Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by Staska View Post
Had a really painful experience with my Nokia N900.

Needed to delete all the contacts from the address book. Did just that. Manually. Didn't find "Delete all" option in time. And did not pay attention to a warning "The contacts will be deleted from server". Now all my contact lists from Skype, Gtalk and MSN Messenger from the last 6 years, are just gone.

More info here: http://www.unwiredview.com/2009/11/2...er-im-servers/

Am I an idiot? Yep. I surely feel that way. But I also feel a bit angry at Nokia too. If you are making a consumer device, you are supposed to make it idiot proof.

Yeah, I know N900 is not really a consumer device. There's one more iteration until they get there. Still. Some better warning would have helped.

"Contacts will be deleted from server?". What do I care?

I had the backups, so everything's supposed to be restored anyway. And why should I worry if N900 is deleting contacts from some server, when I'm deleting 10-30 contacts at a time and most of them are phone numbers from my phonebook. And only a few are my IM contacts?

Problem is, the backup saved only those IM contacts that I merged with phone contacts in address book. All others, brought in there from Skype, Gtalk and MSN are lost.

How about the warning that says "All your Skype, GTalk, MSN contacts will be deleted from Skype, GTalk, MSN servers, and we do not back them up with any available utility. So they will be really truly gone". That one, I would have paid attention to.

Anyway. I try to look at the bright side now. 90% of the IM contacts lost were garbage. I don't even have an idea who they are. Some guy or gal who wanted to talk to me at some point in time about something. Good riddance and good phonebook cleanup.

But the other 10%? I'm really gonna miss those.
No one to blame but yourself--you can't even use the excuse 'idiot proof', it's all on you bud. This device isn't meant for idiots, that's why the world has iPhones. Again can't put any blame on Nokia. Don't mean to come off as rude, but putting blame on Nokia for this is like saying you cut your finger nail too short so it's the manufacturers fault for not creating protective guard.

-Socrates 469 BC

Last edited by spinnukur; 2009-11-27 at 23:05.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
The problem of deleting mail from the server if you remove it from the device is something all phones I've ever had have done: don't delete from the device till you have downloaded that mail. The bugger for me is that there's no way to just d/l headers so i don't watse bandwith. Am debating a bookmark to webmail instead.

Sorry you lost your contacts, Staska - hope you got most opf them back now.

can someone convert the info in this page into a wiki entry please. Cos something tells me Staska won't be alone. Also, how about a wiki page on backing up. I'd like to get a walk-thru on that too.

And Qole, if you're lucky this will mean nothing to you but my first thought was 'Tuvix!'

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by MNX1024 View Post
I realize that this is the same issue with emails. If I delete my emails on the N900, it also gets deleted on my gmail account. To make it worse, it doesn't go to trash or deleted item, it just vanishes from your account without a trace.

Also, how do you get MSN? I thought it doesn't come with the phone and I can't seem to find a MSN messenger for the phone except for aMSN.
That is only the case if you are using IMAP. Use pop and if you delete the mails on your n900 they will still be on the mail server and readable with e.g. your pc's mail client.

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cherrypie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by spinnukur View Post
No one to blame but yourself--you can't even use the excuse 'idiot proof', it's all on you bud. This device isn't meant for idiots, that's why the world has iPhones. Again can't put any blame on Nokia.
Sorry, but we're talking about a serious UI-bug here... there's no excuse for a device to handle this situation as it does. - Remember, not even Maemo 4 did this, and it had the same kid of IM-integration into its contacts application.

It's a bug, and it's a bug that's new in maemo 5 while Maemo 4 did it right.

The problem is not that somebody could ignore the warning. The problem is that Maemo 5 does delete contacts from the server at all. It shouldn't, at least not from the address book. Worse, as I read it, it doesn't even give you a choice when you try to delete a single contact. (As I say: I don't have an N900, so I have to rely on the information in this thread about this.) It's either "delete it from the server" or "keep it on the phone". There's no "keep it on the server but delete it from the phone", which is default in every PIM suit I know and in Maemo 4.

Blaming the user for this is just really... trollish.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Is there a bug filed?

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Vienna
Originally Posted by Boke View Post
Is there a bug filed?
It's part of this.

Originally Posted by edgar2 View Post
see (and possibly vote for) this enhancement request

The Following User Says Thank You to goemb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
similar thing happened to me with my samsung jet.

i copied my contacts from my sim-card to the memory of the phone.
when i then opened my contact-list, every single contact was shown twice (obviously, once from the sim-card, and once from the jet-memory)
i didnt find a way to "filter" out the contacts from the sim-card because i only wanted the device to show the contacts from its own memory (because of the pictures i assigned to them)

so i thought: whatever, i'll delete all the contacts from the sim-card. when i change my phone, i'll just copy them back to the sim-card from the jet-memory.

so i clicked delete and checked all the sim-card-contacts and pushed delete again. what happens? the phone deletes ALL contacts. from sim-card AND internal memory. what the hell.

The Following User Says Thank You to msa For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
And Qole, if you're lucky this will mean nothing to you but my first thought was 'Tuvix!'
It didn't. Alas, this is the Internet.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
definatley a bug if i go into
all contacts >setting>delete all contacts it tells me IM contacts will not be deleted from server
but when i click a profile and try and delete contact one at a time it tells me deleting IM contact will remove them from server
this is very odd and not consistant enough

Last edited by NvyUs; 2009-11-27 at 18:50.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Sorry, but we're talking about a serious UI-bug here... there's no excuse for a device to handle this situation as it does. - Remember, not even Maemo 4 did this, and it had the same kid of IM-integration into its contacts application.

It's a bug, and it's a bug that's new in maemo 5 while Maemo 4 did it right.

The problem is not that somebody could ignore the warning. The problem is that Maemo 5 does delete contacts from the server at all. It shouldn't, at least not from the address book. Worse, as I read it, it doesn't even give you a choice when you try to delete a single contact. (As I say: I don't have an N900, so I have to rely on the information in this thread about this.) It's either "delete it from the server" or "keep it on the phone". There's no "keep it on the server but delete it from the phone", which is default in every PIM suit I know and in Maemo 4.

Blaming the user for this is just really... trollish.
That's why backing up your contacts to more than one place is a given and any person who is even a tad bit tech savy knows this. He makes it quite clear...
If you are making a consumer device, you are supposed to make it idiot proof.
He also stated
And did not pay attention to a warning "The contacts will be deleted from server".
He admit's it himself, he didn't pay attention to the warning, that's not a bug that's a 'noob moment' nothing more, nothing less--we all have them. Like I said before, their is no one to blame except himself, and since your statement make's it blatantly obvious you didn't read all that the OP said, the only troll here is you, not I.

-Socrates 469 BC

Last edited by spinnukur; 2009-11-27 at 23:20.

Tags
lack of quality control