Notices

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sunny Woollahra
Get it running on my N900? (I am a bit of a noob, please be gentle & continue reading)

I bought it on Steam (and it runs great on my laptop - available Here ) though it is the sort of game where an idea for a solution can come to you anywhere at any time.

The above link provides a link to the demo for PC, Mac & Linux so I thought I'd try to get it working on my N900. I downloaded it to my N900 (its a .tar.gz) but HAM wont open it.

So I emailed the developer & received this as a reply:

On Linux the game requires Mono. If you can find an ARM port of Mono it is possible that you could get the game to run by following the directions on our site, although considering the game uses GL and not GL-ES and runs at no less than 1024x768 I'm skeptical that it will work.
These are the directions from the website: Here
Install on Ubuntu
Wait for the package to finish downloading.
Extract the SpaceChem-XXXX.tar.gz archive.
In the extracted folder, open the correct Debian package for your platform by double-clicking on it. Don't worry, Ubuntu won't let you install the wrong one!
If you are on an i386 (32 bit) platform, select the “SpaceChem-i386.deb” package.
If you are on an amd64 (64 bit) platform, double-click the “make-amd64-package.sh” script. When it completes, select the “SpaceChem-amd64.deb” package.
Click the “install” button in the package installation program.

Install on Other Linux Distributions
If you cannot install the Debian package successfully, you can manually extract and run SpaceChem. First, you need the following libraries installed:
SDL
SDL_mixer
SDL_image
Mono 2.0
Mono WCF 3.0 library (Debian package "libmono-wcf3.0-cil")
Mono WinForms library (Debian package "libmono-winforms2.0-cil")
xclip
Next, from bash or a similar command-line interface:
Copy SpaceChem.deb or SpaceChemDemo.deb into a temporary directory.
Extract the game files from the Debian package.
~$ mkdir temp
~$ cd temp
~/temp$ cp ~/Downloads/SpaceChem.deb .
~/temp$ ar x SpaceChem.deb
~/temp$ tar xf data.tar.gz
~/temp$ mv opt/zachtronicsindustries/spacechem/ .
Now you can delete everything in the temporary directory but the spacechem folder, which contains the game.
To launch SpaceChem, change directories to inside spacechem and launch it through Mono:
~/temp$ cd spacechem
~/temp/spacechem$ mono SpaceChem.exe
You can move the SpaceChem folder anywhere you want, but it must be launched from within the spacechem directory.
So I searched TMO for mono & found this: MonoDevelop[ & downloaded & installed it.

Now what do I need to do to get this running on my (our) phone? ie do I need to download anything else or should I just open X Terminal & start typing?

Thanks Again

Arthur

Last edited by rfa; 2011-06-08 at 02:51. Reason: Neatening

t. Don't worry, Ubuntu won't let you install the wrong one!
If you are on an i386 (32 bit) platform, select the “SpaceChem-i386.deb” package.
If you are on an amd64 (64 bit) platform, double-click the “make-amd64-package.sh” script.
It is only for 32 & 64 bit PC's so it won't on arm. Also runs under GL so either you would get a black screen or I don't know sorry.

Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
It is only for 32 & 64 bit PC's so it won't on arm. Also runs under GL so either you would get a black screen or I don't know sorry.
Firstly thanks for your reply.

I guess my question is more in relation to the manual extraction and running of SpaceChem as per the "Other Linux Distro" instructions cf the Author (of the games) instruction to find a ARM port of MONO.

Isn't that what MonoDevel is?

Also I don't understand i) what "runs under GL" refers to* and ii) the difference (or even what is) GL / GL-ES**

_____
* your post / ** Author's email

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Monodevelop is an IDE, for coding.
You need mono.

Either way, as Radicalz said, its 32/64bit- not ARM so you wont be able to run it anyway.

Mono is cross-platform, so the x86/ARM thing doesnt count

and since it can run on Android/iOS, there should be any ARM port already

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
There is an ARM port, ive used it for my Smartcam port.
And with Pillums post- My bad, even though ive used it It completely went over my head

Can you provide us the exe file? I suspect that it uses Tao framework which isn't built for N900 yet.

Try to install the archive via dpkg -i and then run apt-get install -f

Originally Posted by keks-n View Post
Try to install the archive via dpkg -i and then run apt-get install -f
Is this for MonoDevelop or SpaceChem?

As I said earlier, I'm a bit of a noob.

Last edited by rfa; 2011-06-08 at 21:05.