I am just thinking how about if half X or Y size to half of screensize, it would not look as bad you think, because it is exact half of screen resolution. Example 960x270 or 480x540 with Droid4.

Or with smaller N900 screen you can half both X and Y to 400x240 and it would be still almost 150 dpi, what I have been noticed the limit to good enough picture quality from 40 cm away from screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
I am just thinking how about if half X or Y size to half of screensize, it would not look as bad you think, because it is exact half of screen resolution. Example 960x270 or 480x540 with Droid4.
It's funny that you imagine that you know what I think. Did I write that lower resolution "looks bad" on the droid4 screen?

I just wrote to show how to play back full-resolution 960x540 h265 video. It's rather nice to be able to particularly via the HDMI-out.

The Following User Says Thank You to clort For This Useful Post:
Thought i'd share another clip, this time by Axel Borg. Pretty sure he won't mind sharing a clip of his accomplishment

http://0x0.st/-Wta.mkv

I've tried it scaled down to 480x270 and the construction doesn't have enough resolution to resolve well.
Attached Images

Last edited by clort; 2021-07-28 at 12:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clort For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by clort View Post
It's funny that you imagine that you know what I think. Did I write that lower resolution "looks bad" on the droid4 screen?
Sorry my bad english. I used "you" as passive meaning that many of user doesn't know that sometimes lower exact half of screen resolution looks better than higher with tightly packed video in same bitrate. It is sometimes good to check...especially if we going to think that we can do something like this with N900.

Originally Posted by clort View Post
I just wrote to show how to play back full-resolution 960x540 h265 video. It's rather nice to be able to particularly via the HDMI-out.
And it was good that you wrote about it..It shows that Droid4 is fast enough. btw..do you know what resolutions HDMI-out of Droid4 support?

Last edited by teroyk; 2021-08-12 at 08:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
btw..do you know what resolutions HDMI-out of Droid4 support?
Sorry for late reply.
I drive 1080p monitor with Droid4 with
xrandr --output HDMI-1 --mode 1920x1080 --rotate inverted --output DSI-1 --of

Return to LCD with
xrandr --output DSI-1 --auto --rotate right --output HDMI-1 --off

The GPU is a bit slower on 1080p screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to clort For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I have never seen in any thread this detailed analyze of the subject people are discussing. Thanks clort!

But I also understand the point nonsuch brought up. Your thread is about what you started and you are right spot on with that, but with your knowledge would you happen to have an idea what would be the best way play videos with decent quality while consuming energy as little as possible?

I mean having something to watch while on a trip on N900 is just so cool and to be able to do it keeping the battery alive as long as possible is sometimes a neccessity.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2021-12-07 at 13:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post: