So after losing my N800 for 3 weeks I've given up on looking for it. I'm looking to buy a replacement. Currently I'm stuck between an N810 and an iPod Touch. I've always preferred anything Nokia over Apple but the ipod touch is in a field of its own. It just looks and feels too good.

I mainly used the tablet for messaging over Pidgin and surfing the web. I used to have a Zune for music but I sold that. I'm in need of a moderately priced device that can play music very well, has a good internet browser (WebKit), and messaging capabilities. The last two point towards the N810 but when I throw in the music player I'm stuck leaning toward the ipod.

Is there possibly something like an open source ipod touch? Or maybe a miniature N810?

Originally Posted by arashed31 View Post
Is there possibly something like an open source ipod touch?
A used N800? They're regularly available, and not too spendy...

I don't really know of any other devices that fit what you're looking for.

Anyway, if you can, you might want to hold off till summer; either the Pandora (if/when it hits production...) or the RX-51 should blow the doors off any currently available device.

i'm with you, the audio output of the n800 isn't very nice at all. i get loots of digital noise when i plug a decent set of headphones in. now i carry my old ipod mini for music, n800 for notes and net, and an old phone. i'm still waiting for one device that can perform all 3 functions. might be the next nokia tablet or maybe the palm pre?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I'd look at the GiiNii Mini Movit (Android non-phone device). Unless you want the WWAN, in which case: look at the G1 if you want a keyboard, or wait for the imminent G2 (supposedly based on the HTC Sapphire 2.0) if you don't. (unfortunately, there isn't a "data only plan" for the G1, so you can't ONLY use it as a data device)

It's not going to be the best PMP, but then, I don't think of the NITs when I think of media players, so everyone who gets all up in arms about media capabilities just sounds silly to me (if you want a PMP, get something like an Archos, not a new NIT).

It's not going to be the best game machine. If you want that, look at OpenPandora or a PSP.

Android is, however, a good, solid, generalist platform that happens to be open source. You don't get an xterm for accessing it's linux layer, but there are things like SSH and VNC clients for it, so you can access the shell of some other linux/unix box if you want. And there's already a fairly nice application ecosystem for Android.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by jimb View Post
i'm with you, the audio output of the n800 isn't very nice at all. i get loots of digital noise when i plug a decent set of headphones in. now i carry my old ipod mini for music, n800 for notes and net, and an old phone. i'm still waiting for one device that can perform all 3 functions. might be the next nokia tablet or maybe the palm pre?
The next tablet will have significantly better audio output. It's using one of TI's high-end headphone amps.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
ooh, that sounds nice. me going to find information on the next nit...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by jimb View Post
ooh, that sounds nice. me going to find information on the next nit...
Here's some.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
The iPhone doesn't support multi tasking. If you chat, you can't do anything else. And if you do anything else, you get logged out of chat - makes it not really an Internet device - more like a glitzy one-trick-pony.

Android at least supports background "services" and chat programs take advantage of that.

The Internet Tablet is basically full-fledged Linux PC, so no limitations (although maybe also the least polished of these three)

Martin

lol. All this talk about the new tablet is driving me up a wall. I so want one! ^_^;;

Originally Posted by m_stolle View Post
The iPhone doesn't support multi tasking. If you chat, you can't do anything else. And if you do anything else, you get logged out of chat - makes it not really an Internet device - more like a glitzy one-trick-pony.
If you bring this up on an Apple forum the reply will be variations on "why ever would you want to do two things at once?".