I have never bought one before but i thought it would be nice to be able to have gps on my nokia n800, so could someone tell me whats he best receiver for it? or the best general bluetooth receiver i.e strong singal, fast, good battery life

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
It seems to me to really answer that question you would have had to buy a bunch of gps devices and tried them, like consumer reports. But no one has done that. Threads on this subject exist, but they are mostly old, and they don't cover what the latest release must be.

I'm happy wth my Holux GPSlim240. If you use words like GPSlim, you might be able to find the long thread about this.

Probably best to look at GPS comparison sites and see which chipset is the best in terms of SNR and with an obscured view of the sky (e.g. Sirf III, there's probably something newer out now though), then look for a BT GPS containing one of these chipsets.

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Navicore and N800 here.

I am using Map and I think it is OK not great but OK. Look for Navicore in ebay, I bought two of them all under $60. At least it is cheaper than N810 Map license fee.

Some people bought as close-out from CompUSA and did not realize they also need a N800.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Originally Posted by Hyuukai View Post
I have never bought one before but i thought it would be nice to be able to have gps on my nokia n800, so could someone tell me whats he best receiver for it? or the best general bluetooth receiver i.e strong singal, fast, good battery life
I have Wintec WBT-200 and I love it. Its very very small, has data logger build in and can record up to 25360 way points.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wintec-3-in-1-GP...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm happy with the freedom keychain. It's small and works great. I don't have any experience with others though.
http://www.freedominput.com/site/ind...111&Itemid=107

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
What do you plan on using the GPS receiver for?
Nokia 800 only?
Would it be worth getting a standalone automobile unit or handheld?
I could not envision SWMBO using my N810 but she can figure out a Nuvi.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Get the N800 Navigation Kit. It comes with (and costs about the same as) the Nokia LD-3W which is a pretty good and compact GPS receiver (Sirf III, I think), and you also get some goodies like a car charger, tablet windshield mount and memory card as well as the Navicore licence which is transferable to the Wayfinder "Map" application in OS2008 (which is not a great piece of navigation software by any means, but at least you won't have to pay extra for it).

If you don't care about the mount you can probably find the 770 navigation kit even cheaper.

Bluetooth GPS receivers are becoming commodities. Almost all of them use one of two chipsets, either SIRF or MTK, and both work well. It's mostly a matter of battery size (mostly inconsequential, since you'll want an external power source for long trips anyway), size, and price. I have an F-Tech solar mini, which has a solar cell which partially charges the battery from solar as it runs, giving more than enough power for all day if it's in the windshield, but you'll need external power if you drive for a long time at night. My suggestion is to buy on price, and get whatever is cheap, within reason of course.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Endicott, NY
I recently purchased a Holux M-1000 off E-bay for around $35 and I was quite impressed at how quickly it locked on to the sat's . The accuracy using yahoo streets on mapper is more than acceptable. I'm comparing this to my 5 year old Magellan GPS and this thing is light years ahead of the older technology at 1/10th the price I paid way back when.

Tags
gps navigation