Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I haven't watched it (the video is HUGE), but apparently the N900 is getting the spotlight on the first ever airing of The Engadget Show. Nokia sponsored the event.

It should be a good watch!
http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/17/t...er-ipod-event/

Enjoy.

}:^]~
I would like to take back my thanks Capt'n Corrupt. That was the least informative 5 minutes of video (n900 starts at 55min mark) I've seen in a long time. I've seen more informative Pokémon cartoons than this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ioioio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
@Jay
Yeah, those complaints were about the screen and unfortunately made up much of the discussion. However, they did praise aspects of the os briefly (multi-tasking and smoothness), and didn't otherwise complain about the device.

I would have much preferred if they got off the 'resistive < capacitive' rant that they've beaten to death on the blog. An actual inspection into the device that's more than skin deep (quite literally in this case) would have been nice.

it seemed as if they were exploring the device for the first time.. The individual that had it in his pocket didn't know that there was an on-screen keyboard.....

}:^)~

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
I would like to take back my thanks Capt'n Corrupt. That was the least informative 5 minutes of video (n900 starts at 55min mark) I've seen in a long time. I've seen more informative Pokémon cartoons than this.
Don't worry, I shant keep you awake. I weep softly....

In all seriousness....

I know this forum that engages in discussion to improve maemo generally likes maemo/nokia advocacy, but I suppose it's helpful to get a broader view of perspectives from outside the walls of this utopian society. I don't know of any challenges that have been surmounted by pretending they didn't exist.

}:^)~

I agree with the sentiment that Engadget has declined deeper into Apple Fanboy-ism since Ryan Block left, however...

Josh does demonstrate the responsiveness (or lack thereof) of the N900's screen and I can tell you as an American, this demonstration will unfortunately resonate with many US consumers for whom the iPhone, and to a much lesser extent extent the Palm Pre and Android, are the only touchscreen phone(s) worth consideration.

It's pretty hard to argue that a capacitive screen isn't more satisfying and easier to use when navigating with your finger. Perhaps not by much, but Josh's demo is telling--whether you like it or not.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayBomb999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by JayBomb999 View Post
I agree with the sentiment that Engadget has declined deeper into Apple Fanboy-ism since Ryan Block left, however...

Josh does demonstrate the responsiveness (or lack thereof) of the N900's screen and I can tell you as an American, this demonstration will unfortunately resonate with many US consumers for whom the iPhone, and to a much lesser extent extent the Palm Pre and Android, are the only touchscreen phone(s) worth consideration.

It's pretty hard to argue that a capacitive screen isn't more satisfying and easier to use when navigating with your finger. Perhaps not by much, but Josh's demo is telling--whether you like it or not.
I agree capacitative is more responsive but is worth compared to multi-tasking?

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
That was the least informative 5 minutes of video (n900 starts at 55min mark) I've seen in a long time.
I second that notion. I feel like I just completely wasted my time. It's not that they kinda bagged on Nokia and the N900. It's that they had no idea what they were talking about and had absolutely nothing worthwhile to say - good or bad.

Mostly, seemed they were trying to be funny, not informative. Ended up being neither.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Bronx, New York
I personally liked that they brought up new technology that may include capacitive touch with character recognition for foreign languages which is possible as I read across the net somewhere. Its not a bad argument to present and ask for a step above the rest approach if u have the funds and want to make a mark why NOT? My only real complaint as I felt I was looking at a bunch a misinformed men talk tech was the nokia n900 does have a onscreen keyboard like if he bothered to click a box write a text or something on the device he would have saw that which i guess they didn't have time to at all play with it... If Nokia your sponsoring the show why not allow quality time with the device before hand so at least they are not talking out there arse...

The Following User Says Thank You to Ludio For This Useful Post:
You can see when the tool running the show is swiping - the screen is partially moving but he just isnt swiping far enough - not a problem with the screen - a problem with him being an Apple fanboy (surprise surprise) and not having bothered to understand the OS/phone at all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I agree capacitative is more responsive but is worth compared to multi-tasking?
I also thought resistive touch screens were capable of a higher resolution and pixel density. Doesn't the n800 have a better resolution and pixel density then the iPhone 3GS? o.O

Anyway, I really dislike their bashing of resistive touch screens. Especially from watching the video, he said it wasn't working well and you could see the desktops start to slide (haha). Perhaps they just don't understand resistive touch screens and how they work (with force) rather than capactative (with electricity). Them bashing resistive is like me bashing my cousin's iPhone 3G because when I tried to use it I couldn't get it to work (I'm guessing when your use to one way, fingernail or finger your use to it). But finger scrolling is possible on the n800 with certain software like Mauku and now based on anedoctal evidence from users here the resistive touch screen in the n900 is even better so it should allow moderate finger usage (though not as easy as the iPhone where you don't even have to exert any force).

Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
What...

Well, in the positive side, the open nature of Maemo makes possible to add a touchscreen keyboard.

Can you add a physical keyboard to an iPhone?

Actually you can. But it's a hardware modification/addition. So it's even more unfriendly to most users. =P (it works the same way as those developing game pads for the iPhone. I believe it connects through the dock)

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-09-17 at 23:59.

@sachin007

In my opinion definitely not. That's why I don't own an iPhone and have an N900 pre-ordered.

However, I am a "tech-enthusiast", "early adopter" and "Geek" that Nokia claims to be targeting this device to. In other words, a minority opinion. :-/

The Following User Says Thank You to JayBomb999 For This Useful Post: