It seems that whenever Diablo successfully connects to the internet, it always immediately starts performing an "apt-get update". Having software update notifications is fair and good, however when having a fairly long list of sources means that its CPU gets hogged up for several minutes, and the entire OS becomes unresponsive until the update completes. So, considering that usually when I connect to my access point I'd most likely want to immediately open up a webpage or some similar activity, having the browser freeze up at this moment can be quite annoying.

So does anyone have an idea how to disable this behaviour? I'm pretty certain I'm adept enough to manually check updates from the terminal when I feel like it, rather than having it interrupt me when the poor little tablet is already so slow.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Ponte Vedra, FL, USA
Wouldn't disabling all the repositories solve this?

That's one solution, but then that prevents me from browsing applications easily, and I'd have to reenable them all again if I decide to check for updates on a stable connection.

Welp, in case anyone is looking for a solution to this, the correct solution is basically to set a GConf key to increase the app manager's auto update period to something very very long so that it doesn't run every single darn time, as described in this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=10

The Following User Says Thank You to zanglang For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
I followed that link and did that in xterm, now my tablet is unresponsive, cpu spiked, even a rebooot didnt fix it, any ideas?

The Following User Says Thank You to munky261 For This Useful Post:
Is your tablet online? I'm guessing it's apt getting scheduled to run. Try running 'top' to check which processes are using the most CPU, or ssh into your terminal to run 'top' if your user interface is too slow to do that, or do 'ps ax | grep apt' to see if it dumps a huge list of /usr/libexec/apt-worker ...' processes.

I cant do anything, even when i tap my load applet to the to get the processes to come up, it never comes up...the cpu is just staying pegged. All I did was copy and paste that command, nothing else.

Try setting your tablet to offline mode so if apt is running it'll get terminated.

Ok, that did it, and I just go back to normal mode and everything should be cool?

Since you've interrupted the update checking, it'll probably still have to complete once anyway the next time your tablet goes online. I'd say just plug in the AC adapter, go online and just let it run by itself for a while (1 hour++), so that once apt completes successfully it won't auto start any more.