Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
So if Meego 1.2 isnt going to be ready till April, why are some sites reporting that Nokia N9 (with Meeho I presume) will be announced in Feb at MWC ? Hard logic to follow - unless of course its back to Nokia's old Announce-Release cycle where there is a period of 6 months between the two. If that is the case then who cares.

Otherwise I dont see how Nokia can release a Meego device with a complete Meego stack and its own proprietary components when Meego itself will not be ready.

The old N9 hardware photo though still loOks very nice. Compare that to all the generic looking phoNes bought out by Samsung/HTC. Particlularly the Android phones all look similar in shape (rounded corner rectangular slab) with same looking 4 hardware or software buttons at the bottom. I understand the phones might have different internals (like the Atric) but externally they look the same (and a bit boring now).
1. The sites are wrong.
x. N9 announced but have to wait months or years before it hit the stores.
2. Nokia release a meego hybrid(half meego, Maemo 6)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
So if Meego 1.2 isnt going to be ready till April, why are some sites reporting that Nokia N9 (with Meeho I presume) will be announced in Feb at MWC ? Hard logic to follow - unless of course its back to Nokia's old Announce-Release cycle where there is a period of 6 months between the two. If that is the case then who cares.

Because "nobody" knows about harmattan/Maemo 6 and Nokia for sure isn't marketing that name.

Will N9 ship with MeeGo-Harmattan or pure MeeGo? I tend to think that it will ship with MeeGo-Harmattan where Nokia has gone so far as they can to make it as compatible as they can to pure MeeGo, do i really know, no.

Major blogs have no idea about all this and i have not seen any of them mentioning harmattan, not saying they should know though.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Never said it was inferior. MeeGo just isn't out yet. It needs to be out for me to say anything about how it is either better, worse or compares to anything else out there.
You sure 'bout that ?

The argument against dual core cpus for the next Nokia released phone is that MeeGo isn't optimized for it.
But more work has been done in getting Android to utilize multiple cores.
Anyway, MeeGo actually has far more public multicore hardware than Android, it's just that you need to take the Nokia glasses off. There is the myriad of dual-core atom systems, from ARM side there is the Pandaboard, and, yes, even Tegra2 builds exist. Also, Honeycomb and Xoom et al are not released yet.

And, the usual - there is no such thing as a "final version of MeeGo" - there are only releases. There was a 1.0 release, a 1.1, a 1.2, there will be a 1.3, etc. Calling any of them final or even 'ready' is misleading at best (you will not see any version on retail products of major vendors anyway without the appropriate level of customization and optimization).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)

Otherwise I dont see how Nokia can release a Meego device with a complete Meego stack and its own proprietary components when Meego itself will not be ready.

The old N9 hardware photo though still loOks very nice. Compare that to all the generic looking phoNes bought out by Samsung/HTC. Particlularly the Android phones all look similar in shape (rounded corner rectangular slab) with same looking 4 hardware or software buttons at the bottom. I understand the phones might have different internals (like the Atric) but externally they look the same (and a bit boring now).
Man I dislike, dislike, dislike Motorola..................but the facts that itīs not their own mangled operating system, but Android, and that the Atrix will be able to do what I hoped my next device after the N95, the N900, could do but canīt, means that Iīm very very tempted by the Atrix.

The N900 probably couldīve done the above tasks with proper Nokia support but we know how that went.

Iīll give Nokia a chance until the fall to get the N9 smoothed and coming out working like the Atrix, with a laptop dock and a desktop dock. If not, itīs Android and the ugly-M baby. Iīm not setting my hopes high up for Nokia though, itīs getting quite late in the game.

I want to carry 1 device and then docking stations around for work and play. 1 processing unit and then peripherals. Period.

Last edited by olighak; 2011-01-14 at 23:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
Would it be crazy to suggest that perhaps the N9 we all saw has now been scrapped?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BK201 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
Would it be crazy to suggest that perhaps the N9 we all saw has now been scrapped?
you can't be sure you have seen the n9 and you can't be sure it will be called n9. Their will be a first meego phone...in 350 days that is.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
You sure 'bout that ?
Yep, I'm sure about that. Saying something isn't optimized doesn't equate to inferior by any stretch of your imagination. If it's not optimized today, it can be tomorrow.

Anyway, MeeGo actually has far more public multicore hardware than Android, it's just that you need to take the Nokia glasses off. There is the myriad of dual-core atom systems, from ARM side there is the Pandaboard, and, yes, even Tegra2 builds exist. Also, Honeycomb and Xoom et al are not released yet.
I'm not the person with Nokia glasses on. In fact, stating that I, of all people, have Nokia glasses on is amazingly hysterical. Having dual cores and being threaded all the way down to all of your processes are two different things. Can't wait to see that level of optimization in all areas on any of these mobile OS's.

And, the usual - there is no such thing as a "final version of MeeGo" - there are only releases. There was a 1.0 release, a 1.1, a 1.2, there will be a 1.3, etc. Calling any of them final or even 'ready' is misleading at best (you will not see any version on retail products of major vendors anyway without the appropriate level of customization and optimization).
And by "final" I meant released in a product that folks can go out and buy. I don't mean the WeTab - it's not out in any other region(s) than Germany and Belgium (or is that Holland).

Wow, you swung and missed on all of your "points". Nice leap of faith though. I give you a B- on that alone.

Ciao!

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
349...three...four...nine...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Yep, I'm sure about that. Saying something isn't optimized doesn't equate to inferior by any stretch of your imagination. If it's not optimized today, it can be tomorrow.
Even if we forego these blanket statements you provided no basis for, now somehow 'M isn't optimized and A has seen more work' does not imply M is inferior to A... Well, if that doesn't mean M is inferior it can only mean A is so hopeless that even though it's being heavily worked on, it cannot rise above unoptimized status. Dunno, must be my English.

I'm not the person with Nokia glasses on. In fact, stating that I, of all people, have Nokia glasses on is amazingly hysterical. Having dual cores and being threaded all the way down to all of your processes are two different things. Can't wait to see that level of optimization in all areas on any of these mobile OS's.
Well, good news ! Meego and Qt already do that.

And by "final" I meant released in a product that folks can go out and buy. I don't mean the WeTab - it's not out in any other region(s) than Germany and Belgium (or is that Holland).
Then I can say - that final version will never-ever be released, except for maybe low-q knockoffs. Every vendor will do their optimizations. That's why you can't say 'ready'. MeeGo 1.1 might not have functionality/service X, or might sluggish because of driver Y, but that does not mean products based on it don't have that sorted out (just like you count the services Google provides towards Android features even though they are not part of the core OS features).

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
I will keep track of any good mobile news. Still, my N900 contract runs till december 2011 so imma sit back and enjoy the Q1, then 2, followed by 3 and then in Q4 look for a decent successor of the N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blipnl For This Useful Post:

Tags
best of 2011, douchebaggery, douchethread, fud fud fap fap, how to quote, i need drugs, wait for meego!, what is n9?, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz