Originally Posted by skase
Spoke with Nokia today. It sounds like the "motherload" has arrived. The rep stated he expects anyone that has an order will get it this week(even the Dec 14 date orders).

After reading many reviews(thanks WADDELL for the review) , the 770 seems to be better for muiltmedia . Since this will be a part time replacement for my laptop, having better res , larger screen and better multitasking capibilities is important. The open source will provide just about any application that is needed. The $50.00 OFF code puts this close to the $300.00 price range. Circuit City has a tempting offer today for the Palm X (249.00) Web Special in store pick . (Best Buy will Match).

To clarify, multimedia is the one area I'm not to sure about. The 770 processor seems a little underpowered for video relative to the screen size, until someone takes the time to use the processor properly. It contain 2D graphics accelerators and it's own DSP,

http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...data/omap_1710

so I expect it should be pretty capable. As it stands right now, you can do video,

http://www.internettablettalk.com/blog/?p=159

but not full frame. This is still comparable to what you'd see on a palm device though. The palm is a mature product and has mature solutions for video. The 770 is a young product - so young in fact that I don't even have one yet. I think the 770 video playback software will improve over then next few months, but that's just a WAG.

If video was my primary motivation for getting such a device, I'd get something designed from the start to be a video player, e.g. an archos pmp, or just use a portable DVD player which costs < $200 USD. For me video is around #4 in importance - reasonable performance is all I need on this device.

I guess it goes without saying, but I'd really like to get my hands on a 770 to see what that baby is capable of first hand. My order still says
"open" and processed on nov 14th, so I hope it gets shipped early next week as some people have stated was their understanding of the situation.

Originally Posted by skase
Spoke with Nokia today. It sounds like the "motherload" has arrived. The rep stated he expects anyone that has an order will get it this week(even the Dec 14 date orders).

After reading many reviews(thanks WADDELL for the review) , the 770 seems to be better for muiltmedia . Since this will be a part time replacement for my laptop, having better res , larger screen and better multitasking capibilities is important. The open source will provide just about any application that is needed. The $50.00 OFF code puts this close to the $300.00 price range. Circuit City has a tempting offer today for the Palm X (249.00) Web Special in store pick . (Best Buy will Match).
Skase.. do you mean the Palm T/X? If so, the CC price is 274.99 (web special). Where did you see the $249.00 price?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just an aside to any Canadians being bored on the sidelines of the great 770 wait, the T/X is available to us. Now it's just a matter of seeing which wins out, my patience with Nokia, or my want for a new toy.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
As a European (and yes, a 770 owner) it could be worse - Europe had to wait almost a full year before the PSP became available!

Nokia may not have executed as well as they might with their 770 production runs and distribution, but the wait could have been a whole lot longer if Nokia had the same cr@p mentality as Sony, so maybe cut Nokia some slack guys! I'm sure they're working as hard as they can to get you your 770's

Originally Posted by Milhouse
As a European (and yes, a 770 owner) it could be worse - Europe had to wait almost a full year before the PSP became available!

Nokia may not have executed as well as they might with their 770 production runs and distribution, but the wait could have been a whole lot longer if Nokia had the same cr@p mentality as Sony, so maybe cut Nokia some slack guys! I'm sure they're working as hard as they can to get you your 770's
So what, because Sony delayed the availability of the PSP in the European market, European 770 customers whose orders have yet to be filled and all waiting US customers should be thankful the wait won't be that long? Sorry, but as a paying customer, I have the right to express dissatisfaction when a company botches a launch. It not only impacts the short term issue of availability, but could have a lasting effect on the 770's long term viability. It's easy to encourage people to cut Nokia slack when you already have yours...

And yes, I am moody this evening.

Jeff

Originally Posted by inhibitech
Screw NOKIA and their stupid little toy. First I sent my just purchased 6682 in for repair FORTYFIVE days ago and to this day they haven't even given me a estimate of when I will see my phone again, if ever. This after they assured me it would take 7 to 10 working days. ......and now they can't even get the 770 release right, that's it! I'm turning to the cingular HTC WIZARD 8125, a much better device all around IMO. I'll get the 770 next year when they're begging people to please buy it for $99.00
HTC WIZARD 8125, PocketPC phone with 240 x 320 pixels display? If you are considering this as an alternative to Nokia 770, you should really list your needs and think again.

Have you really checked the HTC WIZARD? That thing rocks! ................ Hey look, M$ BILL and his gang are already working on a similar device running WM 6.0 that will be way better. So NOKIA keep taking your time putting this out, next year you will have to contend with MICROSOFT, APPLE, SAMSUNG and everyone else launching internet tablets on their own. Good look.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
So what, because Sony delayed the availability of the PSP in the European market, European 770 customers whose orders have yet to be filled and all waiting US customers should be thankful the wait won't be that long? Sorry, but as a paying customer, I have the right to express dissatisfaction when a company botches a launch. It not only impacts the short term issue of availability, but could have a lasting effect on the 770's long term viability. It's easy to encourage people to cut Nokia slack when you already have yours...

And yes, I am moody this evening.

Jeff
You're perfectly entitled to be moody!

I guess my point is, perhaps Nokia would have been better off not announcing the US launch until two or three months after the European launch (ie. Jan 2006 at the earliest) - perhaps Nokia should have filled all the European orders first, then announced the US launch only once the demand had been satisfied in Europe.

That's the sort of thing they could have done, and maybe should have done given the demand. I'm sure that would have gone down less well than waiting the few weeks you all are now. Nokia have dropped the ball big time in terms of expectation management, and with all the negative publicity would have been better off keeping the US waiting for months, instead they're doing their best to get units to the US as soon as possible. And for their efforts they're accused of "potentially harming the future of the 770" - I guess they figure they can't win!

Hopefully demand significantly outstripping supply can be taken as a "good thing", and will have no effect whatsoever on the long term viability of this product or any successors.

And yes, it's easier for me to make these comments as I already have one - but then I also waited for a PSP... and eventually gave up and ordered one from Japan 6 months before the European launch. While I didn't pony up the money to Sony and then have to wait, I do have some understanding of what you're going through. At least Nokia seem pretty honourable and doing their best, which is the last thing that comes to mind when talking about Sony these days...

Part of my displeasure is the additional waiting, but I'm kind of used to that as there's usually always something new that I'm waiting to be released. I'm a bleeding edge of technology guy so this kind of thing is not unexpected. By the way, I also ordered a PSP from Japan when it launched there last December as I couldn't wait for the US launch.

What gets me is when companies, especially large ones that should know better, mishandle situations like this. While delaying the launch until suitable stock was available would have caused me a longer wait, it would have been a far better business decision. A lot of folks probably don't care much about this aspect, but I do.

This product type faces many challenges to being successful in the marketplace without having launch supply problems. Proper product management includes putting together a marketing and distribtuion strategy that maximizes the product's sales potential. Thusfar, Nokia has stumbled. It is by no means a lost cause, but every day that goes by without it being rectified, the situation gets worse.

Let me just throw out a few roadblocks to the 770's potential success:

- See my marketing challenges post a while back
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...=1143#post1143

- The holiday season is rapidly approaching. They really need to fix this supply issue or risk losing a significant number of such sales. The price point is enough to make it something that some would reserve for a "special occasion" type purchase. Ideally, the marketing would have been in place a while back to maximize this buying period but obviously, that hasn't happened.

- Gates and Intel are pushing a handheld sized version of the tablet PC. Apple is rumored to be working on a handheld of their own. While there would be various ways to compete with either or both, Nokia would be far better served to get the 770 out and firmly established to make the other guys play catch-up. If and when those others materialize, the fight will be much tougher.

- Nokia has in the 770 a type of sale that they aren't as used to. Rather than having carriers subsidize the cost of expensive handsets and allow them to easily move many millions of units, they have to sell the 770 in a traditional retail environment. That's a challenge for them and requires a change in thinking.

If they can get broadband providers on board to offer 770s with new service signups, that's great, but it's still not the same thing as the cell phone business where a cell phone is a necessary ingredient to using the service. There are many devices customers can bring to use with broadband service.

These are just some of the challenges they have in making the 770 successful. No need to pile on top with launch confusion and quantity shortages.

Jeff

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
In all honesty it boils down to this; we're impatient consumers. We want. Not now, yesterday. Or maybe the day before. If Europe got it months before the US and Canada did (I had to throw in Canada for bitterness' sake) you'd still hear the irate comments.

If the 770 was windows based, I wouldn't be interested in it to be honest, I'd probably shell out for a TX. Originally I just wanted a PDA with a browser and Wifi connectivity. The open horizon so far as software's concerned is what the main appeal of the 770 is for me. Otherwise it'd just be another PDA with a bunch of overly expensive software packages for me to buy.