Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
With such an "open" O/S you cannot code/test all integration/use case possibilities so easily.
What on earth are you talking about!?

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Originally Posted by nowave7 View Post
What on earth are you talking about!?
which language do you want me to translate it to ? xD

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Uh-oh sounds like someone's had a dip in the development software pool. Perhaps it would be better to test the stable branch?

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Eldar doesn't have an official prototype, so it's highly likely that he has an even older hardware version than the one nokia sent out to their stores and "official" reviewers.
flashing that with some OS update (where'd he get that??) is by no means a reliable source of information.

i don't take that guy seriously at all, if i want random rumors i read tabloids, those are at least entertaining.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
I read Ari Jaaksi's blog when around the time of Nokia World, and right before Nokia World he spoke about receiving a new firmware update OTA, and how comfortable such updating was. IIRC was on Twitter or small blog post. In any case that confirms there was a firmware update right before Nokia World. So what? Doesn't sound like some Evil Thing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
With such an "open" O/S you cannot code/test all integration/use case possibilities so easily.
That wasn't at ALL a blathering statement dripping with ignorance. Has he never used a desktop PC running Linux or a server running Solaris. Oh hell.. hasn't even used GOOGLE before? I hear they're running an open OS on their systems too. What does he have against "open" operating systems? I just as likely to point out that in a "closed" operating system, you cannot have enough people involved in vetting the software to test all integration/use cases.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
several people tend to defend eldar and claim he's so 'respected'. well there are some things that for sure would increase my respect for him:

eldar recently tweeted:
Have to delete some of 300 screenshots of maemo5, may be limited them around 200. review 10 pages long Done it.
so we'll soon be able to look not only at his opinions about maemo5, but also how he takes the context into consideration.

Last edited by edgar2; 2009-09-23 at 20:00. Reason: added links, clarified

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgar2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Well his statement is correct when considering 3rd party addons (community supported repositories). But that counts for any OS.

Also, given he is running an unknown hardware and unknown software version (with god knows which fixes are made for by Nokia inbetween) we cannot take his comments too serious. Given the device us not released yet it is actually good beta testers experience bugs. That way they can be fixed before final release.

Would like to see dmesg and software version and such...

Man I just tried a beta of Windows 7 on this stolen netbook here. I'm not telling you which versions of hardware and software, but believe me, the kernel keeps crashing. What a **** products. Don't buy 'em. While you're at it please click on some ads on my site. Kthxbye...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by edgar2 View Post

eldar recently tweeted:

so we'll soon be able to look not only at his opinions about maemo5, but also how he takes the context into consideration.
Wow - already done with a review (no p right?) before the product is finished, that's just awesome!

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

Last edited by frals; 2009-09-23 at 16:31. Reason: clarification

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
He said previously that he received his hardware in May, who knows whats changed since then and he might just have a dodgy unit anyway.

I respect Eldars views but dont take them as gospel. Same for any reviewer and the final word comes from my own hands on, i never buy a device without testing it first. Hence why i didnt buy the N97.

Tags
eldar, nokia n900 preview