Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Kent Multer View Post
I read in a review that the N800 has a "mini" USB socket, while the N810 has a "micro." Admittedly it's not a major difference, but I figure that I may be using that socket a lot.
The difference is the OTG support. MiniUSB doesn't technically support OTG (within the regs of the spec), while MicroUSB does. Though it's really not a hardware problem, as the N800 support OTG just fine if you hack together your own cable/dongle.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
MiniUSB doesn't technically support OTG (within the regs of the spec), while MicroUSB does.
Well, there are mini AB receptacles for OTG usage so in general OTG is possible with mini connectors. Sadly N800 has simple mini B receptacle not mini AB. http://www.google.com/search?q=mini+ab

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-02-29 at 12:51.

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by Kent Multer View Post
I figure that I may be using that socket a lot. So an extra millimeter of thickness, making it more durable or easier to use, would be helpful.
The micro USB socket is specified for more uses (connect-disconnect) than the mini USB. That was one of the reasons for the redesign, actually.

This being said, I never had a problem with the mini USB sockets, so the above should read "micro is even more durable". And the standard size USB sockets type A (the ones PCs use) break quite often (I have seen many being broken, and I systematically warn people about it), so durability is not necessarily a function of size.

There, I found the specifications from Hirose (on the digikey catalogue):
standard USB: 1500 mate/unmate cycles
mini USB: 5000 mate/unmate cycles
micro USB: 10000 mate/unmate cycles

Last edited by Jerome; 2008-02-29 at 13:32. Reason: Found number of cycles.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jerome For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
It may not take long to see RX-48 on FCC...
Month passed and still nothing :-)

I'm using the form here
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...ericSearch.cfm
and it gives results for LJP SU-18 RX-34 or RX-44 but still nothing for RX-48. Either we are still far from tablet release or this is wrong form or there is some stealth mode for applications on FCC now?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.