Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
I like rTorrent. It is fast, uses libTorrent, and doesn't need a GUI (for console). It allows remote control over SCGI. Ctorrent is also nice as it allows remote control.

A client/daemon backend is most suitable solution. An example of such an architecture is Museek-Plus for SoulSeek, MDonkey which supports hoards of P2P protocols, or for example IRC BNCs and Irssi-Proxy. It is very flexible, and excellent for dumb terminals/dumb clients/thin clients to connect to, saving resources. It works by using library which speaks the P2P protocol. This is used by a daemon which listens on a socket and port. The daemon acts as a proxy between the server and the client which connects. To this you can connect to with a client backend (http, console via socket, qt gui optimized for desktop, gtk gui optimized for tablet/phone, osx gui, windows gui, ..). This daemon can run on the tablet so that client backends control the P2P application running on the tablet, but it could also run on an other machine. This way a user using Maemo can BitTorrent running on a different computer than theirs. For example on their router (OpenWRT) or on their Windows computer or a server. This saves a lot of resources on the tablet, and even the data could be exported using UPnP-AV.

Most BitTorrent clients on desktops allow the user to control it via web browser over http:// but there is otherwise not a standard developed for control backends protocol.

MLDonkey supports BitTorrent as well btw. It should work fine on the tablet, both the clients as well as the daemon.

[EDIT]wTorrent is a web frontend for rTorrent. It could be used together with lighttpd. On bottom you see it is ported to other platforms like MacOSX. You also see more rTorrent related projects.[/EDIT]

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-06-03 at 10:36.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Transmission is now in Fremantle extras-devel (thanks!) but apparently it crashes whenever you select a torrent:

~ $ transmission
poll: Interrupted system call
Gtk:ERROR:gtkfilechooserdefault.c:5246:gtk_file_ch ooser_default_constructor: assertion failed: (impl->file_system)
Aborted (core dumped)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Transmission is now in Fremantle extras-devel (thanks!) but apparently it crashes whenever you select a torrent:

~ $ transmission
poll: Interrupted system call
Gtk:ERROR:gtkfilechooserdefault.c:5246:gtk_file_ch ooser_default_constructor: assertion failed: (impl->file_system)
Aborted (core dumped)
Apologies, testing consisted of compiling it and seeing if it ran.

Thank you for the report, I will try and see if I can get the same behaviour under the SDK and resolve it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
OK, the Fremantle auto-builder just finished building Transmission -maemo1 (not sure how long it'll take to transfer into extras-devel) which has the crashing bug fixed.

Testing, again, was not particularly strenous but, this time, I did actually check that adding torrents, selecting folders, and going to the options did not make it crash.

After fixing my scratchbox's /etc/resolv.conf, I did manage to get two torrents downloaded (it even utilized uPnP to open a port on my router from the SDK!).

The next step would be to switch to the menu buttons used in, say, the Application manager, and, the X Terminal. There's way too many options in the menu for my liking.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-08-15 at 18:23.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Yes, now torrents can be added... but not downloaded: Permission denied.

sounds like http://forum.transmissionbt.com/view...92bb7f42d2e4eb

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Would you be able to change the directory it downloads to (preferably, in a new folder somewhere suitable please), in the options? It's still set to the path of the internal MMC in Diablo (via an interesting method, admittedly...) and I have no idea if it has changed for Fremantle ('tis an indication for me to look at ke-recv source). In the SDK, at least, downloading to the Audio Clips folder worked.

Thanks again, I will look into it.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-08-15 at 20:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Selecting Audio Clips gets the same error message...

You could have a look at GPodder, that had a similar problem but it's now fixed.

Thanks for the pointer to GPodder (and thanks to thp of course!). It should save in $HOME/Downloads now, like how GPodder downloads to $HOME/GPodder-Downloads. But, for this to take effect, you will have to delete the Transmission setting files. Sorry for the inconvenience but doing so is the matter of, from a terminal: rm -rf ~/.config/transmission/

-maemo2 has been sent to the autobuilder (again, not sure on how long it'll take to show up; it is rather unpredictable ).

On the other side of things: I've been working on making it more finger friendly.

The main window uses a thumbable scrollbar (kinetic scrolling seems a bit overkill here IMHO):

The menu looks better and is much less cluttered (I removed useless options, and duplicates (as per the HIG). I decided against the menus that the X Terminal and the Application Manager use due to the amount of options in the menus. IMHO, it'd make it harder to use. So I hope this compromise works :

And the check items use the Hildon variant so they're easier to select with a finger:

Of course, this is all useless if it can't actually download! So, please, let me know (after removing the settings) if it actually works for downloads.

P.S: I promise that the IKEA torrents are only there for testing purposes. I have no plans to view them...

I guess that the tap and hold menu should be finger friendly, and that the subitems in the menu the same. And that help button in the preferences can be killed. Will work on that sometime...

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-08-16 at 17:39. Reason: Engrish fail

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
It works now!

The app is able to scan torrents in the folder defined in the Preferences (maybe you could make a better guess of the default folder to me it Just Work? I had to point it to my personal folders)

Now when you click a torrent link with the browser you get a dialog giving you the chance to "Open with Transmission" and "Save to device".

I'm not sure "Open with Transmission" is working right now. The torrent seed gets downloaded (you see the browser dialog briefly) but Transmission is not activated or updated in any way. If you "Save to device" and place the torrent in the right folder, a Transmission dialog pops up (if you have the app open, of course) and then the rest goes well.

It works now!
Yay, thanks!

The app is able to scan torrents in the folder defined in the Preferences (maybe you could make a better guess of the default folder to me it Just Work? I had to point it to my personal folders)
Suggestion noted and I will try and think of a better location.

Now when you click a torrent link with the browser you get a dialog giving you the chance to "Open with Transmission" and "Save to device".

I'm not sure "Open with Transmission" is working right now. The torrent seed gets downloaded (you see the browser dialog briefly) but Transmission is not activated or updated in any way. If you "Save to device" and place the torrent in the right folder, a Transmission dialog pops up (if you have the app open, of course) and then the rest goes well.
Incidentally, I'd had been working on that yesterday and I'm glad to say that I got it working on Transmission running on my N800 (opening from both the File manager (which was fun because it "garbles" the filename sent) and the Web browser).

I'd always been rather lazy and just set up the basics in the packaging for the tablet to recognise Transmission as being able to open torrents. But it had always been lacking the code needed to send the final filename to Transmission, which'd then open the torrent, when invoked in such a manner. Glad to say that yesterday, I finished writing such code.

And on the menus front, I realise I've been a tool and I will convert it to the menu style used by the X Terminal et al. This comes after a realisation that, because, the main window is greyed out when opening a menu, usage of the menu does make it rather odd for being able to manipulate torrents so they'll be moved to the tap-and-hold menu (which, BTW, is now finger friendly) or added as options on the toolbar (which is currently quite bare) and something like this can be used for the, say, sort menu.

P.S: A really big thank you to the people doing the Fremantle documentation. It really helps

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-08-18 at 06:57.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bittorrent, development, extras, fremantle