check the scripts..

looks like some typo with the IF statements or something therein

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
Originally Posted by stevenf View Post
I've been fiddling with this some more tonight. I have a T-Mobile Dash and an N800.

It is almost working, except for DNS, which for some reason, works only in Xterm.

I can do nslookups in Xterm all day long, and get valid addresses back.

Opera and the email client however can't connect to anything.

I've tried everything I can think of. I have "nameserver 192.168.0.1" in /etc/resolv.conf as well as /tmp/resolv.conf.lo and /tmp/resolv.conf.bnep0

And, as I mentioned, it works fine in the Xterm, using 127.0.0.1 as the server.

Oddly, Opera can't even connect by IP. If I enter http://64.233.167.99/, I should get Google, but it just spins at "Connecting..."

Meanwhile, I can flip over to Xterm and "nslookup google.com" and get three addresses.

Any ideas? This is the closest I've ever gotten to having this work.
I have the same issue too. Any resolution or did you give up?

Originally Posted by pcman View Post
Here is a summary of how I got it working.

Date: January 7, 2007
Subject: How to connect Nokia 770 internet tablet with Cingular Blackjack cell phone for internet sharing (Make sure you have a data plan with Cingular first)

1. Create the following 'bluetooth connection up' script (I called this 'btup') in the directory of your choosing, I used /home/user

Script was taken from the internettablettalk.com/forums - Thanks fanoush, phi, et al
#!/bin/sh
# use gainroot to become root and relaunch itself
if [ `id -u` != 0 ] ; then
#if not already root, call itself as root
sudo gainroot <<EOF
$0 $*
EOF
exit
fi
# real script follows
# enter your cell phone BT address below
BTADDR='xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx'
IP=192.168.0.170
GW=192.168.0.1
NS=192.168.0.1
IFACE=bnep0

#insmod just to be sure
insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/current/bnep.ko
#start PAN Bluetooth connection
pand --connect $BTADDR

# wait for the interface created by pand
s=60
echo -n "Waiting $s secs for $IFACE"
while [ $s -gt 0 ] ; do
ifconfig $IFACE >/dev/null 2>&1 && break
s=$((s-1))
echo -n "."
sleep 1
done
echo
if ifconfig $IFACE >/dev/null 2>&1 ; then
# bring it up
echo "OK, bringing $IFACE up"
ifconfig $IFACE $IP up
route add default gw $GW
echo "nameserver $NS" >/tmp/resolv.conf.lo
else
echo "Error: $IFACE not available."
fi

2. Create the following 'bluetooth connection down' script (I called this 'btdn') in the directory of your choosing, I used /home/user

Script was taken from the internettablettalk.com/forums - Thanks fanoush, phi, et al

#!/bin/sh
# use gainroot to become root and relaunch itself
if [ `id -u` != 0 ] ; then
#if not already root, call itself as root
sudo gainroot <<EOF
$0 $*
EOF
exit
fi
# real script follows
echo -n '' >/tmp/resolv.conf.lo
pand -K
sleep 1
rmmod bnep

3. Run the following command as root on your Nokia 770.

gconftool -s -t string /system/osso/connectivity/IAP/DEFAULT/type DUMMY

This will create a DEFAULT connection for your internet connections on your Nokia 770.

4. Make sure you have deleted any reference to the Nokia 770 bluetooth pairing on the phone.

5. On the Nokia 770 go to Menu/Tools/Connection Manager/Menu/Internet Connection/Change Connection/'select DEFAULT'

6. On the phone and go to Internet Sharing, make sure 'PC Connection' is set to 'Bluetooth PAN' and select 'Connect'.

7. On the Nokia 770 run the 'btup' script as root in the directory you created the script. i.e. /home/user/./btup

8. The phone will now ask if you want to pair with the Nokia 770, select Yes and when prompted enter the password 1234 on the phone.

9. The Nokia 770 will now prompt for the password, enter 1234.

10. Check your internet connection to make sure it works.

11. Check your speed at http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed/

Good luck!
I just got my n770 from woot, and i'm just amazed by this device. I installed the OS2007 hacker edition, later to find out that no one has got BT PAN working on it (or has someone ?).

So, i reflashed my 770 to OS2006. I followed the instructions for setting up PAN, but the n770 just keeps on searching for a phone for 60 seconds and cannot find it. I have deleted all references to the n770, from the phone, that might have been created due to earlier attempts of pairing. I have also used numerous IP addresses, but still, it just can't connect.

Is there something else that I might have overlooked ?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Philly!
OK, so being a complete linux noob, I see the instructions above and I am still lost. For instance, step 1 says...

1. Create the following 'bluetooth connection up' script (I called this 'btup') in the directory of your choosing, I used /home/user

And I'm sure thats more than enough guidance for some people, but for me, not so much. How do I do this? In other words, how do I get to /home/user? Thats the type of thing I need to be guided thru.

I know I'm going to likely get flamed for this, but I am very anxious to get this to work and I can't seem to get anywhere right now.

EDIT: OK, so I figured out some of the steps above, using the newbie tutorial put together in post #11 of this thread

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ighlight=guide

Thanx Jeffus!

MY new ? is when I create the btup ad btdown connection scripts, what so I save them as? In other words, in Windows I would save them as btup.bat, but what about in linux, do I save them as btup.txt? WHat format?

Thanx.

Last edited by BigFNDeal; 2007-07-16 at 17:12. Reason: UPDATED INFO!

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Philly!
Can I get some help, or not? I really need to get this figured out soon.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Houston
Hi, I hope I can help. All you need to do is save the file as btup. No extension is required. Same for btdown. You don't have to use these names although they are easy to remember. It is much easier if you ssh into your device and use your pc keyboard. You will have a lot less mistakes. Trust me on this one. Just use vim or vi or maemopad or whatever text file editor of your choosing. At the command prompt you can do:
#vim btup
Hit enter and then hit 'i' to insert. Then type in the file info. Once you are done, hit 'Esc' ':wq' to save the file. Now repeat for vim btdown.

Post back if/when you get stuck.

I just got the N800 so I am going to try out the same thing. I haven't checked to see if this works on the N800. I need to get ssh installed but the maemo site is currently down.

I also got my 770 from Woot and wanted to pair it with my Dash. I read this thread and got a bit overwhelmed. Finally I did some more searching and found a file that adds the DUN profile to Windows Mobile 6. It worked fine for me. Now I can use my Dash data connection whenever there is no WIFI around. So if that is all you are trying to do, I recommend using the file.

I attached the file that I used.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WM6_DUN.zip (26.4 KB, 635 views)

Thanks for the file. Unfortunately, I have WM5 (Blackjack). I'll post back when I confirm the internet connection through the Blackjack for the N800.

Check out my how to for the Nokia N800 at my blogspot, Linux Gadgets.

pcman's guide on page 3 worked perfectly for me! Thank you to fanoush, phi, and pcman for putting it all together.