh", and "select_os_animated.sh"
If you add new icons, those scripts need to be modified to take into accord the new user input and how to process it.
After you modify/run the creation script, you will have a directory structure which contains your new animation sequences and the user interaction scripts, then you can pack it into a CPIO archive (which is a bit similar to a TAR archive, but used more commonly when working with kernels as CPIO format is specified more strictly than TAR, meaning there are not possibilities for compability problems...)
The command to create the CPIO is something like "find . | cpio -H newc -o > ../ubiboot-02_myown_version.cpio"
Actually, I am now in the process of making an 8-boot version
See http://www.swagman.org/juice/topmenu.png what it looks like...
Huh! it turned out my reply is too long, this mail-system in TMO cannot handle messages that grow larger than 5000 bytes
So, I will put the rest of the reply in another mail!

Last edited by hrbani; 2013-09-24 at 14:22.

... Continuing from my previous mail, which grew too large

How will be the choice between Original harmattan and kernel-plus 2.6.32.59? Could I boot Harmattan (normal mode) and kernel-plus 2.6.32.59 in every boot or the phone goes to open mode completely?
Well, that is unfortunayely something Nokia did not allow when they made N9. They were really careful to build the device in such a way, that once you boot into Open Mode, even for a split second, you can never go back to closed mode without a reflash.

That is a kind of security feature in the device, to ensure people do not install Open Mode tweaks and then use the device in Closed Mode. Similar enforced security thingies are the restriction not to be able to flash older firmware to the device... and it is as silly as this.
Unfortunately it cannot be fixed and we just have to live with it

There are things that you can use to get around that a little bit, like Inception, but even that does not allow you to boot into a different environment. (no possibility to load a different OS using Inception, ever.)

After I make the needed icons for Backup Menu N9 / SSHD USB / Firefox OS and Sailfish OS (similar to icons in "imagebase" folder in "animatronics_300513.tar") and send them for you in future days, may I want you to create the desired ubiboot and describe the works that you do, in detail (like teaching a baby ) and the works that I must do to have "My First n[>=8]-Boot N9" like the method in http://wiki.maemo.org/Ubiboot ?
Yes, when I get the next version out the wikipage and install/use documentation needs to be updated.
For the features I am now working, you can see the TODO file in the ubiboot download page... All of the stuff mentioned there will not be implemented in ubiboot ver. 0.3.4 but lots of it will be

It will be great and thankful that you can do this and edit http://wiki.maemo.org/Ubiboot to develop it from 3-boot to n-boot

I have downloaded needed files that mentioned in http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...39&postcount=1 except new required ubiboot and Sailfish OS image (I wish it been ported as soon as possible).

With Regards

Last edited by hrbani; 2013-09-24 at 14:17.

I quote it from juiceme:

I have seen in some sources that for Prof. working with N9, Debian based Linux is need, so I downloaded Ubuntu 13 (900 MB, lowest size for DL, but 8 years ago I had a bad experience with Ubuntu so I tried another distro.), BT5RC2 (~4GB, in some sources, I saw it was Debian based and has low size, but after DL I found: BT5 is Ubuntu based and BT4 was Debian based and BT is used for H.ack and Anti.H.ack) and finally Debian 7.1 (~12GB). Now I have these distro.s which one is your choice (more complete, needs fewer additional packages and DL and ...)?
Well, having Debian-based Linux might indeed be easiest as the flasher utility for N9 is easiest installed as native DEB packet.
(It can be done also on RPM based distros, but then you need to install it as an alien package which is maybe more difficult for newbies...)

As for what Linux flavor to use; I have never tried BackTrack linux distros, so I can only say for Ubuntu and Debian.
Basically it depends on what kind of desktop you would want to have as default: Ubuntu gives you Unity, which some like and some dont. Debian gives you Gnome, which some like and some dont.

Ubuntu has some SW that is newer than Debian Stable version, as it is based on the very newest Debian Unstable releases. If you can live with Unity desktop I'd propably recommend Ubuntu as it has the newest features.

Thanks a lot. I'm surprised from your complete detail good learning/answer . I wish U thee best .
Everybody is a newbie in the beginning. It is an important lesson I think, to remember that and try to treat all people with respect. At least I try to do so, hope I also succeed in it most of the time

Last edited by hrbani; 2013-09-24 at 14:17.

Thanks, it was my challenge that is there any way to have Original Harmattan and Open mode together?
Is it sily to ask: "Is it possible to flash 2 Separate Harmattan in N9? one original and one open mode like a different OS (NitDroid, FF and ...)?" ?
Of course it is not silly to ask, these things are a bit muddy, difficult to grasp. Asking questions is the first step on the path to enlightenment.

The short answer to your question is, no, it is not possible.

The long answer is: Well, you can set up more than one Harmattan installation to the device, yes. It has been done, and at least Coderus (if i remember correctly) moved his Harmattan installation to a different partition.
The problem with this is, however that of course you cannot do this in closed mode, and so it happens that now you have two Harmattan installations on your device, both in Open Mode

The thing here is, why does anybody want to run their device in Closed Mode, really?
I have been using Open Mode exclusively for since it was possible, and my wife who is no developer, just normal user, also has her device in Open Mode.

So, why do you want it? Is it because of the device locking, since that is AFAIK the only thing that does not work in Open Mode...

I wish you can complete it as soon as possible . In Changelog, I saw ver. 0.3.0 to 0.3.3 are released, but I did find them anywhere for download , and if I download them, how can I use them?
Unfortunately the versioning numbering is a bit misleading, since on the download page the releases are named by the release date, and the number you can only see when you connect USB to the device when booting, it is shown with the green text on the repair mode welcome screen.

However, the latest release, v.0.3.3 is ubiboot-02_040613.tar ( --> released 04.06.2013, that is...)

This is a good point, BTW! I will add the version number to the info menu on the next release, thanks!

What is your opinion about adding Backup Menu and SSHD USB? Is it possible? or it uses different procedure and it is not impossible to add them?
I only used Inception and N9QT and some tweaks and programs and didn't take my phone to open mode. I'm waiting 4 month to find how can I have BU Menu, SSHD, NitDroid and Nemo together? As mentioned in topic it was to different incomplete way: 1) BU Menu, SSHD, NitDroid and 2) NitDroid and Nemo.
Yes, all that should be doable. Some thing take more time and effort than other, always.
And since I do have a "real" job, and family to take care of, there things sometimes progress slowly.

In Ubiboot wiki the recommended kernel for open mode is: "zImage: (recommended) this is the “new version” of zImage.pr13, which is tailored for use with ubiboot. IMPORTANT: Rename this to “zImage_e-yes_nitdroid+l2fix” (without the quotes). "
That is the recommended kernel for Nitdroid use. It contains fixes that help the device start quicker when you run Nitdroid.
For Harmattan Open Mode the recommended kernel is the L2-fixed open mode kernel whis also has better startup speed, but is more compatible with Harmattan.

What is your opinion about updated kernel+? Might I add it separately like its learning or can I use it instead of zImage?
You can use it instead of any Harmattan kernel, just remember also to get the modules, since unlike the Nitdroid kernel and the L2-fixed kernel it uses completely different modules.

I am using it myself, it works well for everyday work. If you need the features offered in it (like nat, extfat, etc...), I can recommend it.

What is the last icon in " http://www.swagman.org/juice/topmenu.png "? Is it for setting or Backing up?
Yes, that is to be general settings menu, where you can put all the stuff not related to OS booting, like backupmenu, etc..

Thanks, because device locking and Overclocking and if there is another thing that couldn't be done in Open Mode. What is your opinion about Overclocking phone in Closed Mode and running it in Open Mode, will overclocking work?
I do not use overclocking myself, but I am sure it works with Open mode. I'd say it propably works better in Open mode than Closed mode.
Everything except device lock should work, and the problem of device lock is only because it's designed so that it keeps the password in the secure storage of OMAP4.

What is AFAIK?
BTW? What does it mean?
AFAIK = As Far As I Know
BTW = By The Way

I wish you (you and your family) health, happiness and success in all.
I wish same to you and your family!

Thanks, modules are in "kernel-2.6.32.59-plus_nat.tar" lib folder and the instruction of adding and usage is in its topic, is it true? Can I have L2-fixed open mode kernel and updated kernel+ together and use one of them in each time I need?
Yes, that is the purpose of ubiboot.
You can have up to 6 kernels in device, each time you boot you can select what to start running.
Each kernel file should be put to the /boot/ directory, and modules for each kernel should be put to /lib/modules/<kernel_id_string>/ directory, this way you can have many different kernels in the device without affecting each other.

Tags
multiboot, nokia n9