Decides to put it in next iPhone OS. Probably available to me (a dev) very soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/l...ne-os-4-event/

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Decides to put it in next iPhone OS. Probably available to me (a dev) very soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/l...ne-os-4-event/
Yeah, I'm wondering what the other 5 features will be. The other (besides multitasking) was bluetooth keyboard support. I've had trouble getting that (and mouse) support on the n900. It seems like there are a bunch of apps that each want to control the bluetooth config file completely. What a mess.

I develop for a variety of platforms (including iPhone) as a hobby... it still sucks that it's not true multitasking--you have to use "background-specific" APIs. Which is kinda what Android does, too, with their app lifecycle.

Wooboy. Can't wait for the major features of Maemo5 1.2...

EDIT: now VOIP. Sigh... now the n900 is losing a lot of its feature advantage...

I think what Apple is doing right now is awesome. It is needed to push the competitors even more in the ***. And imagine Microsoft now with their Windows Phone 7!!!!!!! lol

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
ohh yes multitasking was one of the major reasons for me to buy the n900 now there are not much really good arguments for the N900 beside the open source.

The Following User Says Thank You to crown77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Hmm. I´m just watching this and i have to admit that this is exactly what i expected Fck they are good.

And some people are yelling always about walled gardens and they forgot that companies have always option to go out from those. For example here Apple has opened quite many new APIs to their own applications (calendar etc.). Probably because of competition but still.

Only reason to keep using this device is Open source and potential :|

Last edited by slender; 2010-04-08 at 17:38.

Originally Posted by twoboxen View Post
the n900 is losing a lot of its feature advantage...
It still has the advantage of not being completely closed. I suppose if you can tell yourself "oh, I can live with paying hundreds for a device Apple still owns" and believe it, then I suppose the iPhone is the device for you.

the folders are also usefull you are able to bring in your own organized structure like on a pc well my structure on pc is following the chaos theory but .. you could do

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
its not real multitasking its just basicly what they've had all along but they have added a little task switcher with icon, the only thing i've heard that really multi tasks it will play audio in background for certain apps
fast app switching. It's what allows applications to save its state and stop running, and then restart instantly where you left it.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by crown77 View Post
ohh yes multitasking was one of the major reasons for me to buy the n900 now there are not much really good arguments for the N900 beside the open source.
Their multitasking implementation is ridiculous compared to Maemo's.

but when they talked about the app for uploading pics to flickr for example the upload goes on so there have to be 2 real threads for the applications one for flickr app and one for the other opend app?