Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Jerome
It is a bit peculiar to discuss "why they will have 2 price points" when they don't, isn't it?
There are 2 price points in some regions. Just because it isn't true in all regions doesn't obviate the situation in others.

For the most part of its life: yes.
To reuse one of your responses: So?

Been there, done that myself. Pretty simple.
Did you perhaps misunderstand my statement? I suggested you ask OTHER posters. Your experience is not one size fits all. Besides, it doesn't address warranty issues, which are important to many.

Anyway, you're obviously trolling or arguing merely for the sake of arguing. I don't see a need to respond to anything further unless you elect to employ a little intellectual honesty.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
The N800 was released on January 8th, 2007 at $399 in the US.

*snip*

The initial price drops from $399 into the $350 range occurring around April, assuming exclude this price drop from the calculations, the next major price drop was at the end of August to the $250 range.

The first major drop occurred approximately 260 days from release.
And the minor price drops began almost immediately, at least in the U.S. I resisted purchasing my N800 only until February 7, 2007--a little less than a week after TigerDirect began fluctuating their pricing on the tablet between $399.99 and $369.99.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
When i searched n800 couple weeks ago, it was almost mission impossible.

In finland there was alltogether 0 pcs of new n800:s at all webshops, nokia website(nseries.com buy - link for n800 redirects to buy n810.), local resellers, teleoperators and so on.. finally found out after hours of googling that expansys had french models (who needs the manual anywhay ) so i ordered there.

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Excuse me? Trolling? I am citing facts that anyone can check: the N800 has been taken off numerous European Nokia shops. I think it is perfectly reasonable to infer that production has stopped and that shops still selling it in other countries are only selling remaining inventory.

And I don't see how this discussion could possibly be trolling. I, for example, will make very different buying decisions whether Nokia is keeping a product line around 200$ price point or whether one needs double that amount of money. I need another two tablets for my family. In the latter case, I need to try to find them on the second hand market or order them in the US before prices for second hand N800s go back to 300$. I suppose that I am not the only one who needs to plan their purchases, so I suppose that this discussion is of some use to other forum members.

Now, YOU are the one repeatitively posting nebulous theories that the N800 is not discontinued, and that Nokia will maintain two different devices on offer at different price points. Those theories do not appear to be based on verifiable facts. They may be based on insider information which you are not in a position to disclose, but if YOU know something that the general public does not know, that does not make ME a troll.

Anyway, to me this discussion has reached an end. I told what I knew, and I have nothing more to add. And the next time I'll notice something, I'll keep it for myself.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Points completely missed. My apologies if I didn't make them clear enough.

"People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids?...It’s just not right. It’s not right. It’s not, it’s not going to change anything. We’ll, we’ll get our justice....Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, we’re all stuck here for a while. Let’s try to work it out. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to work it out."

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Points completely missed. My apologies if I didn't make them clear enough.
Well, Tex, I must admit it's true. When the N810 came out you were quite affirmative that the N800 would continue its career in parallel (which sounded logical and altogether good news). Jerome is saying that it's becoming very difficult to come by in Europe, with confirmation from Finland and elsewhere. And now you're saying... well, I'm not quite sure what you're saying anymore :-)

PS: it still *seems* to be available from the French Nokia shop - only for 300€, which is like 450USD, ya know ?... :-)

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Toronto
All this newbie has to contribute to this is that Sharp only kept one model of clamshell Zaurii on the production line at a time; and the Z is closer to the N-series than any cellphone. Of course Sharp was only aiming at the Japanese salaryman market after the 5500 and the 6000. And their internet capability was an afterthought on an electronic dictionary/business tool.

I must say I hope Nokia doesn't follow in Sharp's footsteps all the way to the end!

Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
What I meant was -- how many people (who are not geeks) go out with the specific intention of buying an SDHC. As you say, most people go out and buy a 'card' for their digital camera, but few consumers actually know or care about what SDHC is, as long as the 'card' works. That was my point.

Well, the local Walmart has an entire section of a display with a good dozen different brands & sized SD & SDHC cards up to 4gb. Whatever that means.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Correct, but you're missing my point. People like you and me (okay, maybe it's just me) go out and say, I need an SDHC.

The average Joe buys a digital camera and says, hey I need a memory card for my camera. Yes, Walmart appeals to the average Joe, but my point is that Joe wouldn't have the faintest clue about the difference between a 4GB SDHC and a 4GB SD card.

Another reason why Nokia may have gone with the miniSDHC card could be due to the fact that most of their phone models today use miniSDHC card readers. I'm guessing here that they found themselves with a LOT of leftover SD card readers from the old 7710/Communicator days and decided to put it to good use. Either that or Nokia decided that the N800 was going to be used by media junkies who would try to fit 2 to days worth of music and movies for on-the-go-entertainment