Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys, I am shopping around for a new laptop. My old T42 is going the way of the Dodo so, I need to replace it asap before it leaves me alone in the cold. I am looking for an affordable but, not cheap, capable laptop. I can't afford a gaming laptop but, it should have good graphics for at least last two years games. Your suggestions?

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
I would wait until the new intel chips come out.

But...

Lenovo T400/500 and Y550
MacBook Pro 13/15
Etc...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Compaq presario are a good range IMO, built like tanks also, not sure what the prices start at but i dont think there too expensive.

if you have a desktop, then get a netbook.
If you don't have a desktop, get a desktop and a netbook.

I just recently got an MSI Wind U100, I am liking it quite a bit. 2 gig ram, 1.6 Intel Atom, 160 gig HD, bluetooth and b/g/n wireless, 10" 1024x600 LCD and a 6-cell battery and I got it all off ebay for $240 shipped. Affordable but not cheap, right? This machine is faster than my desktop (which is around 5 years old though). And it overclocks by 24% too!

i was going to reccomend overclockers.co.uk, but then realised you're in US.
the only advice i can give, is DONT get a DELL!
the pretty colours may be tempting, but bundled processes and services slow down your' machine, and quality of less important components such as psu and RAM are poor. especially ram, as most commercial computer companies seem to be more interesting in boasting how many GB's rather than how good/fast the ram is. sorry i probably didn't help xD

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Best Buy has at least 20 cheaper than the n900.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.