Notices

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I had a bluetooth keyboard. My wife was on the kitchen laptop, so I used the tablet. It seems to be important to hit "Preview Post" frequently, because some unknown key combination causes the tablet's browser to jump back a page, losing everything I've typed. "Preview Post" saves my work.
Yeah... I've had my posts lost (no keyboard) when using the tablet just by pressing the backspace key

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Would the Quiver trick also work for Maemo Mapper. Show current map and GPS position on the desktop?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Nelson L. Squeeko View Post
Would the Quiver trick also work for Maemo Mapper. Show current map and GPS position on the desktop?
Don't see why not

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Haven't tried this but it looks awesome! How is performance?

BTW, I found http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_b...obile_devices/ & http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_b...obile_devices/ to contain lots of nice backgrounds. I found it via http://images.google.nl/images?hl=nl&q=800x480

My goal is to create some kind of pseudo-animated background based on the time of the day. Could be done in SVGs, transparent PNGs + background colour and/or image, or static PNGs. But I have some issues...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
VERY cool app. Thanks qole.
Originally Posted by qole View Post
A cool side effect: If you return to the desktop from a fullscreen app using the switch (home) key, you can see the app behind the desktop. So start a slideshow in Quiver, then go back to your desktop, and you now have a slideshow for wallpaper!
If for some reason that of course doesn't reflect on on the overall coolness of this side effect, someone didn't want this particular cool side effect to happen, in spite of all it's coolness, is there any way to disable it?

(you can please some of the people some of the time, ... )
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by grog View Post
VERY cool app. Thanks qole.

If for some reason that of course doesn't reflect on on the overall coolness of this side effect, someone didn't want this particular cool side effect to happen, in spite of all it's coolness, is there any way to disable it?

(you can please some of the people some of the time, ... )
This is a problem with Hildon-Desktop. It turns out that when you return to the desktop from a non-minimized window using the task switcher menu on the bottom left of the screen, that Hildon doesn't minimize the window, it takes a quick-and-dirty shortcut and only shoves it "behind" the desktop. This normally has the same effect as minimizing the window, but when the desktop is transparent, you can see right through to Hildon's little cheats.

So this effect only happens if you leave the application's window open; if you minimize the application windows, they don't "show through" the desktop.

You have two choices; you either see the X root window through a transparent desktop, and then you also get this side-effect, or you kill the transparent desktop and get neither X root window nor open "background" windows.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
UPDATE: After reading about a recent job posting, I wanted to see exactly how difficult it would be to set up my own little repository. So I set one up using this howto and FatalSaint's repository as a template; it wasn't very difficult.

Anyway, I was also motivated to do this because I wanted to make this stuff easier to install. And hey, it is easier now, you can do it from the Application Manager!

Add this to Application Manager -> Tools -> Application Catalogue -> New button

Code:
Catalogue name: Qole
Web address: http://qole.maemobox.org/repository
Distribution: maemo
Components: main
Now, when you go to Browse installable applications -> Other, you'll be able to install setback 0.1.0 and all the other stuff will be installed automagically...

Feel free, once this is installed, to remove my little repository. This is purely an experiment with the side effect (that some might consider cool, others not so much) that this little hack is easy to install.

... waiting for the maemo repository police to come and bang on my door ...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Using this cool little hack combined with cron I've managed to create an automatic slideshow-like effect. I think that's REALLY cool. Thanks muchly qole.
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

The Following User Says Thank You to grog For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by grog View Post
Using this cool little hack combined with cron I've managed to create an automatic slideshow-like effect. I think that's REALLY cool. Thanks muchly qole.
Would you mind sharing your find out be cool for everyone to know unless ?

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Maybe I should put chron or dcron into my repository too? I'd have to "debianize" them, but that's another useful skill I'd like to teach myself.

Last edited by qole; 2008-12-09 at 20:16.

Tags
background, hildon-desktop, qwerty12, transparent, wallpaper