Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Also, where does that package exactly come from? It's not installed here...

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West London, UK
Apologies for thread necromancy, but since I've just pointed someone else at this thread, the missing contents of the files mentioned in my previous post:

Code:
/etc/resolv.conf : 

nameserver 127.0.0.1

/etc/network/interfaces : 

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
/etc/network/interfaces then also contains some USB networking config but I don't think that's relevant.

To answer Andre: No, I never needed to reflash in the end - my device continued to work as normal after fixing this.

The Following User Says Thank You to shiny For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shiny View Post
Hello all. First post here (and I'm afraid it's a problem, sorry.) I've had an N900 since early December - amazing little device and I'm a satisfied customer. Unfortunately today something quite odd has happened, and I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on it.

It seems that somehow the internal audio system has become "locked" - whenever I try to play any audio, either nothing happens or (as in the case of Media Player) I get a message to the effect of "Audio already in use by another application." Rebooting has no effect. I recently had a random reboot I had while using maemo-pc-connectivity, which may be the root of the problem.

Some other odd behaviour too that I think may be related:

- Anyone calling by phone can't be heard
- Calling out by phone forces other caller to speakerphone
- Nokia Video on bootup plays as expected
- /usr/bin/browser hangs at 100%
- Any kind of DNS resolution appears to be broken
- Text message noises etc. are replaced by a system "beep"

I have some extras-devel/extras-testing apps installed. While comfortable with the command-line, I don't know much about the internals of the N900 so it would be great if anyone could point me in the direction of what might be going on.
i had the same problem after i had been trying to get usb networking to work (using maemo-pc-connectivity following the instruction here http://pc-connectivity.garage.maemo.org/) between my N900 and an XP desktop. instead of trying to fix the problem, i just did a re-flash.

anyway, what i'd like to know is if you were also trying to get usb networking to work. did you succeed? i kind of got it working initially, that i could ping and ssh between the N900 and my PC. then i installed the dummy connection package. i probably did something i shouldn't have done and that's when my N900 crashed and lost the audio. so i re-flashed and had another go at usb networking and now i could only get the interfaces up on both sides but there's no communication between the two (i.e. can ping oneself but not the other).

Originally Posted by shiny View Post
Code:
/etc/resolv.conf : 

nameserver 127.0.0.1

/etc/network/interfaces : 

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
/etc/network/interfaces then also contains some USB networking config but I don't think that's relevant.
Worked like charm, almost..

(Obviously) I had to remove that messy pc-connectivity-manager at first.

I couldn't get it to work without shutting down n900 (rebooting somehow didn't worked with sound issue).

I had to remove that usb networking section at all (but maybe coz I've messed it a bit in meantime) to make dns resolving works.

thx shiny resolv was proper, but interfaces contained 2 usb0 entries, so I removed one and rebooted.
Problem solved

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Lagos, Nigeria.
had a similar problem where i couldnt use the camera as it kept saying CANNOT START CAMERA. AUDIO IN USE BY ANOTHER APPLICATION. after much, i was able to resolve it by starting the media player from the widget and closing the application window.

My N900 has the exact same problems - "audio in use by another application", phone always on speaker, web pages not loading - but I checked my /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/network/interfaces and they already have what you posted in them. Are there any other files that perform the same functions? I don't have another N900 to compare with...

I have confirmed that it is a DNS problem with the web - if I enter the IP address of a server instead of a web address, I can view the pages fine. I can also SSH into the N900. But I have the same thing in /etc/resolv.conf: "nameserver 127.0.0.1". Any ideas?

I've run into the same problem (no ringtone, phone on speaker, no DNS, mediaplayer and camera stall because they can't use audio). A few weeks ago I set up USB networking and added usb0 to /etc/network/interfaces, as described in http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_USB_networking , and after restarting my N900 (after a flight) it was in this weird state.

Now, I fixed this by returning /etc/network/interfaces to its original state. The weirdest part is, though, that just commenting out the lines pertaining to usb0 didn't do the trick, only deleting them altogether does.

Any comments / explanations? It looks to me that using USB networking requires keeping two versions of /etc/network/interfaces, one without the usb0 entries, to be used during startup, and the other to be used for USB tethering...

Hi,
I have just installed kernel power 49 and I have suddenly the (same) problem - camera claims that audio is used, media player doesnt see any song,video. However I can play video using kmplayer.
So: just removing all usb lines from /etc/networking/interfaces didnt help to me. (neither did cp libFLAC to /usr/lib)

Later on ... I have found that if I restarted in "general", not silent regime, the behavior changed - and after fcam-drivers from devel, I get the camera working. But I returns later, no idea why. Media player and images cannot see files and directories.

Edit later: Reflashed.

Last edited by jaromrax; 2011-11-30 at 10:37.