Active Topics

Closed Thread
Thanks for the kind words!

The Internet Tablet School is taking a short break until mid-November, but then we'll be back doing regular tutorials. Everything is explained on the site:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...-on-pause.html

The existing tutorials will all still be accessible, but we're waiting for the new tablet operating system before doing any new tutorials.

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
I love your site, consider an FAQ so people can find the harder to find tutorials and maybe one about copy/paste?

Edit: And right-click too, but I'll assume that's already covered under internet radio

Last edited by Jobester; 2007-10-29 at 20:38.

Krisse, Thank you for all the tutorials. My N800 should arrive this week and I can't wait to learn how to use it. I have one question. What does a new user need to do first with the N800. Are there things you need to download or software that needs to be installed. I am not familar with the operating system at all and I am feeling a little anxious about how it all works.

Once again thank you for all your hard work for us newbies.

Kathy

Originally Posted by sja68 View Post
Krisse, Thank you for all the tutorials. My N800 should arrive this week and I can't wait to learn how to use it. I have one question. What does a new user need to do first with the N800. Are there things you need to download or software that needs to be installed. I am not familar with the operating system at all and I am feeling a little anxious about how it all works.

Once again thank you for all your hard work for us newbies.

Kathy
Right, the first thing to do is... don't worry! The N800 is one of the easiest devices to use and requires very little technical knowledge.

When you first get the N800, you have to put the battery in the compartment, then charge the tablet for the first time. It will tell you when it's full on the screen.

You then have to set it up to connect to the internet, either through a wifi network (home networks usually use wifi) or through your mobile phone. There's a "new connection" icon in the top row which lets you pick from any nearby wifi connections, and you then enter the access code for that network to connect. You only have to enter an access code once, it remembers it for future use.

Once you've got the N800 charged and the connection set up... that's it, it should work straight away. Just click on the globe, open a new browser window and you're on the web.

If you want to install extra applications you can do it by the following method (but this is totally optional, you don't really need any other apps to use the tablet):

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...lling-new.html

Even if you never install extra apps, the one thing you really should do at some point is to update the tablet's firmware (although for some reason Nokia calls this "updating the software"). In a couple of weeks time it will be especially important as there will be a brand new version of the tablet operating system called ITOS 2008, which will introduce a much better browser and (apparently) an easier interface too, along with other improvements. ITOS 2008 is fully compatible with the N800.

If you have access to a Windows PC you can upgrade your N800 to the latest firmware by using the Tablet Update Wizard, which you can find here:

http://europe.nokia.com/A4305010

The wizard will give you full instructions on how to do the update. Make sure you do actually follow them, and don't fiddle with the cable during the update. Make sure the tablet has a full charge and that the cables are firmly connected before you start.

Originally Posted by Jobester View Post
I love your site, consider an FAQ so people can find the harder to find tutorials and maybe one about copy/paste?
I hope the categories at the side of the page let people know where to find stuff, and they can also search using the search box at the top.

As for new tutorials, I'm waiting to see how the new OS 2008 works first, as it may work differently to the current OS 2007.

Last edited by krisse; 2007-10-29 at 17:29.

Kriss, will you be doing a tutorial on claw-mail? I have tried to set this up and can't get anywhere with it. Could really use some help.

Thanks for all you do for us Newbies.

Kathy

I think I can run my n800 pretty good when it finally gets here this weekend lol. Thanks for the tuts they are helpful. Reading how to's are nothing compared to visually seeing it performed.

Originally Posted by sja68 View Post
Kriss, will you be doing a tutorial on claw-mail? I have tried to set this up and can't get anywhere with it. Could really use some help.

Thanks for all you do for us Newbies.

Kathy
I'll take a look at that, I know it's a popular application. I can't promise anything though as the new tutorials will all cover OS 2008 (the new operating system for N800 and N810 tablets), and I don't know which apps are available for it yet.

Thanks for the tuts they are helpful. Reading how to's are nothing compared to visually seeing it performed.
Thanks, that's exactly why I try to do a video for every tutorial. The idea is that the video and text work together, the video shows you generally what you're meant to do and the text gives you all the extra details that you might need. It also shows that the tutorial instructions do actually work, because I wouldn't be able to video it otherwise.

To get the most out of the tutorials it's well worth watching the video first, then reading through the text when you try doing whatever it is on your own tablet.

Also a good tutorial on how to backup all things is welcome

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Another new tutorial, this time a very in-depth look at the Handwriting Recognition feature. I started out thinking this feature was really awful, but the more I've gotten to know how it works the more I appreciate it.

If you set it up correctly, handwriting recognition lets you input text very quickly and in a very flexible way.

Anyhow, here's everything you need to know about using handwriting on the N800:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...p-and-use.html

Any mistakes or comments, let me know.
Thanks very much!! I applaud your efforts!
I am very curious to persist with pen input. Qwerty is just too inefficient. Short of a 'Fitaly' or other style virtual keypad, I am going to give handwriting input a good try to keep the ol motor skills still working.

Keep up the great work, this newbie is most grateful.

Originally Posted by iontruo2 View Post
Thanks very much!! I applaud your efforts!
I am very curious to persist with pen input. Qwerty is just too inefficient. Short of a 'Fitaly' or other style virtual keypad, I am going to give handwriting input a good try to keep the ol motor skills still working.

Keep up the great work, this newbie is most grateful.
Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this as useful!

On the handwriting, one mistake I made a lot was waiting for the previous letter to appear before writing the next letter. In fact you can carry on writing even if the tablet is still thinking about the previous letter, and if you do this your writing speed becomes much higher.

Another thing to do is have the patience to correct its mistakes the first few hours you use it. Once you do this, the number of mistakes drops dramatically. I think most of the bad press that handwriting recognition gets is because most users can't be bothered to correct mistakes. If they did, the mistakes would mostly stop coming.

Closed Thread