Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by zeusenergy View Post
Nope, your comment wasn't taken as a "dig" by me anyway.
As for the thumboard, it was in reference to the WM devices. I love the fact that IT2008 has a thumb-board and this gives IT2008 a point in it's favor. The stylus-centric behavior is exhibited by WM.
And again, you also added a helpful comment here to help me if I didn't already know about the d-pad center button trick. Kudos!
Glad I could help. As soon as I get my act together to start updating Tablet-Guru.com regularly again, I'm sure I'll have gained you as a reader.

Hey, rcadden

Do you have anything about how the heck you use x-term? Maybe a simple tutorial or two?

Neil

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sungrove View Post
Do you have anything about how the heck you use x-term? Maybe a simple tutorial or two?
Find yourself an intro to bash on google.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by sungrove View Post
Hey, rcadden

Neil
http://www.linuxcommand.org/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to R-R For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
Glad I could help. As soon as I get my act together to start updating Tablet-Guru.com regularly again, I'm sure I'll have gained you as a reader.
I've been there and done that I've been on your site many times before and after purchase!
Thanks for the useful input and dedication.
And thanks to the two posters above for helpful input
*A Professor of Truth at the Academy for the Advancement of (insert subject here)
*A Pathological Non-Liar
*A Dissector of Logical Thought
*A Cynical Comic of Society

Delusions of grandeur not included. Do not use product in a manner not specified by the Terms of Use. Avoid prolonged exposure to intellectually flawed thought for best results.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ England
erm im sorta a noob aswell, i have no idea about linux and stuff, i just got the n800cos it looks cool, but ive had none of those problems you described, like the sd or the connection, mine just works fine :S mabey yours is broken?

Hello All,
Instead of opening a new thread I'll take a ride in this one. :-) I've had my N800 for about one month now. To make things "better", it is my first experience with Linux/Maemo as well.

After tinkering around with the OS 2007 I decided to upgrade to OS 2008 since Nokia released the non-beta version. I have the 2.2007.50-2 running right now.

I feel it's more stable than 2007 and seems to be a bit faster. The new Internet browser is noticeably better since the one in OS 2007 would crash almost every 5 minutes.

The negative points, so far, are:
1) the finger keyboard does not work so well as in 2007. It's a pain to get it working and I cannot find the screen sensitivity adjust that was available in the OS 2007. The manual does not mention anything. Was it removed?

2) the new desktop icons are kind of "childish" (rudimentary) if compared with their equivalents in the 2007 version, which looked much nicer. Is there a way (that does not involve rewriting codes or the likes) to change the desktop icons?

3) the new application launcher menu takes a lot of space and I wonder if it would be possible to reduce the height of those rectangles that contain the application names or even eliminate them and have menus similar to the Windows start menu.

4) I liked better the way OS 2007 "locked" the applets in the desktop and it was not possible to accidentally move them around.

I did some searches around but could not find anything addressing the issues/questions (1,2 and 3) above. Thanks in advance for any hints.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by WebNavigator View Post
Hello All,
Instead of opening a new thread I'll take a ride in this one. :-) I've had my N800 for about one month now. To make things "better", it is my first experience with Linux/Maemo as well.

After tinkering around with the OS 2007 I decided to upgrade to OS 2008 since Nokia released the non-beta version. I have the 2.2007.50-2 running right now.

I feel it's more stable than 2007 and seems to be a bit faster. The new Internet browser is noticeably better since the one in OS 2007 would crash almost every 5 minutes.

The negative points, so far, are:
1) the finger keyboard does not work so well as in 2007. It's a pain to get it working and I cannot find the screen sensitivity adjust that was available in the OS 2007. The manual does not mention anything. Was it removed?

2) the new desktop icons are kind of "childish" (rudimentary) if compared with their equivalents in the 2007 version, which looked much nicer. Is there a way (that does not involve rewriting codes or the likes) to change the desktop icons?

3) the new application launcher menu takes a lot of space and I wonder if it would be possible to reduce the height of those rectangles that contain the application names or even eliminate them and have menus similar to the Windows start menu.

4) I liked better the way OS 2007 "locked" the applets in the desktop and it was not possible to accidentally move them around.

I did some searches around but could not find anything addressing the issues/questions (1,2 and 3) above. Thanks in advance for any hints.
1. This is a major complaint for me, as well. As mentioned previously, if you press the center of the d-pad when on a text field, you'll pull up the touch-friendly keyboard. you can also work on giving the screen a good thump on the text field, but it has to be pretty hard, and it's still not accurate. Hopefully they'll address this in the future.

2. Not that I know of.

3. I agree, but I think the overall move was away from the stylus-input and more towards an entirely finger-friendly experience (save for the keyboard, of course).

4. This is funny, because I know before OS2008, alot of us (myself included) complained about the 'applet mode', as it was annoying to have to activate just to move things around. Now, it seems alot of users are frustrated that they don't stay put. This is likely something that will evolve over the next few updates. I think alot of it is personal preference.

I share the frustration with Zeusenergy and other users with the Nokia Internet tablets.

I make a living owning a computer business so I'm not a newbie. I do admit that I am not familiar with Linux at all. I know nothing about Linux. But, I thought the Internet Tablet would be better than it is. I have quite a few pcs (desktops and laptops) as well as a couple of Palm devices and an older Windows Mobile device. The useability of those devices as well as the extensive quality software and selection of different apps and games far out weigh the Nokia.

My experience with the Nokia Internet tablets is as follows:

I first became aware of the Internet Tablet by browsing around the internet and just happened to stumble across it. So, as usual, I did my extensive research before I bought it (which is what I do with every piece of electronic equipment I am looking to buy) and it looked pretty good technically as well as seemingly good reviews from the users. I thought it would be a pretty good replacement for a laptop as far as a quick easy way to browse the internet without having to bring out my laptop as well as take over a few other daily tasks that I use my laptop and Palm for so I bought it.

I still have to carry my laptop and Palm around to do other work. But if I need to check something quickly, the Nokia is far easier and lighter to just "whip out" and check what I need to check.

My main complaints about the 770 were:

1. It was a little slow booting
2. The browser kept crashing/locking up
3. The lack of software available for it.

When the 800 came out, I sold my 770 and got an 800. I noticed the folliowing:

Pros:
1. The device booted a little faster
2. The browser crashed a little less
3. Skype!

Cons:
1. No Bluetooth headset support for Skype
2. When running Skype, you couldn't browse at the same time because the call would disconnect and the also the browser would lock up
2. Still the lack of software!

I recently upgraded to OS2008 when it came out.

Pros:
1. Seemingly better browsing (less crashes)
2. Bluetooth headset support for Skype

Cons:
1. Skype still disconnects calls (a little less however) when browsing at the same time
2. Still a lack of software.

On the plus side, I learned how to install apps on the thing now and I am able to help my friend with his Nokia. He uses his Nokia for Skype primarily and seems to love it except for the same shortcomings that I found.

I don't have a comment as to the GPS software as I have a Magellan GPS which I use so I have no need for the GPS app on the 800.

I guess I'm stupid for not doing quite enough research.

Unless more quality software is developed for the Nokia Internet Tablets as well as improving the overall end-user experience, the Internet Tablet will fail.

The Nokia is definately not consumer friendly. A non-technical person would get pissed off and return the thing to the store for a full refund. I probably should have done the same.

Maybe I'm just getting bored with it because there isn't much to do on it EXCEPT browse the internet and talk on Skype and IM. It definately does not replace my pc or Palm. I was hoping that it would replace some of my pc/Palm functions so I don't have to carry around so many devices but as of yet, it does not.

Overally, i'm not impressed and feel that I wasted money.

Last edited by Wzrd; 2008-01-07 at 08:04.

I've come from a WM backfround as well (As well as Palm and Psion and Symbian). But I am in IT and so a geek I guess...

I find the device to be very easy to use and love the interface. For all the bits that work as they should, it leaves WM dead in the water IMHO. It's only when things don't go to plan that it is not "consumer friendly". This is a little more often than it should be.

I'm guessing that I just happen to be not using a couple of the buggier bits and so my experiance is smoother than some.

But then, isn't the difference that on other devices, you just have to live with it and report it rather than be allowed to try and fix and play? Perhaps that increases the frustration when it doesn't work after the extra effort.

To me, it is much nicer than Windows Mobile. And to be honest, my particular device HTC Universal, was also buggy as hell.

Would not actually wake up and ring until the guy on the other side had already been ringing for about 8 seconds.

By the time you got to the phone to answered, they had hung up.

There were fixes and work arounds etc. But is that not the complaint on the N810...

Also, I actually like the "standard" app install. It's very easy (when the repositries are not playing up).

No copying files across., running setup on another PC, finding the website to download from etc.

Just go to App Manager, select the app and install. What more do you want ?
Actually, better app discriptions and more apps would be nice. But I'm hopeing this will improve (at least the more apps bit) now that most of the top 500 contributors are getting the discount codes.

I do agree though, there is room for improvement.

Portrait support - Yes please.

A full PIM with Outlook sync. including category sync. And tight integration with the mobile, so I don't even have to touch the handset.
Particularly with the Nokia handsets. How about a virtual screen of the S60 interface ?
Actually, that would fix the Outlook and PIM issues
Anyone tried to VNC with an S60 phone over bluetooth ?

How about more controll over when the WiFi will come on (e.g. no auto on between 11pm and 6am) to save battery life.

Perhaps the apps could sync. when they do updates somehow, so they don't keep powering up the WiFi at different times ? e.g. The Weather widget and the RSS Reader ?
I',m wondering if the WiFi spends much time off, if the 2 are significantly out of sync. anyone know how this is handled ?

Use some kind og A-GPS to improve signal lock times (N810).

Proper Java - just tried web based vnc yesterday and no go. I assume it's a java thing. Everything else in the web browser works just great (sometimes slow for really big stuff, but still work).

Finally (not really, but will do for now), I got a cool bluetooth headset that lets me switch between devices just by clicking a couple of buttons. But the N810 (the master device) won't let go when it's supposed to...

I'm still not sure what the correct place(s) are to complain/report about these different issues...

By the way, I really love thiis device

Zuber

Last edited by Zuber; 2008-01-07 at 09:43.