Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
Totally disagree. I wanna stress, you don't need a faster processor for a faster phone, you just need an optimized OS. Nokia is the best at this, that's why their hardware is so "low-grade". On my N79, with something like 96 megs of RAM, I could run 28 applications at any given time, and they would run hang free unless the program was poorly written or bugged - like Opera Mobile 10s betas, they weren't ready yet, but when it was released it ran flawless.
I'd love to agree with this, but this is only correct in regards to Symbian. Maemo/MeeGo will need more horsepower due to their architecture.

And besides, it's not hard to optimize Symbian to run on lesser hardware. Anything above the original specs it was intended is a blessing.

It does add concern(s) to the fact that most OS's aren't as fast nor resource friendly as they need to be due to code bloat.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Yeah I know many people (mostly from American my guess), wants this too happen. But as an european I say no thanks :-( If this happens Microsoft this is really bad for open source.

I just say QT+KDE0QtQuick.

And reminds me of Oracle buying SUN mostly because of mysql...

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
The GHz and MB competition is what you do when you're out of ideas of what to do next.
Not exactly! The laptop dock thing that was introduced for the Atrix is a good idea.

Btw, if the rest of the market is getting built around those specs (Ghz and MB's), then you have to deliver it.

Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Btw, if the rest of the market is getting built around those specs (Ghz and MB's), then you have to deliver it.
All depends on the architecture of the CPU. And, as someone else pointed out in this thread, good software that's well written and optimised.

Remember when the first Pentiums came out? They were the fastest thing that Intel could produce at the time. AMD on the other hand could still beat them with the old 486/DX series.

Same thing happened with the AMD64 series of chips. They beat the hell out of the Pentiums with the same clock speeds.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Not exactly! The laptop dock thing that was introduced for the Atrix is a good idea.
Ok, that sounds nice.

I think it won't be that simple. In the end, there's always the problem with battery. Just increasing the spec gradually won't do it like it did for desktop PCs. Not for very long.

Maemo is optimized. Graphically, it doesn't perform the best. Still runs fine, just not great. The OS itself though is pretty quick.

Keep in mind, since most of Nokia's products are Symbian-based, even if Maemo wasn't optimized, they're still doing pretty well.

Maemo/MeeGo will need more horsepower due to their architecture
I don't understand this. Clocked at 600Mhz A8, and 256MB of RAM, I've seen a PR1.1 and PR1.2 N900 run 16+ applications flawlessly, with about no lag. PR1.3 and overclocked to 1Ghz is fabulous.

MeeGo shouldn't require anymore power than Maemo does. The UI will be properly handled by the GPU so that'll take some load off the processor. If anything, slightly more RAM would be needed. Hypothetically however, MeeGo should run better than Maemo.

Edit:
The link below my post also strongly reiterates what I'm talking about.

Edit again:

Only using 180.1 megabytes of the N900s "pathetic" 256 megabytes of ram. No slowdowns, OS is running smooth. Only lag was experienced when I went to go close all of those applications, the framerate dropped slightly then.

Of course, you would rarely ever run this many applications, but it goes to show if you wanted to truly multitask with 4 or 5 major applications, the N900's "pathetic" Cortex A8 can handle it.

I didn't overclock by the way, downscaled back to 250 and 600.

Having an optimized OS on my N900... I wish!
So what are you running on your N900 exactly? Windows Mobile?

Last edited by mattbutsko; 2011-01-08 at 23:45. Reason: More points.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on May 2010 @ France
Yep, It’s Still All About Efficiency And Not Clock speed :

http://thenokiaguide.com/2010/11/10/...ot-clock-peed/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dtergens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Wouldn't that be like being in a rowboat and purchased by the Titanic?

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
MS buys Nokia and then what?
  • Ditch WP7 and persuade HTC etc to use Symbian/Meego?
  • Ditch Symbian/Meego and and make WP7 phones that nobody wants?
  • Let Nokia continue on an independent course?

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
All depends on the architecture of the CPU. And, as someone else pointed out in this thread, good software that's well written and optimised.

Remember when the first Pentiums came out? They were the fastest thing that Intel could produce at the time. AMD on the other hand could still beat them with the old 486/DX series.

Same thing happened with the AMD64 series of chips. They beat the hell out of the Pentiums with the same clock speeds.
Ok, I understand quality over quantity. Comparable thing would be megapixels. Megapixels's don't make your photos better.

But the point here actually is how are you going to sell your stuff against the competition? Did Nokia ever market saying it doesn't need that much horsepower in its phone as they have a much superior architecture and a well written code?

Good or bad, the end consumer before making his purchase, definitely compares the specs with other phones. He might be actually dumb in doing so but remember, your consumer is always right in what he does. So, how will Nokia fare in his comparisons?

Ok, take it this way. Needed or not, you have to compete on the spec level atleast for marketing reasons.

You gave an example of Intel and AMD, fair enough. But you know who is still the King right?

Tags
circle jerk, just shoot me, misspelled lazy, trollpower, us vs eu