Active Topics

Hi,
Has anybody tethered on Verizon Wireless Network? I have a blackberry that I use to tether my PC to. Has anybody tethered N810 to a Blackberry on the VZW network?

Thanks,

As far as I know it depends on the phone. it has to have DUN enabled and (at least with ATT) you must have a network plan.

When i was in the ATT store i tried out connecting to phones and the net until i found the cheapest one that worked. So if i were you I'd make a trip to a verizon store (preferably not on a weekend or at a mall island store) and test out the phones on display.

Originally Posted by smileallways View Post
Hi,
Has anybody tethered on Verizon Wireless Network? I have a blackberry that I use to tether my PC to. Has anybody tethered N810 to a Blackberry on the VZW network?

Thanks,
Slightly different, but I'm tethering my n810 with my sprint blackberry curve and it's a fantastic combination -- the fantastic web-browsing and other capabilities of the n810 along with a rock-solid email machine/phone.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Spock: you and me both :S
However, they weren't lying about it being for your safety. If you found a way to do something useful with their phones, they'd have to get rid of you, so they could keep selling junk for too much money. That said, I was under the impression that it was possible, just darn expensive (I think they told me something like $8/MB :O)

Originally Posted by jaem View Post
Spock: you and me both :S
However, they weren't lying about it being for your safety. If you found a way to do something useful with their phones, they'd have to get rid of you, so they could keep selling junk for too much money. That said, I was under the impression that it was possible, just darn expensive (I think they told me something like $8/MB :O)
They claim it is possible to do tethering by USB but not via Bluetooth. However, I managed to hack my phone into enabling BT DUN support today (using ##TELUS). I called and asked if that was permitted and they didn't have a problem with it, but the cost structure is insane. The only thing they would offer me is a "Connect Day" plan which is $15 for unlimited data, PER DAY. That's $450 per month!

The other thing they would sell me is a $10/month "Unlimited browsing" plan... not sure what that means but it probably doesn't include tethering. I think it's only for the embedded microbrowser, but how can they actually tell?

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Barrie, Ontario, Canada
For really good advice on plans, tethering, options, etc, check out howardforums.com. They have seperate sections for all the carriers, US and Canada, and some very knowledgable, as well as inside, people working the forums.

I found a lot of answers about which phones, and which service providers work best for tethering.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Originally Posted by spock View Post
The other thing they would sell me is a $10/month "Unlimited browsing" plan... not sure what that means but it probably doesn't include tethering. I think it's only for the embedded microbrowser, but how can they actually tell?
I tether with a "Web Plan", and the web browser from my N810 works fine. Most (all?) URL-download type of stuff works (podcasts, etc) - though I think ssh broke (it used to, then the carrier wised up and required use of their proxy). I've been using it for over a year, and for the $5.99/mo - it's a good deal.

[note to self: try all this again and see what is up]

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by spock View Post
Yeah, I'm in the unfortunate position of being locked into a cell contract for another 10 months, with a carrier that absolutely refuses to allow tethering via Bluetooth (Telus in Canada). They claim that it has been disabled "for my own safety"

Anyone know how to do BT tethering on the Telus network? I'm using an LG Chocolate (original slider) phone.
If you can transfer to a Mike (Telus iDEN) plan and your area has coverage, you may be able to tether to a Motorola iDEN handset without Telus/Mike the wiser.

>> http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=14059

Regarding Mike:

Packet Data
In the MS Windows dialup network connection place "s=2" in the place of the phone number to dial and your Mike phone will default to a packet instead of a circuit switch and you will not be charged airtime. It seems that using this setup piggybacks the microbrowser. Credit: H. Sibble
From >> http://geckobeach.com/cellular/secrets/clrn_mike.php

Tethering is what it's all about with the internet tablet. Having a usable tablet anywhere makes it a part of you! I use T-mobile in the US, and have no problem, other than the fact that the n810 doesn't like to keep a constant connection with the N95-4.

If true, the next tablet may have HSDPA. I think this is a great option if you want to pay for another line, but tethering should also be there as well.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Originally Posted by Jeffgrado View Post
If true, the next tablet may have HSDPA. I think this is a great option if you want to pay for another line, but tethering should also be there as well.
The HSDPA plans are ridiculous expensive -- everyone's is like $30 a month? And then they have the b@lls to put a cap on that? I keep "deciding not" on the G1 for this reason. It's like paying for a second DSL line, but with the phone company making it lame.

Tags
tethering