Active Topics

Notices

Although interesting I doubt if this will be helpful. The volunteer developers will usually choose projects that they *personally* find interesting and challenging. And Nokia well.. I for one will not beg for them to add some feature. If some competitor makes a device that I like better then I will move on to that one.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-01-23 at 18:47.

What if no-one makes a device with that feature? Then it makes sense to beg them (if it's out of your own reach to implement, of course).

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
What if no-one makes a device with that feature? .
Then it is probably not profitable (yet).

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
I'm still thinking a 3d turn-by-turn navigation plugin to maemo mapper would be absolutly killer to the nokia tablets. Why buy a dedicated sat-nav device when you could get the same functionality from the nokia tablet and a whole lot more!

I for one take the tablet everywhere, in the house, on foot, and in the car. Navigation is right up there with Canola as essential for my daily tablet usage.

we would all love that but...
Most everything done is under open source licensing. And even maemo mapper walks a fine line when using google maps. Sat Navs like the Garmin Nuvi use proprietary maps and data base. Writing the function you are looking for really shouldn't be too difficult for developers BUT, sources for maps and data bases that are open source aren't as easily done. That's why Maemo mapper doesn't use maps you can buy like Navteq, not because it is too difficult to implement, but for copyright issues.

Would I like 3D turn by turn nav without downloading tracks before leaving the house? Sure, we all would.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
The tablet is excellent for web 2.0 apps.. but not all of them are perfect substitute of offline apps. Even if they are, there are times that we are not covered by good wifi\cell signal or the server may not be available.. so, to repeat the requests of others before me, I think the following offline apps are still necessary:
- PIM
- Email (Claw is much too much with lots of room to optimize the UI and flow, Modest may be too modest.. hopefully not)

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
Going by the title I thought it is more about what is important not necessarily new features but new might be important. For me what I want is reliable presence functionality which for now isn't 100%, xmpp for example needs to be improved. Being portable we aren't always online so presence is rather key for me. My primary contacts are either available via SIP(s), xmpp, and email so I want to have quick and simple communication channels without running stand alone apps all the time.

Fully functional BT is important (if BT didn't suck in general), getting stereo and voice with functional controls over BT is rather important given what the N8 can do when stationary. I thought BT would be the cat's meow for all sorts of functions but BT itself as I've discovered isn't what I thought it was so I'm not too worried if it ever gets fixed but if it gets better I'll be happy.

Speaking of web 2.0 apps, I see the NIT as a good platform for presence enabled mini apps. Delivered via web or even better, xmpp, I can see all sorts of customized apps being highly useful in this form factor.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Colorado, US
I noticed recently that Photobooth on Apple computers is really the killer app - in terms of selling. I was trying to convince my parents about the benefits of a Macbook, and they didn't really understand the creative aspect until I fired that up - it really is a ton of fun, and everybody likes to take goofy pictures of themselves.

I think it would be great to clone it, or expand existing camera apps to do something similar.

For those not in the know, photobooth adds great and unique realtime effects to the built-in webcam.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Montag View Post
I noticed recently that Photobooth on Apple computers is really the killer app - in terms of selling. I was trying to convince my parents about the benefits of a Macbook, and they didn't really understand the creative aspect until I fired that up - it really is a ton of fun, and everybody likes to take goofy pictures of themselves.

I think it would be great to clone it, or expand existing camera apps to do something similar.

For those not in the know, photobooth adds great and unique realtime effects to the built-in webcam.
GNOME Cheese provides sth similar.

Could someone please port Gnome cheese to maemo or Debian for Nxx's. TIA