Posts: 46 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Grenoble (France)
Is there a way to backup the entire firmeware and all installed softwares? My Nokia 770 broke, and I plan to buy another one. I would like to restore quickly all my config.

My 770 has only its screen broken; all works fine, but I can't see anything. My first idea was to use the flasher tool, but I didn't find how to do this. Is it possible? Or is there another USB-based solution that doesn't require any software installation?

Thanks,

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
I'm curious about this as well, as I've seen lots of instructions on how to clone the current/running OS to a memory card from the tablet itself, but not a lot of information on how to actually do a full out "device copy" from one tablet to another; and if it's possible to do straight over the USB connection that would be even better of course... I'm in the same type of situation where I've got two tablets (both N800s), but the one that I use all the time has a damaged USB port (long story) and I'd like to just replicate my current OS and installed apps/etc to the new one; I assume backing it up using something like tar or dd would be straight forward, but writing that back to the new tablet would be the problem since I'm sure there'd be all kinds of errors and problems trying to overwrite files that were in use by the OS...

Try

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=32768

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
[Note: I never used your platform I am referring to N810 with OS2008.]

Short answer: there is probably no easy way although I do know in OS2008 one can backup and restore settings this probably didn't exist in previous versions.

Long answers: Rsync should work, but it is slow over SSH (cryptography overhead) and even slower on small files (id.). Even more so on an embedded device.

You want to restore quickly all your config. Your config is mostly in /etc and ~/.* but also /var and /usr/local/etc and /root/.*

Your personal files are in ~/MyDocs and /root

Your installed application list is saved in /var. You get with $ dpkg -l command. IIRC this command also provides a way to export its installed applications so it can be imported later. Would not work immediately with 3rd party repositories. Those get backed up if you back up /etc and should be first to be restored.

As you can see, it already gets pretty complex. So instead of aiming for everything aim for some specific, important goals. State them here and we can help you backing these up.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Grenoble (France)
My problem is that I don't have the screen working, so I can't even launch a wifi connection to use ssh...

That's why I'm looking for a USB-based solution, using flasher-3 or so. Are there some documentation about the USB formeware upload protocole, somewhere?