Active Topics

Hi, I am seriously considering the N900 and I really like that the internet radio capability is built into the base media player.

My previous experience with internet radio on a phone is from using tunein radio on the iphone. If you start the radio and pause playback, it will continue to download the stream and you can effectively load up a up to an hours worth of buffer. You can also skip back and it will continue to download the stream.

So on the n900, how does it handle buffering? How long is the buffer? Does it mark track locations? Does it display album art? Can the media player be played in portrait mode?

Sorry, I'll have to order this phone from overseas (it is not out in Australia yet) so I cannot go and check it out for myself.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Some of the things you're asking about are probably stream-dependent, so you should let us know what stream you're listening to so we can test. They'll also be dependent on the "app". Note that I've added a question as well.

For the stream http://sc1.cdn.radiostorm.com:7010 on the *included* media player
  • Buffering: No ability to pause, so no ability to cache.
  • Buffer size: unknown, but very short when network is explicitly disconnected -- stream stops immediately
  • Marking track locations: It shows the track names, but I suspect that you're after the ability to skip forward and back song by song in the hour long buffer you've built. No, it doesn't do that, but could you confirm I've understood correctly?
  • Album art: No, doesn't display.
  • Portrait mode: No, it is not orientation sensitive
  • Adaptable Bluetooth: No. Ability to switch between switch easily between a Bluetooth headset and speakers. (Controlled at app level, so an incoming call will silence the speakers and let you use the Bluetooth headset you're wearing.)

That's the included media player covered, at firmware 51-1. There are several more apps to consider. Could someone else tackle rating these please?
  • Canola2
  • kmplayer
  • Flash app in the browser
  • Whatever else I have missed

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alan_Peery For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
I'd just like to add to Alan's comments and say that the default streaming by the standard media player is very poor. There is bug where it skips 'radio' stations randomly (not resolved in latest firmware despite the bug being closed). Also you can't adjust the buffer amount so any congestion (thank you iPhone users) and the signal chops up.

Using it every day I've found it a very frustrating experience. Good news is that it's only an App issue, so hopefully there are alternatives developed.

FWIW, I was able to stream the Ibiza Sonica station, on the default media player, and played it through my car's radio via built-in FM Transmitter, on a recent trip from DC to Philadelphia. I only lost the stream once, when the phone lost connection just outside of Baltimore (T-Mobile). It re-acquired signal and resumed play in about 5-10 seconds.

I wonder if the Recorder app will record a stream, or will it only pick up sounds via the microphone?

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
The bug about skipping stations is not universal. I, for one had little trouble. Also, no chopping. When it runs out, it stops, enters "buffering" state, then resumes when needed.

The only "choppyness" I found was when the link was very, very poor and the buffer was struggling.

I do, however, have an odd bug where pressing play gives me an "invalid url". However, pressing Play again works so I sorta lived with it. No jumping stations though.

I agree, however, buffer could be longer, adjustable and seekable. No problem though, there are many players out there, some are bound to have or soon to have this sorted.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
the standard media player is very poor. There is bug where it skips 'radio' stations randomly (not resolved in latest firmware despite the bug being closed).
That's a bug that has really annoyed me. Have you reopened it?

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Also you can't adjust the buffer amount so any congestion (thank you iPhone users) and the signal chops up.

Using it every day I've found it a very frustrating experience. Good news is that it's only an App issue, so hopefully there are alternatives developed.
True, but why should users suffer these basic issues until they discover a new app? It's a significant feature out of the box, and needs attention.

Is this related to the inability to listen to the preset radio stations? I haven't been able to listen to those since the latest update.

Originally Posted by Alan_Peery View Post

True, but why should users suffer these basic issues until they discover a new app? It's a significant feature out of the box, and needs attention.
Yep, I think for a desktop internet radio player you do not need much in the way of buffering or seeking, but in a mobile device a large buffer (in minutes at least) is quite essential. On my trip I go through a long tunnel with no 3G signal for a few miles, so the radio will be dead for those 5-10 minutes.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
I've put a note on the bug (which was marked as RESOLVED/FIXED) stating that it is not resolved.

If they include it then it has to work.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Originally Posted by draculr View Post
Yep, I think for a desktop internet radio player you do not need much in the way of buffering or seeking, but in a mobile device a large buffer (in minutes at least) is quite essential. On my trip I go through a long tunnel with no 3G signal for a few miles, so the radio will be dead for those 5-10 minutes.
Aren't settings such as buffer length etc. buried somewhere in the device? How were they able to hide that on such an open device?