Notices

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
justnick, close it and try agian.
I have had similar corruptions on running a couple of times during the last few months, but never anything reproducable or identifiable.

The scrolling numbers are most likely one of the screens which shows FPS calculations - the camera/maps do that.

BSnoshrk, blue screen hmm, this *may* be same issue as justnick - try rerunning.
However physics view only shows sketches hand drawn by yourself and has nothing at first if you have not drawn anything.
Once you start to draw things they come alive in the physics view for messing about.

To me its a bit more than a toy, its a playground of ideas and a way for me to see which interactions work and don't.
I've wanted a touchscreen device for so long I've got a backlog of things I need to try

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
hmmmm at that, could someone take a photo showing these bad lines.
since more people are getting them it sounds like something I need to address.
The only thing changing the resolution should do is reduce the bandwidth through the memory bus.
I run natively at 800*480 most of the time barring when im experimenting with graphically heavy things. I would have noticed and recitified this first it it was a frequent problem.

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
As for reverse order, its technically possible I just never saw the need for it - if enough people ask I'll drop it in but for now its not a priority in this release.
I find it useful if you take several notes regarding the same topic (a lecture or a class) and you wan to see them in order.

Thanks for the hints, I uninstalled the app, rebooted the N800 and I'm actually in the process of reinstalling it

good point, ill make sure its in place when i next dive in then.
I had actually planned my presentation at the summit using it and was going to keep it for notes.
When you go into edit a sketch from the graffiti view, you can use +- to go back/forward in time

Ok, now works flawlessly, no artifacts

Great app.

The good
Really enjoy the book reading very fast.
Drawing very fast and fun.
Camera works better here than any other app I've used.
Screen resolution very fast changes.
Map of Berlin (sweet). Nice and fast moving around and within map.

enhance
Book reader needs more than just .txt files.
I get about six cameras in camera view. That's nice for art related but I prefer option for just one camera view.
Drawing would be nice to import pictures in different file formats and color them. I love altering pic's. hehehehe
I also get numbers running on top of screen in both maps and web area.

Hoping for in future.
Book reader has flite or other speech app that reads book and highlights text being read. Portrait mode. Automatic scrolling for speed readers like me where we can set scrolling speed. More formats as mentioned above. Allow stardict definition window so I can highlight a word and get definition or translate word. FBReader allows this feature from stardic.
Map allow sync with my gps and geo tag with photos I take within that city. Be able to import satellite maps. Your app is so fast at moving screen this feature alone would blow all other map apps out of water.
Camera to allow monitoring of an area. This helps with watching kids in a room or leave as a monitor/recorder at hotels. Camera has so many applications that are not being exploited by nokia that you could really chart their development direction.
drawing needs full brushes, etc.. This is the funnest portion. lots of possibilities here to take advantage of speed and ease of use.

Overall you will probably need to split this app into several apps so that it doesn't get bloated(see Canola). One camera app, one drawing app, one reader app, etc...
I personally would like to see a version that uses Qole's Easy Deblet approach to app integration and screen allocation. I want all my apps to work seemlessly within Hildon and not within its own world. By that I mean Qole's app above allows you to see the Hildon framework and allows you to easily switch between and use other apps simultaneously . If your app was designed like that than if I was in book reader mode I could engage stardic definitions mode. Or if I was in maps I could call up web and search for info for map.

I would enlist nokia to take over project and you be the lead developer to guide all the app development or if that fails we will jump in and help you chart and develop with you guiding us.
As I said before you've created a groundbreaking app that if developed thoughtfully can really take Nxx's in a new direction.
Many, many thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to dan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I don't know if you are using an mkdir function or running mkdir externally, but I would suggest using mkdir -p instead

Dan,
thanks for your excellent points, all of which I would love to implement.
I am currently talking with Nokia and trying to find out how we can take this further

As for the camera view, its just a simple test, but if you press the +- zoom buttons it does just that, and you can see multiple or a single view.

All I wanted to do was see how things work.

From a personal perspective, I am not knowledgeable in all areas and if I sat down and worked specifically on one area (maps/books/sketching/ui) then I would not have got this far.
Its enough to get the ball rolling and hopefully start to give people tools and ideas for their own projects.

Due to the nature of this device and the methods I have needed to implement to get the performance I can only have one running app using the XV overlay at a time, so that is why everything is together, but I am hopeful that the ideas can be pushed further back into x11 itself so all apps have this tearfree capability, but I doubt we will get that far on the current device.

Looking to the future where new hardware appears to be coming it should allow hack-free implementations of all I have done.

Its basically a rough view of how *I* would like to interact with a touch device using ideas and principles that have been rolling around in my head and in little C and VB projects for years.

Installed fine here. Works a little sluggish in 800x480 mode unless I turn on performance mode, and I also got some corrupted screens in the form of random horizontal lines (happened when drawing or in physics sim), but after restarting twice they seem gone. Is it expecting .txt files in windows format? Because a UTF-8 file I have is showing accented characters wrong (á-é-í-ó-ú-ñ).

Thanks for making this package =)