Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
I'm sure that's optional and calls are still possible without any data connection at all
Yes, it is possible to make phone calls using LTE network only. This technology is called VoLTE.
It indeed uses data transfer under the hood but the data is being routed differently than "normal" data transfer and therefore works without a need to have cellular data connection enabled. And this is the technology which will be somehow "required" in T-Mobile US and it is being integrated in many LTE networks all around the world.
An equivalent for 5G is called VoNR (Voice on New Radio) or Vo5G.

there's some technology that can send high-quality audio for calls ovwer 4G
It is called HD Voice. And as far as I know it can be used even on old 2G network but US operators lauched it alongside with LTE. Perhaps so that the user can "hear the LTE improvement".

P.S. There is also LTE Broadcast (also called eMBMS, for 4G) and 5G Broadcast (also called FeMBMS) for transmitting (emitting, multicasting) data (f.e. TV, radio) using 4G or 5G with possibility to receive data without any additional charge and even requiring the SIM card. But, unfortunately, it is not popular - there were just few public tests of these technologies.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mp107 View Post
Yes, it is possible to make phone calls using LTE network only.
I was refering to the opposite: It is possible to make phone calls without any data connection, i.e. without LTE, without 2/3/4/5G.

People seem to have lost that knowledge; I'll say it just one more time:
There's technology for mobile calls and SMS, usually called GSM, and then there's all the rest, call it mobile broadband, internet, data, whatever.
Every smart phone ever built (*) has had (and still has) at least those two technologies side by side.

(*) assuming part of the definition of "smartphone" is "internet capable". And if someone brings up WAP now I'm going to scream...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I was refering to the opposite: It is possible to make phone calls without any data connection, i.e. without LTE, without 2/3/4/5G.

People seem to have lost that knowledge; I'll say it just one more time:
There's technology for mobile calls and SMS, usually called GSM, and then there's all the rest, call it mobile broadband, internet, data, whatever.
Every smart phone ever built (*) has had (and still has) at least those two technologies side by side.

(*) assuming part of the definition of "smartphone" is "internet capable". And if someone brings up WAP now I'm going to scream...
The "traditional" GSM voice call which is called circuit switched connection to differentiate from the packed switched connection of the "data call" still needs the 2G or 3G cell to work.
If an operator runs down the 2G/3G network and allocates the cell sites to LTE or 5G then you lost this capability.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Slightly OT but what about e.g. all those emergancy systems used in elevators that have been installed over the last 20+ years?
Isn't it likely the providers just stop selling the feature to public but still offer it silently to b2b customers?
Or will we see elevators get upgraded all over the US?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I might have to go to Alaska for some work, not sure though.
I do not look forward to having to deal with the doing-our-own-thing tech/contractual mess that is mobile service in the US/Canada.
I think even Japan has now gotten onto the global mobile telephony standard and freqs.
Will the Pinephone work there?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
You know this discussion reminds me that as much as some don't like Purism. If they had a phone that worked well (meaning you don't have to think about power usage and heat issues), then their approach of separating the modern (M.2 slot for a baseband module) onto a daughter board makes a lot of sense ... as long as you can find or they sell a replacement.

Imagine keep the device you want just update the components. Fairphone does this to some extent, sadly I don't think the cpu/modem though.

x

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The "traditional" GSM voice call which is called circuit switched connection to differentiate from the packed switched connection of the "data call" still needs the 2G or 3G cell to work.
If an operator runs down the 2G/3G network and allocates the cell sites to LTE or 5G then you lost this capability.
How can it then be that I have a "GSM only" phone?

The Following User Says Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
I might have to go to Alaska for some work, not sure though.
I do not look forward to having to deal with the doing-our-own-thing tech/contractual mess that is mobile service in the US/Canada.
I think even Japan has now gotten onto the global mobile telephony standard and freqs.
Will the Pinephone work there?
I know that some of the remote areas of Alaska are using microwave links for phone service in the small towns.
And going to such a remote area, you might need a satellite phone.
Yes there will be cell coverage in the large cities such as Fairbanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by ka9yhd View Post
I know that some of the remote areas of Alaska are using microwave links for phone service in the small towns.
And going to such a remote area, you might need a satellite phone.
Yes there will be cell coverage in the large cities such as Fairbanks.
Much of the western US used to be linked by mountain top microwave horn emplacements. I think most are replaced by fiber now.
When you get high enough even the up to 45 degree LEO sats like Globalstar get hard to access, forget geostationary orbit inmarsat to low on the useful horizon and I guess only Iridium with its LEO polar coverage comes into it's prime. IDK most of the time I would be in Anchorage but yea if I have to go north I guess it is wireline, QRP HF amateur radio or Iridium along with all of the offline data I can stuff into flash drives.

I noticed inmarsat recently tossed up data package on three Molinya orbit birds to give virtual geostationary coverage to the norther polar area. No idea how mobile the equipment is, probably is a steered dish antenna or a phased array pizza box like starlink.
https://paxex.aero/2019/07/inmarsat-gx-arctic-coverage/
that has to be some wicked doppler.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
How can it then be that I have a "GSM only" phone?
What is it you don't understand about it?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: