Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
4.3" screen if it's a modified version of the HTC Passion or the HD2, as has been guessed in numerous reports, e.g.,
I've been hearing "smaller screen", closer to that of an iPod Touch/iPhone

a good screen-based keyboard ought to be sufficient to fill the gap.
Nope. Physical qwerty is mandatory (on my phone/pocketable). 5 rows highly preferred.

This Nexus One is actually sounding like it's going to be a very interesting phone. I'm getting an N900 around Christmas, but I still can't wait to see what the Google phone has to offer. Rumor has it that it'll be unlocked or sold on contract at T-Mobile, so I figure I might sell the iPhone I currently use (I can get around $340 for it) and get the Nexus One. Having both the N900 as an internet device/media player/phone as well as the Nexus one for when I don't want or need to use the N900 sounds ideal. And both would use T-Mobile's 3G Network

I'm with John. Any phone without some form of physical qwerty keyboard is simply not even in the running for me. Hell even the Palm Pre would stand a better chance for my money than the Google Phone. But to each their own.

Looks like T-Mo USA did not pick up the N900 due to the el Goog phone being targeted to T-Mo's 3G spectrum.

N770, N810, N900, N97, N85, E71, 5800xm, iPhone(retired)
AT&T & T-Mobile

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by MaemoCurmudgeon View Post
Looks like T-Mo USA did not pick up the N900 due to the el Goog phone being targeted to T-Mo's 3G spectrum.
No doubt a factor, but a minor one.. IMHO T-Mobile passed on the N900 because:

a. High cost of training CS personnel to 'officially' offer and support the N900.
b. Little need to offer sales and support of the N900. Most people who really wanted a N900 would get it on their own and switch to T-Mo for 3G whether the N900 was supported 'officially' by T-Mo or not.
c. T-Mo's new policy (Even More Plus plans) of commonly supporting unlocked phones, part of which is to lessen training and support needs.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
According to this article it should be here, unlocked, in early January.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...r-than-iphone/

Man, with all these N900 delays, I am seriously tempted to just jump ship.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I was stoked to get an N900 (why not yet? Being-in-Canada and money issues, I'm afraid) but the Nexus One looks mighty interesting for my use cases. If I'm realistic about what I'll do on my phone -- casual surfing, ssh'ing, music playing, gps, and photos -- then the Nexus One *could* be a great device for me. Of course if the photo quality sucks then I can't seriously look at it, but the HD2 is supposed to have satisfactory camera performance, and so the Nexus One may be fine in this regard.

I really like the fact that most android phones are receiving ports of the latest OSs. This increases the life span of the hardware tremendously as its supported well beyond its introduction.

Plus I *love* the slim form factor. This is a major selling feature for me, as I dress somewhat stylish, and bulky items tend to require additional bags. With this device, I can much more easily put it into my pocket.

My laptop handles the heavy lifting tasks, and the phone would likely act as a gateway to larger devices. That said, so long as the nexus one performs well in each function, it would be a fine system for me.

Lastly, the rumor that it's unlocked and will support T-Mo and AT&T sounds really nice as, being in Canada, our services are rather limited. We're waiting on Globalive to be locally born to enjoy 3G on the N900, otherwise it's edge city.

I'm looking forward to hearing more news!

}:^)~

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Lastly, the rumor that it's unlocked and will support T-Mo and AT&T sounds really nice as, being in Canada, our services are rather limited. We're waiting on Globalive to be locally born to enjoy 3G on the N900, otherwise it's edge city.
I believe when it hit the FCC, it only had support for T-Mobile-USA, not AT&T.

I think it was posted to Engadget, but I'm not sure. I didn't keep the article :-}

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post

I think it was posted to Engadget, but I'm not sure. I didn't keep the article :-}
Thanks John. This certainly subtracts a point from my N1 tally. I just wish I was able to try these devices prior to making a decision. I'm going based on spec-sheets and the feverish ramblings inherent in fanboy comments..

In any event, there's time still, so it'll be nice to see new information forthcoming.

What do you think an SSHing experience using an android on-screen keypad (OSK) will be like? This is my largest concern, and probably one of the most compelling reasons to choose the N900 over the N1. All other functions, I could care less about, but currently on my N810 due to the way the OSK is set up (hijacks the entire screen), ssh almost requires the built-in keypad. My uses would be running simple commands, not hacking code or anything (that's what the BT keyboard is for... or the laptop! )

}:^)~

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post

I found the article here: http://www.brighthand.com/default.as...S+ATT+T-Mobile

The Nexus One will support T-Mobile's 3-G but only AT&T's Edge.

Although I have the N900, I am thinking about getting the Nexus, too. I'll swap phones according to my particular need for that day.