Notices

Maemo seems to be great at the first look but one thing is really missing: J2ME / Midlet Support? It don't mean small screen j2me emulation. For example Opera Mini runs great with high resolution devices also with touch. What about J2ME Support in Maemo?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by felixlein View Post
Maemo seems to be great at the first look but one thing is really missing: J2ME / Midlet Support? It don't mean small screen j2me emulation. For example Opera Mini runs great with high resolution devices also with touch. What about J2ME Support in Maemo?
Java is not included on the device, nor is there an implementation of J2ME/Midlet support.

I'm not sure why you would want to run Opera Mini when you're able to run a browser that's almost full Firefox already...?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I'm not sure why you would want to run Opera Mini when you're able to run a browser that's almost full Firefox already...?
It's simple: Opera mini is fast on slow 2G network speed by proxy-compression. Outside cities there is only 4KB/s left.

There's phoneMe project, which I think had a version for N800. I think it had at least CDC support. Not sure if it is able to run MIDlets. I would also like to run midlets for legacy support if nothing else. There are still many applications that doesn't exist natively on maemo.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by felixlein View Post
It's simple: Opera mini is fast on slow 2G network speed by proxy-compression. Outside cities there is only 4KB/s left.
Okay, that makes sense to me.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
You could probably get proxy compression setup on some server or something and use it with whatever browser you want.

The Following User Says Thank You to ruskie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
You could probably get proxy compression setup on some server or something and use it with whatever browser you want.
Skweezer is often recommended by users of existing tablets who tether to phones with slow data connections. I have not used it myself.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
Google does a pretty good job too.

Dig upon >> this <<

http://www.google.com/m/search

It is also possible to add this additional search engine to the Internet Search applet if you have root access to your tablet. The configuration files for the search applet are located under /usr/share/mis.

For example, for Google it looks like this:

--------------
<search name="Google"
icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon/qgn_indi_search_google.png"
action="http://www.google.com/search"
user-input="q">
<input name="btnG" value="Search"/>
<input name="hl" value="en"/>
<input name="safe" value="medium"/>
<input name="client" value="ms-nokia-wifi"/>
</search>
--------------

If you add /m to the "action" line like so

Your searches will return results formatted for a mobile device if available.

Having used Motorola handsets exclusively for 10 years I also have an extensive J2ME collection.
However, I have yet to find anything in that collection that I couldn't do faster with Flash or home grown and locally stored HTML on an Internet Tablet. Even at my 19.2 k GPRS connection.

Some >> examples <<

Also posted >> here <<

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-09-16 at 23:16.

There are tons of apps that are J2ME that could be useful to many people.

For example my workplace requires an RSA token to log onto the VPN. They make a J2ME app which emulates the token. I wish I would be able to run that on the tablets.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iKneaDough For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Not disagreening on that. There probably are some j2me apps that might be more then usefull. But I guess someone would need to port j2me to an arm+linux system.