Active Topics

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
Hi I was wondering if I can get any tips.
I want to get a netbook or small laptop, to take notes in classes (I do it already in the n800, but I want something bigger)
Something with a good touchscreen, full keyboard, 9-12" screen.
I'm saving now and pretenf to buy in late february/early march so anything YET to come would be nice too. I'm hoping to save around 400-500 USD so something around that price would be ok.
Have you seen something like this?

The Gigabyte netbook is an option http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...ProductID=2835

Plus the next Asus netbooks will be touch screen - 9 and 10 inch models were at CES:

http://i.gizmodo.com/5124948/asus-t9...ertible-eee-pc

As for taking notes - the gigabyte isn't good for inking, as you cannot rest your hand on the screen. I suspect the asus models will be the same.

Well, mostly current netbooks aren't available with touchscreens, but no-solder touchscreen kits for 7, 9, & 10" Eee PCs are available from dealextreme, among others, for ~60 USD, so that could be an option.

For not-yet-released devices, I rather like the looks of the Viliv S7, though it is a bit smaller than you're after. But I'm not sure that's a bad thing, because all devices I know in your price range have resistive touchscreens, which means, as paulkoan pointed out, they're hard to write with. Keeping the bezel near where you're writing mitigates this.

The other option -- a big screen with a digitizer -- is nicer, but more expensive. I paid 850 for my tx2000 (I think you said your sister has one, so you know the model?), but there were tx2500s on woot for 650 a while back, and I'd guess you might find a tx2000 on ebay under 600; even that's still more than you're looking for.

yeah I was also thinking about a tx2*** but its still out of the price range. And with the dollar as it is, I can't think about one of those yet. Maybe I should just keep saving, and wait for prices to fall, until I meet something I like. I saw the viliv, but it seems to be coming with a big price tag. As for the kits, I'd do that, but I think I like convertibles better. Anything similar to the tx2000 series?

Originally Posted by eliagp View Post
Anything similar to the tx2000 series?
Well... yes... but they're all more expensive (last I checked). :/

Seems like I'm gonna have to keep saving. I'll aim for a tx, but if in march I can't get one, I guess I'll go with a touchscreen netbook.
I hope something better comes while i save.
Thanks for the tips!

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
i just got myself a nice lenovo x41 - its a 12inch convertible touch device.
uses wacom touch, so its pen based rather than finger.

i got it extremely cheaply from ebay.

I think that if I got into full tablet mode, I prefer the specs on the hp tx2- series.
They have better specs. The only letdown is that HP doesn't have anyway to repair broken laptops. The just replace if its under warranty (which I don't get if I ebay)

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
i have about 18 months left on the lenovo warranty
(confirmed via serial number)

i wouldv also liked something else, but this does the job has a great battery and runs ubuntu very nicely indeed

*Update* Asus 1000he on the way. I know its not a tablet, but the 7-8 hours of battery life got me.
Besides I got a good price on a wacom bamboo fun. I know its not an ideal solution, but I will try and see how it works. I've never owned a graphic tablet, and I´m toatally loving it. Its light and thin enough to match a netbook, and I get the "hover" and the pressure settings, so I think it will work ok.

Tags
netbook, notes, touchscreen