My n810 recently broke (charging pin broke) after awning it for about 3 months. I work as a computer tech in retail so I am more than familiar with warranty procedures and policies. I call nokia and talked to them about sorting out a return. I honestly wish I recorded the call, here is basically what I was told.

They said since I lived in Canada and I purchased a device with a US serial number, they didn't have the facilities to repair it in Canada. After asking why, I was then told the devices used different software (huh?) so the Canadian repair center didn't have the facilites to repair it. I said fine, let me ship it to the US and have it repaired there. They then told me that I could do that but Nokia wouldn't ship my device back overseas to me. I kindly pointed out that the US and Canada were actually one big piece of land, and that I would send the device in a pre-paid mailer to it would cost nokia absolutely nothing. Once again, I was told that was not possible. After asking why, I was told it was in the warranty policy that it wasn't possible....

I have NEVER seen such horrible neglect of customer service. Of all my experiences with warranty repairs I have never seen a policy like nokias.

I loved this device too. What am I going to buy now? A palm?

[/rant]

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Morhas View Post
They said since I lived in Canada and I purchased a device with a US serial number, they didn't have the facilities to repair it in Canada. After asking why, I was then told the devices used different software (huh?) so the Canadian repair center didn't have the facilites to repair it.
This part is interesting. Do they already have Fremantle in Canada? Or are they still on Mistral? Questions, questions,...

However, the final point is: Nokia forgets about you as a customer once you bought their device. I still have nightmares about the months when I waited for my 770 to be repaired. When I got it back after several complaints, it was a different device, scratched all over the backside and the metal cover, but I got a spare battery cover. (And I'm still convinced that the only reason I got anything back at all was that the company I work for was the only one who sold the 770 in my country and I asked our responsible manager to do something about it.)

Regardless, it's a pin that needs to be soldered back on. They don't even need to turn the effing thing on.

I would relay it for you. I'm not going to pay for anything, but I would act as an intermediary.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Morhas View Post
Regardless, it's a pin that needs to be soldered back on. They don't even need to turn the effing thing on.
I don't know about that... The N800 doesn't have any solder there. The charging socket is just pressed against the board.

Your story sends a chill up my spine, because I live in Vancouver and both of my N800s have US serial numbers, so that means neither of them are under any kind of warranty.

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Morhas,

You may want to consider using a UPS store as an intermediary, if you are close to the US border as 90% of us Canadians are. I have stuff shipped to a UPS store in NY state (I am in Ottawa) all the time. Then a short scenic drive, answer some silly questions, and I pick up my package, which the vendor couldn't possibly send to Canada.

I hope this helps,

Craig...

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
hmm .. how do I determine if I have a US S/N?

Too bad if you have a US serial number I guess (how did
that happen - buy it south of the border?)

My n810 suffered keyboard failure. Nokia sent a replacement
in 10 days total (from time I sent the borked one). Now, I
did buy the first one from the Nokia CANADIAN web store,
but their service was great.