Active Topics

HI EVERYBODY ........
CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF I UPDATE THE FIRMWARE ON THE N900 ...... WILL ALL MY DATA GET ERASED ? AND ONE MORE THING ....... IS IT BETTER TO UPDATE IT VIA WIFI OR DO U RECOMENEND ME TO UPDATE IT VIA NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER ON MY PC ? LOOKING FORWARD FOR UR REPLY ...................

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United Kingdon
Originally Posted by abhideva View Post
HI EVERYBODY ........
CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF I UPDATE THE FIRMWARE ON THE N900 ...... WILL ALL MY DATA GET ERASED ? AND ONE MORE THING ....... IS IT BETTER TO UPDATE IT VIA WIFI OR DO U RECOMENEND ME TO UPDATE IT VIA NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER ON MY PC ? LOOKING FORWARD FOR UR REPLY ...................

If you are doing an over the air update then no. if you are flashing via the flasher command line then there are two parts to flash and one will do firmware the other all data. NSU im not too sure about.

Also when PR1.2 comes out im not too sure if that update will delete all user data because it aint out yet

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Firstly, please don't type everything in capitals - it makes it very hard to read.

Anyway, updating via WiFi/3G will retain all your data, installed applications, etc. Flashing the main firmware using NSU (or flasher) will lose any installed applications but will keep any data, configuration settings, etc.

I'd recommend updating via WiFi if you can - it's a lot quicker.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United Kingdon
Do OTA, make sure you have full battery and leave it for 40mins as it does take a lot of time.

If ya dont want to do OTA then id go for the flasing software (not NSU) search the forums for it cos im a bit too busy, will try and link it later if noone else can help.

Ive seen a lot of guys have issues with the NSU software but that was a good few months ago and there is a new version out now.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
I wish i could punch people over internet!!!
(why forum converted my text to normal while it was written in capslock, it's unfair )

Last edited by ZogG; 2010-05-14 at 15:09.

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
(why forum converted my text to normal while it was written in capslock, it's unfair )
k ..... sorry "Rob1n" ................... thanx everybody .........

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
can u tell me for what ?..........

Dont worry about erased data with the update. There will be no update. PR1.2 is a hoax...

if i will update my firmware through ota , if the wifi gets disconnected accidentely in the middle ? will that crash my phone ? does the firmware get dowloaded first and then install or will it be downloading and installing simultaneously ?

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ T.M.O
With OTA it downloads completely first and then installs the update.

But still make sure you do a backup using the inbuilt application, just to be on the safe side.

Tags
firmware update