Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
The Maemo community is currently looking for applications ideas to submit a proposal for Google Summer of Code 2010[1].

We participated in last year GSoC and we intend to participate again this year, but without good ideas the success of our participating would be compromised.

Have a killer app idea for Maemo ?
Do you miss some apps/functionalities in Maemo ?

Here's a good opportunity to speak

You can add your ideas directly here: http://wiki.maemo.org/GSoC_2010/Project_ideas or reply to this thread in order to brainstorm your ideas.

Keep in mind that this program has a 3 month timeframe and is executed by students, so very complex things can't be achieved.

Thanks.

PS - We're also looking for mentors and backup mentors.

[1] - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45050

The Following User Says Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Canada
We desperately need a search app like Spotlight on the iPhone.
It would index everything on the phone. So when I type for example ...Paul, it would locate anything in any folder in any category with that word in it and clicking on any of the results would launch the approriate application.

Example search results.

Paul Walsh - Launch Contact
Paul.jpg - Launch viewer
etc,

I've downloaded the Search Tool app, but it doesn't cut it. Maybe an update with above features would be great.

Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sp1ke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by Sp1ke View Post
It would index everything on the phone. So when I type for example ...Paul, it would locate anything in any folder in any category with that word in it and clicking on any of the results would launch the approriate application.

Example search results.

Paul.jpg - Launch viewer
etc,

I've downloaded the Search Tool app, but it doesn't cut it. Maybe an update with above features would be great.

Thanks.
Do we have 'locate' at the terminal prompt yet?

Does the project need to start from scratch or anything? If not it would be really cool to see a working Dalvik vm on Maemo.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by nbosch1 View Post
Does the project need to start from scratch or anything? If not it would be really cool to see a working Dalvik vm on Maemo.
No, can be any kind of contribution as long it uses a OSS license.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Sp1ke View Post

Example search results.

Paul.jpg - Launch viewer
etc,

Thanks.
I agree with you. We miss a decent globla search function.
Don't know spotlight but also something google desktop search would be nice. It is really strange that it does not exist a really decent open source search program.

But the list of good apps that we need could be more long:
- a good calendar app with PIM functions or GTD functions (even better)
- a better email client than modest
- editor for word/excel documents
etc etc

The Following User Says Thank You to SkyEagle For This Useful Post:
I would love to see a gui wrapper around a keyboard remapper

Something like KeyQuick for the Sony UX 50 would be awesome (even without the pop menu and calendar stuff)

The Following User Says Thank You to zoner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Do we have 'locate' at the terminal prompt yet?
No, but we do have 'find' which works great. Obviously, find/locate are NOT what I am talking about in my app request.

we need medical apps for diagnoses, diesases and treatment, lab tests and stuff. some 3d anathomy...

this would be great!!!

2 things I desperately need .
I'm a mainstream user turning to linux (on the laptop too) and I would make good of :
  1. a user friendly PIM (Calendar, Adress book, Task and Memo) that synchronizes at least with my laptop and some cloud app (Google lacks the memo part and the task is not too sexy, but I could go with it).
  2. Freemind (it needs java). My mindmaps are a lifeline in my professional life. I cannot do without it.
I'm crossing my fingers on these.

Tags
gsoc