Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Frack, how do you get android to list network interfaces in ifconfig?!?!?
I had to guess on wlan0 no idea what they call bluetooth PAN...
(not bnep0)

Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
I would actually prefer to use PAN
Did you tried genwall? Does your android have the pand command?

pand --connect XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
When not you could try this app: Pan for root users

, but perhaps Android/Cyanogen wifi just needs a wpa supplicant even for open mode?
I guess it is more a problem about wep, that is not really supported. You can try to make a wpa ad-hoc with a laptop (windows or linux) and see if this is working.

Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
Did you tried genwall? Does your android have the pand command?
I will give genwall a try once I get some hacking time. There is a setting for bluetooth networking once linked, I have to assume it detects PAN and tries to connect.

Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
When not you could try this app: Pan for root users
Maybe this is me being silly but I only enabled F-Droid for software repo on the Cyanogen, which is stripped of Google stuff. I dont like having google stick their fingers into my tablet, even Ubuntu is creepy in requiring a launchpad login. I have been looking for the APK from a trusted source, though I wonder what it might break, this is not a maemo or debian repo but android anarchy.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
pan teathering from android works you might need to dig for it to attain perfection and i do not have a android also my experience with them was awful i.e strange kind of device and os intregation plus dosent really bring anything new to the table and on top of that it dosent work like i expect and it was a year back i think on jellybean tablets .

Started using a different shell app, I think it logs in as root but also behaves properly, ifconfig and apt-get actually do something.
So int bt-pan shows up on the nexus as created and linked, but just like ad-hoc wifi it is not taking an IP form the dhcp on the N900.
Wish I knew what was the equivelant of /var/log/syslog on android/cyanogen so I could watch the connection log.

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ India
Why are you going through all that? does your android device not support pan? if it does then you just have to enable pan on n900, restart it, pair it with your android device (if paired before activating pan, unpair and re pair), then in your android device's bt menu, just click on your n900 a checkbox something like "use this devices internet" should be there, just check it and it should share connection. Im tethring my n900 to my android devices (a phone with v4.4, a tab with v2.3) like this and it works just fine without even root or shells.

Sohil876, I have been doing exactly that, but the android tablet is not taking an Ip address from the DHCP on the N900 though my Ubuntu laptop happily does.

I removed the modifications form thsi thread and have just installed genwall. Lots of uber hackyness, my network basics traingin and distance from the 90s where I used them everyday means I will need to sleep and try again tomorrow, ugh iptables hacking. fortunately there is this to help, http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=62

Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Sohil876, I have been doing exactly that, but the android tablet is not taking an Ip address from the DHCP on the N900 though my Ubuntu laptop happily does.
[/url]
Maybe you can try this. Don't know if it helps but worth a try.

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ India
Try using bt pan when youve enabled offline mode in nexus 7 and only one connection bluetooth is on on n7, disable wifi and others on it. If even that didnt work read THIS , also see the last solution.

Last edited by Sohil876; 2015-11-01 at 21:59.

Originally Posted by Sohil876 View Post
Try using bt pan when youve enabled offline mode in nexus 7 and only one connection bluetooth is on on n7, disable wifi and others on it. If even that didnt work read THIS , also see the last solution.
Already did that too, I think the only way is to hand enter all of the Ip, routing, and dns. This looks like the only way to go, as anything where the N900 is a DHCP fails, though my Nexus DHCPs fine from my Netgear wireless router and other infrastructure APs, if I recall PAN uses a bluetooth equivalent to ad-hoc networking so no surprise the problem is similar.
http://android.stackexchange.com/que...doing-it-wrong
Is this 1990 again? Am I a teenager building a network from win3.0 PCs and some borrowed coax 10-T net cards?

Last edited by biketool; 2015-11-02 at 07:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:

Tags
bluetooth-pan, tethering