Hi all

I'm considering getting a 770 but have read that there is likely to be an update in Q1 (or Q2). Is this update just software related? If it is, then is there any reason to wait for it before purchasing?

thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to therblack For This Useful Post:
I think as far as anyone knows it is just software. The 2006 version of the OS which should hopefully have VOIP support. I haven't seen any mention of new hardware and I think there is a lot of improvement that can be made with the software on the current device as it is. With the running OS files on the memory card and swap file hacks the machine runs quite well as it is. I'd say get one now!

Agreeing with Simon here...

It's extremely unlikely that they'd send out new hardware to the thousands of users there already are. The 2006 update will be just software...
On the other hand - it's always likely there will be a new version out in the future, with both better hardware and better software...
But since we don't know anything about the latter, I'd agree: get it now! ;-)

They are still working really hard on the software and it would make no sense to developp a new hardware so soon.

IMHO, the sooner a new hardware version can hit the market is Q3 2007. That would say announcing it in Q1 2007.

And, honnestly, I don't believe it is needed. A lot can be done with the current hardware.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
ploum: agreed.

now all I need to do is wait for them to come to Canada, or go for a drive!

Originally Posted by therblack
now all I need to do is wait for them to come to Canada, or go for a drive!
Canada, that's easy! Try living in NZ. I had to get a friend in the states to get me one and send it down I am hoping in the 2006 software they include at least one New Zealand city in the clock so I can set the correct damn time on the thing!

I hope it will support NTP sync ;-)

speaking of the 2006OS, do you think we will have to wait december like for the 2005 one ? Or will they release sooner ?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
At launch, the talk was of Q1 2006. But given that ends in about 3 days and that doesn't seem to have been mentioned recently, I'd guess it may not be as soon as we'd like :-/