Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I purchased another N900 recently and cloned my old one to this one since it was in a slightly better cosmetic shape. Everything works fine - except... when I am in a phone call, the sound always goes through the loudspeaker regardless on my selection. I bought it from a respectable member of this community who says it never behaved like that before and I have no reason to challenge that. I am more inclined to believing that I messed up something. Any ideas?

Edit:
Just noticed that plugging in headphones makes no difference. An icon appears in the status bar but the sound is still directed through the loudspeakers.

Edit 2:
FMTX too! The icon appears and FM turns on (as indicated by my car radio), but no sound is transmitted through it. It still goes through the speakers. I see it as a good sign though: it must be in software and not some misplaced wires or something.

I have no way to test with Bluetooth but have no reason to believe it would be any different.

Last edited by pichlo; 2013-06-13 at 17:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Bump. Any ideas?

Skype is also playing up BTW. Shows green icon as if connected but when I try to make a call it says "Unable to establish connection."

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
try a reflash

The Following User Says Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
do you have installed any app / tweak, maybe related to that? something like speaker switcher or similar?

if so, my first try would be to uninstall it...

Last edited by Leinad; 2013-06-15 at 05:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
seems like flashing is the only solution left untill some experienced users suggest something. why dont u flash your device to check whether problem persist or not and then restore again that backupmenu backup.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
No speaker tweak. As mentioned in the first post, device B is a clone of device A which worked perfectly. The only reason I wanted to avoid flashing is that I have just spent two days laboriously moving all my songs and videos collection from device A to device B by means of swapping SD cards (the USB port on device A is a bit temperamental) and have run out of space in my PC to back it all up.

EDIT: Oh, and another thing. Device A has now become my sacrificial device and I bricked it in the process. No problem, I thought, I will flash it. It turns out I could flash Combined but it failed flashing Vanilla. I've had another device ending up like that, I am a bit weary of risking it with my device B.

Last edited by pichlo; 2013-06-15 at 07:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@pichlo
Why did the eMMC image failed to flash? What was the output of flasher?
Do you have repartitioned your device(s).

Just curious.
Sorry to say that I do not have any idea for your original problem (except reflash).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 94 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Hi pichlo,
when i played around with recording sounds from the microphone input i stored the original alsa settings, maybe this can fix your problem:
download hs file
sudo gainroot
alsactl restore -f hs.txt

Edit: I just wanted to call somebody and realized that i uploaded the wrong file, sorry. If you use hs.txt your builtin mic wont work. Please use test.txt instead.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hs.txt (13.1 KB, 190 views)
File Type: txt test.txt (13.1 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by Marshall Banana; 2013-06-15 at 12:49.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Marshall Banana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Marshall Banana View Post
alsactl restore -f hs.txt
Ahh, thanks a lot for that hint. It did not do the trick but thanks to you I have now learned about alsactl and tried it with a few options. The first I tried was alsactl init and got this:
Code:
# alsactl init
Unknown hardware: "tlv320aic3x" "" "" "" ""
Hardware is initialized using a guess method
#
This gives me enough confidence to try flashing just rootfs to see if it fixes the problem. It looks like my two devices have slightly different hardware.

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
@pichlo
Why did the eMMC image failed to flash? What was the output of flasher?
Do you have repartitioned your device(s).
Sorry I wasn't ignoring you, only waiting to get to a big PC (all my previous posts were from my phone). Here is the flasher output:

Code:
# flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin -f
flasher v2.5.2 (Oct 21 2009)

Image 'mmc', size 255947 kB
	Version RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA
USB device found found at bus 001, device address 009.
Raw data transfer EP found at EP2.
Using flashing protocol Mk II.
Raw data transfer timed out. 255947 kB]
#
This is on a device with 4GB home and 25GB MyDocs. I thought that flashing the MMC would wipe the partitions anyway?

My previous experience trying to flash the MMC on a stock device is described here. I tried that on two machines (both 32 bit) with three different OSes before I gave up. Basically, I have never managed to successfully flash the MMC on any device in my possession.

Regarding my sound problem, it is late and I feel like hitting the bead rather than flashing my device B right now but I will proceed as per my post above as soon as practical.

Tags
nokia n900