Posts: 6 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
Received my Jolla on Monday and switched from my N9 to Jolla today.

First, thanks for Jolla picking up and continuing N9 heritage! N9 was and still is great phone, but obviously it has not future. Jolla seem to be something like rough diamond right now - it needs some cutting and lot's of polishing, but it looks promising. Wish Jolla success so they can keep improving it.

My first experience with Sailfish was rather confusing but after a couple of days I'm growing into it. This is power user's phone and has few friendly buttons giving hints what to do next. I'm ok with that, but I expect lot of negative reviews because the initial impression counts a lot and not many reviewers are happy to speend week or even days before rushing to write their review.

Some comments to Jolla, if you are reading this
  • Please increase contrast (or less transparency) between text and background picture. My eyes are not that good anymore and for example reading email summaries or settings can be hard depending on the ambient light.
  • Integrate calendar (current day) to notifications screen.
  • There are plenty of inconsistencies in UI - sometimes I need to press something, sometimes need to use pulley menu. For example answering call vs ending the call. Or editing existing alarm requires long press which is not so obvious.
  • Double tap on sleep screen should show also battery and network status - now one needs to scroll a little bit for no obvious reason as there is plenty of screen estate left. Put some calendar information there as well.. Generally, if there is unused screen estate, use it for something intelligently.
  • "Deleting in 5 seconds.." can be rather annoying - is there a way to speed up the process?
  • Blinking LED's need to go

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to vo-de For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by jalundan View Post
That's not the point. The point is that is there a possibility to turn it on by option. Meaning that for example, when I leave it to recharge and the battery is full, the led blinks. I hate lightblinking when I try to sleep. But on the other hand, I must leave it for it to have battery for the next day. I know, I know.. It is a very small problem, but it's just me that wants these things. I'm the person who has taped "breathing light" over with duckt tape from a mac and a monitor because the blinking is irritating.

Yeah. But the problem is, that for example I have not been able to create an ambience with dark picture (almost black) and having for example white text even that would be totally visible. So the easiest way would be to change the background image of an ambience once I have gotten whit(e/ish) text.

The bright coloured pictures work just fine, but for example every time I try to make an ambience from a black and white picture, I get this suck *** orange or baby poop coloured text. I have tried at least with 5-10 different pictures and the result is always the same. S**t coloured or orange. :P
I understand what you mean about the flashing leds, if the Jolla community is anything like the n900 one there will soon be an app to modify its behaviour.

On the matter of ambiances I understand your issue now. I too loaded a black and white image and whilst the lock screen is fine it gradually turns diarrhoea like as you move down the screens. Not found a way to avoid that yet

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by vo-de View Post
Received my Jolla on Monday and switched from my N9 to Jolla today.

First, thanks for Jolla picking up and continuing N9 heritage! N9 was and still is great phone, but obviously it has not future. Jolla seem to be something like rough diamond right now - it needs some cutting and lot's of polishing, but it looks promising. Wish Jolla success so they can keep improving it.

My first experience with Sailfish was rather confusing but after a couple of days I'm growing into it. This is power user's phone and has few friendly buttons giving hints what to do next. I'm ok with that, but I expect lot of negative reviews because the initial impression counts a lot and not many reviewers are happy to speend week or even days before rushing to write their review.

Some comments to Jolla, if you are reading this
  • Please increase contrast (or less transparency) between text and background picture. My eyes are not that good anymore and for example reading email summaries or settings can be hard depending on the ambient light.
  • Integrate calendar (current day) to notifications screen.
  • There are plenty of inconsistencies in UI - sometimes I need to press something, sometimes need to use pulley menu. For example answering call vs ending the call. Or editing existing alarm requires long press which is not so obvious.
  • Double tap on sleep screen should show also battery and network status - now one needs to scroll a little bit for no obvious reason as there is plenty of screen estate left. Put some calendar information there as well.. Generally, if there is unused screen estate, use it for something intelligently.
  • "Deleting in 5 seconds.." can be rather annoying - is there a way to speed up the process?
  • Blinking LED's need to go
I raised the fact that 3g and battery needs to be on the lock screen, it can go to the right of the clock. Sent it to Jolla care, it's madness that you can't check battery status on the lock screen without having to scroll.

The delete in 5 seconds is great, you get used to it. It does not stop you doing other things or deleting other things as you can have several countdowns going at once. IMHO must better that a "are you sure" dialog.

The UI becomes 2nd nature in time and does make sense ...mostly.

"I like blinking I does"

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
"Deleting in 5 seconds.." can be rather annoying - is there a way to speed up the process?
You don't need to wait, just go away and it deletes it ;-) (according to the guide or some video where Marc explained it)

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Once again: the applications remain open, they just don't appear on that screen. There is no workaround that I know of, but then again you don't want to be scrolling down forever, right?
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
Also if youi long press on the screen so you can close selected apps you get a chance to view more than 9 (not sure what the limit is though). Also bear in mind that if you open one of the minimised apps and Jolla puts it to the top of the multitasks screen. So the ones that have slipped out of view are those you have probably not been using.
Thank you for clearing that up. Tried to see through youtube if I could see someone clearing that up but till a couple of days ago did not find the answer.

Am I correct in assuming that the N9 allows scrolling downwards scaled to how many apps are open? I assumed Jolla would be like that too.

I have been a big fan of the N900 and use it as my daily device (its more than perfect). Have used iOS and Android and found them unbearable.

I cannot find a better place on this forum to ask this question at the time being, but can/will the Jolla phone enjoy the same level of support from this community as did the N900? My highest priority in selecting my next device will be to go with the device that this phenomenal community is behind.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prosetheus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by prosetheus View Post
Am I correct in assuming that the N9 allows scrolling downwards scaled to how many apps are open? I assumed Jolla would be like that too.
yeap - N9 is like that. But bear in mind that in the Jolla the UX is different, as you flip different screens by going up/down, so it'd be impractical to have 100s of open applications and have to scroll all the way down until you get to the launcher. That's the logic anyway, I'm not a UX designer ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jalundan View Post
Hmm.. I'm a huge newb with sailfish / maemo. Coming from iOS world to this, and 1 day in at Jolla-world. So any pointers to a web page or any instructions how to be able to edit those?

I can work my way with unix/linux, but no clue where to start..
In Settings app: system setting: Developer mode enable Developer mode and allow Remote connection. Write a password (try to invent long but easy to write one) and save it. (Don't touch Allow developer updates!)

Start Terminal app. Because you want to edit system files, run command devel-su and give it the password you earlier gave for Settings app.

Enable mer-tools by giving commands:

ssu ar mer-tools
pkcon refresh

If you already know how to use vi editor, you can skip this step. Install easier to use editor by giving command:

pkcon install nano

After that go to directory to edit files, take original version aside in case you want to restore the original and edit the file:

cd /etc/mce
cp -ip 10mce.ini 10mce.ini.ORIG
nano 10mce.ini

CTRL+X to exit from the nano editor. Commands are listed at the last two rows when editing file.

WARNING! When editing system files it might be possible to brick your Jolla.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
yeap - N9 is like that. But bear in mind that in the Jolla the UX is different, as you flip different screens by going up/down, so it'd be impractical to have 100s of open applications and have to scroll all the way down until you get to the launcher. That's the logic anyway, I'm not a UX designer ;-)
I dont have any UI design experience myself. :P

I have not been following the development phase of Jolla in recent months, but is it possible that someone could implement vertical scrolling of running apps (like N9) ONLY in multitasking screen, whereas swiping left or right to get back to normal Jolla app icons and maintaining the default vertical scrolling there?

I absolutely loved it when we got that app on the n900 where a light tap on the camera shutter button took us straight to the multitasking/app screen. That was genius.

Will modification of that level be available on the Jolla phone?

Please increase contrast (or less transparency) between text and background picture. My eyes are not that good anymore and for example reading email summaries or settings can be hard depending on the ambient light.
Are you talking about 1.0.1.10 (Laadunjärvi) which was released at Monday, or older release? Because 1.0.1.10 already increased the contrast.

The Following User Says Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by prosetheus View Post
I have not been following the development phase of Jolla in recent months, but is it possible that someone could implement vertical scrolling of running apps (like N9) ONLY in multitasking screen, whereas swiping left or right to get back to normal Jolla app icons and maintaining the default vertical scrolling there?
I have understood that Jolla uses Lipstick software to run the home screen (lock screen, switcher, launcher, ...). You probably can customize it. You can use QML to write screens for Lipstick

w00t can correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited by att; 2013-12-11 at 18:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience