Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
I'm paranoid about damaging any expensive phone screen, because you can't easily/cheaply replace it. So I had already ordered some N900 screen protectors BEFORE I'd even ordered my N900 from amazon! Needless to say, I've had the beast for 5 months, and the screen protector shows many small, light scratches and a couple of heavier ones. All that makes me think is, (apart from time to change the protector) those very same scratches might well be on the actual screen itself if it wasn't for the protector. I take care of my phone, don't work in construction, but those scratches still managed to appear.

Also, for those of you having problems putting them on, I followed instructions for an iPhone screen protector on YouTube, using a credit card - works like a charm. No water (yikes!) necessary!

The Following User Says Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
I've had previous touchscreen experience with first a Psion Revo, then HP iPAQ H5450 & hw6915. The Revo had a curious surface finish and during years of use, never got scratches or anything. Both iPAQs on the other hand had very vulnerable displays, hell, the one and only time I've let someone unexperienced handle my unprotected device it received a very visible p-letter shaped scratch on the dislpay. That made me really paranoid with my N900, until I got a protector for it.

I used a Zagg Invisibleshield for about half a year, until a bad installation (too close to lower edge of the display it seems) caused some dirt to start getting under the edges. I took it off and replaced it with a Celly protector.

The touch screen felt certainly more responsive with the Zagg protector, for two things:
1) it was much thinner, more like a film, than the sheet-like Celly. Of course, the Celly was much easier to install.
2) it has a "sticky" surface, hard to describe, but it felt easier to use the disaply with it. While the added friction made it easier to press with fingernails accurately, the was making sliding movements more difficult.

I now have two Celly protectors (4 of these cost the same as one Zagg), not sure what I should go for next. My girlfriend's father has a really great screen protector on his N900, I'll try to find a chance to ask what brand it's from.

Bottom line; Zagg feels great but is expensive and started accumulating dirt under the edges (also under the edges of the cut holes for camera, speaker, etc). Celly makes the touch screen less responsive but feels very durable, also doesn't look as cheap due to being "clearer"
I've heard much good about the Vikuiti protector, but have no personal experience.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 2011-01-21 at 17:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aonsaithya For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Recently, the coating on the screen of my n900 has started to peel off, starting where there was a fine scratch. Thing is, I found this new touchscreen:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

which is £9, I'm thinking maybejust replace that every now and again...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedri Mark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Moscow
I have been using N900 for about a year without any screen protector. There's not a single scratch on the screen.
Only protector i use is a soft pouch (even when i put n900 in a pocket). Just be careful and don't put the phone in a pocket with other small or sharp items and you'll be fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Silvarum For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bousch View Post
When you do scratch your screen you will wish you had used a screen protector.

I've been using a Vikuiti™ screen protector DQC160 on my n900 for over a year now and the screenprotector has some minor scratches and one small deeper scratch.

I will be trying the Martin Fields one next...

BTW, there have been numerous interesting threads before about screen protectors so if you want to read about them, just search
That's the one I had. The bare screen has proved much more scratch resistant for me so far.

Those spare glass fronts from ebay look like a good option to me, given that they're about as much as a fancy screen protector.

Last edited by patstew; 2011-01-21 at 19:01.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patstew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by Silvarum View Post
I have been using N900 for about a year without any screen protector. There's not a single scratch on the screen.
Only protector i use is a soft pouch (even when i put n900 in a pocket). Just be careful and don't put the phone in a pocket with other small or sharp items and you'll be fine.
Same here. I don't use a screen protector on my N900, but I do try to take reasonable precautions. I use the N900 sleeve made by Waterfield/SFBags when it is in my pocket and I wipe my N900 clean with a little Plexus once a day or so.

The Following User Says Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
...and I kiss mine goodnight before going to bed

The Following User Says Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
Have you actually tried washing one? I initially thought the same, so I chucked my first screen protector without trying, but then I thought, what have I got to lose, when the next one got some dust on it, I tried giving it a soapy wash, a rinse to remove the soap, shook off the excess water and it applied just fine. And they were the cheap ones as well.
I did, twice, and it was a completel disaster both times. Maybe it was due to the specific protector or maybe it was due to my inability I'm glad to know some of them are truly washable at least!

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
brando ultra clear. not visible.

The Following User Says Thank You to Turkishflavor For This Useful Post: