Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Montreal Quebec CANADA
Originally Posted by zeusenergy View Post
According to The General, it seems we are all newbies and should just go away. Sorry dude, but your attitude in almost all of your posts (that I have read, and I have read quite a few) is negative or obtuse towards the poster.
Agreed and I am afraid that talking about this derails the direction that thread was originally intended to go in.

Guy posts, General comes on and say this thread already exists elsewhere, ITT forum noob tries to apologize/make amends/plead ignorance... this is like the 3rd or 4th time I have seen it... kind of annoying...

I like the new version, video and youtube work much better, I LOVE Canola, and am glad to have all the apps I like back on there, camera, recorder, FM radio, Garnet VM, Pidgin... I do not seem to be having thumb board problems...

Anyhow for me it is 2 thumbs, pointing to the stars
I played with the Sharp Line of personal organizers, then discovered Palm... m100-m500-Zire 71-Zire 72-Palm TX... used Tapwave Zodiac 2 for a bit and watched it sputter and die... and now it is Nokia Time. Don't let us down.

Originally Posted by nokiabear View Post
Agreed and I am afraid that talking about this derails the direction that thread was originally intended to go in.

Guy posts, General comes on and say this thread already exists elsewhere, ITT forum noob tries to apologize/make amends/plead ignorance... this is like the 3rd or 4th time I have seen it... kind of annoying...

I like the new version, video and youtube work much better, I LOVE Canola, and am glad to have all the apps I like back on there, camera, recorder, FM radio, Garnet VM, Pidgin... I do not seem to be having thumb board problems...

Anyhow for me it is 2 thumbs, pointing to the stars
Maybe you should have said Quoted for posterity

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I like the new OS, but it obviously needs polish. Well-written submissions to bugzilla and votes on existing bugs will help much in that regard.

As for the impatient replies by some senior members, surely the newcomers can understand if they look outside themselves at the bigger picture. Surely the shoe has been on the other foot for them, somewhere else, in some other context.

Regardless, I think we can all play nice together if we want to. This forum is getting too big for anything less.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jebus, and the war begins. Ever opinionated, here I go.

90% of the times The General (Sorry, I like that nickname) has said a thread is redundant, it has been. Every time someone buys a tablet, there's a new thread with their commentary, shattered expectations, rants about things being broken, and the same stock standard troubleshooting/replies.

I hope the old crusty users here don't seem unfriendly, but guys... it's been over 2 yrs for some of us and you start feeling like free tech support. Everyone, The General included is more than willing to help out (in fact I've seen about a 10 to 1 post ratio over the past week of him helping someone no questions asked vs. identifying a redundant thread).

If you want to get an idea of how some of the old timers feel, log in, and read every single new thread with the express purpose of trying to help someone with troubleshooting.

We do. It grinds ya down sometimes. I promise I'll always be my sarcastic self though!

Hugs & Kisses,
Hedge

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hedgecore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
Jebus, and the war begins. Ever opinionated, here I go.

90% of the times The General (Sorry, I like that nickname) has said a thread is redundant, it has been. Every time someone buys a tablet, there's a new thread with their commentary, shattered expectations, rants about things being broken, and the same stock standard troubleshooting/replies.

I hope the old crusty users here don't seem unfriendly, but guys... it's been over 2 yrs for some of us and you start feeling like free tech support.
Hedge
Yes! Hedge, you've got a point. This is important and so is this thread to keep newer users on the right track when it comes to deciding on upgrading to os2008. I have nothing against The General personally. But for those technically inclined people who frequent these forums, you need to be the idealistic shaman which newbies can come to for help- after all, what are forums for? I agree that some people don't like or even know enough to search first. Of course I've been in many forums myself, so I have the experience and knowledge to be that afforementioned shaman. And I have.
The thing is- you can't complain about it when you have the responsibility to help others. Yes, it is the responsibility of the veteran Nokia users that post here. If you know the answer and you see the post, why not do your part to help out? Without the ongoing input from people like you or the General then others will never learn or find answers.
You don't know how many times I have explained the choices available to Tacoma owners for lifting their truck, and how to go about the work. Or how many times I have explained how to build a simple relay driven circuit. Or how to use, cut, and paint acrylic parts for modding PCs. Blah, blah, blah. But I still help those people who ask. And I've even put together tutorials for the "canned answer" approach, to save time and have the users get a comprehensive document relating to their questions. Maybe it's because being a part of the Tacoma forums (TTORA-NE) we actually met in the flesh, worked together with blood sweat and tears, and broke our trucks on the trail and needed to fix them together that gives me a different more personal view of how to treat other members of a forum, veteran and newbie alike.

Now that the dust is settling, more apps (i.e. rdesktop, canola, maemo mapper) seem to be downloading, installing and running correctly for me. I think OS2008 on the N800 rocks..

Last edited by bigbaycny; 2007-12-24 at 20:54.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
As I noted in my "Merry Christmas" thread here, I managed to get 3 seemingly perfect OS2008 installs on tablets that had old versions of OS2008 on them... so obviously prior OS version is a critical factor... just as backup restore vs no backup restore may be another.

Anyway I second Hedgie's remarks. The 10% of the time that his tongue isn't stretching his cheek out, he makes some fairly reasonable points! and

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Thumbs way up.

BTW: I was in tech support for 8 years in one company, more in others. I heard a lot of repeat questions, and saw a lot of them on forums and in email as well. So it's not like the topic cops are experiencing something I can't comprehend.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
BTW: I was in tech support for 8 years in one company, more in others. I heard a lot of repeat questions, and saw a lot of them on forums and in email as well. So it's not like the topic cops are experiencing something I can't comprehend.
Yes, but you were compensated for your work, so you'll understand when those of us who aren't compensated want just a tiny bit of effort from newbies in return for all of our efforts.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Sorry but I am also a newbie and it is not the easiest place to perform searches - using the inbuilt search it returns tons of links i.e. search for "770 compare n800" and you get lots of hits, most of them are not applicable to what you are looking for... Also there are times when you look for something which is like something someone asked before but not quite i.e. how is the performance comparison between devices... Maybe the thing to do create a new sticky for these sort of questions or create a new forum as the tablet comparison questions seem to keep on popping up!

Also while it sucks to be a newbie asking these sorts of questions it is nice when an experienced user group strives to be helpful and welcomes the new flock into the fold rather than giving them the cold shoulder and telling them to do a search instead... I also agree that it sucks to have to repeat yourself over and over again but building the user base rather than alienating them (especially people with little to no technical experience) would be the better approach...