Notices

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
At multishot: do you plan to duplicate other app features, like multishot, HDR, bracket shooting, or is it going to be just a main camera replacement?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
At multishot: do you plan to duplicate other app features, like multishot, HDR, bracket shooting, or is it going to be just a main camera replacement?
No, just a main camera replacement.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
I had already tried R and tried it again just now but still don't see any RAW files in the DCIM directory.
First things first: when you press R do you see the word "RAW" appear in the bottom of the view finder to the right of the gps icon?

You should. If not, then the camera is not in RAW-mode. And the raw file is presented as xxxxxxxxx.jpg.dng

Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
First things first: when you press R do you see the word "RAW" appear in the bottom of the view finder to the right of the gps icon?

You should. If not, then the camera is not in RAW-mode. And the raw file is presented as xxxxxxxxx.jpg.dng
It eventually worked. I rebooted my system and then it started to work. Not sure why but I'm not going to complain.

I tried to import the RAW file into Lightroom but it was a no-go. LR says it did not recognize the RAW format. I saw that you were able to open it using RAW Therapee. I wonder if the DNG was written before or after the phone's demosaic algorithm. I know the phone processes the image (no vignette as was mentioned) but would love to save RAW editing and NR to third-party software.

Any chance this might work in Lightroom one day?

@Nicolai: respectfully, could we keep the latest version attached to the first post. At the mo' the latest is on http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=107 and many may miss it.

regards,

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
It eventually worked. I rebooted my system and then it started to work. Not sure why but I'm not going to complain.

I tried to import the RAW file into Lightroom but it was a no-go. LR says it did not recognize the RAW format. I saw that you were able to open it using RAW Therapee. I wonder if the DNG was written before or after the phone's demosaic algorithm. I know the phone processes the image (no vignette as was mentioned) but would love to save RAW editing and NR to third-party software.

Any chance this might work in Lightroom one day?
Does the dng output of fcamera work in Lightroom?

The dng file generated by camera-ui2 is nearly identical to the jpg at default RAW development values, so I think it is heavily processed. Compare dng output between fcamera and camera-ui2. Fcamera seems to generate a "rawer" RAW, taking the presence of vignetting as evidence as well as how well rawtherapee etc can develop it. No criticism of Nicolai here, as I know he has simply utilised a "built-in".

And what is "NR" written by you above?

Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Does the dng output of fcamera work in Lightroom?
Yes, it does. My workflow has been FCAM and Lightroom.

The dng file generated by camera-ui2 is nearly identical to the jpg at default RAW development values, so I think it is heavily processed.
I wanted to verify. When I looked at the file in RAW Thjerapee the thumbnail looks like the JPG file but once you open the RAW file the thumbnail changes. I did a quick comparison between FCAM and Camera-ui2 and the output is nearly identical. Color might be slightly better on FCAM

Camera-ui2 RAW does give control over demosaic and NR just like the FCAM DNG.

Compare dng output between fcamera and camera-ui2. Fcamera seems to generate a "rawer" RAW, taking the presence of vignetting as evidence as well as how well rawtherapee etc can develop it. No criticism of Nicolai here, as I know he has simply utilised a "built-in".
Since FCAM already has the rawer RAW I would prefer to see a more processed RAW (closer to the JPEG output). Since Nokia understands the characteristics of the lens and sensor they produce a much more pleasing output. I think that is a better baseline for RAW editing (assuming we still have access to demosaic and NR)

And what is "NR" written by you above?
NR is Noise Reduction. I prefer very heavy Chroma NR vs luminance. Chroma NR gets rid of the red and blue dots. Luminance gets rid of grain.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
No, just a main camera replacement.
Any chance we might get manual control over shutter speed and ISO?

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Any chance we might get manual control over shutter speed and ISO?
Shutter speed:
I don't think I can control the shutter speed.

ISO:
There are two modes for the ISO level, automatic and
manual. In manual mode any value can be set.
The restriction to the three ISO-level values (100/200/400)
is just in the UI.

Nicolai

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
Shutter speed:
I don't think I can control the shutter speed.

ISO:
There are two modes for the ISO level, automatic and
manual. In manual mode any value can be set.
The restriction to the three ISO-level values (100/200/400)
is just in the UI.

Nicolai
Hey Nicola. Thanks for all of your hard work on all of this.

Of course you're right about the ISO having manual options. According to my RAW viewer and RAW Therapee though I can get to ISO 800 using Auto ISO but that is not available manual option. Would it be possible add manual options for 800 and 1600?

Also, do you think it would be possible for the RAW output to be closer to the JPEG output?

Tags
camera-ui, fremantle