Hello, first post.. got my n810 for my b-day today.. pretty cool device.. my question.. upon my first startup, there is a 'wizard' that takes you through connecting your cell phone. i have a t-mo dash with unlimited data so this would be a cool thing. anyway. my phone's bluetooth doesnt find the n810 and my n810 doesnt find my phone. im using windows 6.1 on the dash but have't updated to "diablo" yet on the n810. searching "tethering" didnt yield much.

thanks.
bill.

I think you have two options, assuming that all WM 5/6 phones use PAN:
1. Use the maemo-pan package (I think it's in the maemo.org downloads site. If not, search here).
2. Install DUN software for your phone (Never tried this but I think it's documented on the wiki here somewhere)

If you upgrade to Diablo, there's a bug that requires a few extra steps to use a PAN connection. Nokia is working on a fix.

The Following User Says Thank You to andreww For This Useful Post:
You have the phone visible?

I think WM phones in general use PAN, which isn't supported natively, rather than DUN; I'd still expect it to detect it, but not be able ti use it. Maybe try again after you get through initial setup.

You may have to update to at least Chinook, if it's not there already; I don't think the package for PAN works with OS2007. Diablo, on the other hand, has a bug which broke PAN support, and they're still working on fixing the bug. PAN can still work, though; search for the thread about PAN and Diablo, there's a workaround there. I'd recommend the Diablo upgrade.

EDIT: Yeah, like he said.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by andreww View Post
I think you have two options, assuming that all WM 5/6 phones use PAN:
1. Use the maemo-pan package (I think it's in the maemo.org downloads site. If not, search here).
2. Install DUN software for your phone (Never tried this but I think it's documented on the wiki here somewhere)

If you upgrade to Diablo, there's a bug that requires a few extra steps to use a PAN connection. Nokia is working on a fix.

On wm6 (6.1 in my case), you can connect the phone to a laptopo using a usb cable and go to internet sharing and it connects.. i was never able to get bluetooth PAN to work but it is an option on the phone. i will try the maemo.org download. If im going to upgrade to Diablo anyway should i just do all that first? Or should i wait for the diablo fix?
thanks!
Bill.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
You have the phone visible?

I think WM phones in general use PAN, which isn't supported natively, rather than DUN; I'd still expect it to detect it, but not be able ti use it. Maybe try again after you get through initial setup.

You may have to update to at least Chinook, if it's not there already; I don't think the package for PAN works with OS2007. Diablo, on the other hand, has a bug which broke PAN support, and they're still working on fixing the bug. PAN can still work, though; search for the thread about PAN and Diablo, there's a workaround there. I'd recommend the Diablo upgrade.

EDIT: Yeah, like he said.
I could not get the phone to find the n810 or the n810 to find the phone. i know the bluetooth is "on" on the phone but how do we make sure bluetooth is "on" on the n810?
Is Chinook like diablo a verision of the OS? mine said OS2008 when i first booted it up. I have downloaded Diablo but haven't installed it yet. Guess i will just install Diablo find that PAN Diablo thread and go from there.. that way the N810 is all set to install apps and go from there.
Thanks.
Bill.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
I had the same problem with my HTC PPC 6700 running Windows Mobile 6.1. Microsoft took DUN out of Windows Mobile 5+. PAN works using Internet Connection sharing. And if your phone has Wifi, you can even set it up as a Wifi router that your N810 can connect to.

See these two threads I started for directions:

Bluetooth DUN on a HTC PPC 6700 & N800

Higher Speed WM Phone Tethering Than DUN
Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

The Following User Says Thank You to OSEmuTech For This Useful Post:
Before you upgrade to Diablo, make sure you feel comfortable with a little bit of work in the shell. Here's the wiki page that shows how to set it up:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...tle=Diablo_PAN

Did you find the maemo-pan package? I'm not sure if it's in a separate repository or something. It also probably requires you to add some non-standard repositories to a new Diablo install. Just want to warn you it might be a bit of work if you're not used to mucking around with the tablet

In order for maemo-pan to work, you need your phone to be set as the default in the Phone section of the control panel. I haven't had any problems with my Blackjack, but I'm also using WM 5.

Oh, did you start the connection sharing app on your phone? It's kind of hidden on WM 6 phones, if I remember correctly. You can probably find the exe name online and add a shortcut for it if it's not there already.

Originally Posted by andreww View Post
Before you upgrade to Diablo, make sure you feel comfortable with a little bit of work in the shell. Here's the wiki page that shows how to set it up:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...tle=Diablo_PAN

Did you find the maemo-pan package? I'm not sure if it's in a separate repository or something. It also probably requires you to add some non-standard repositories to a new Diablo install. Just want to warn you it might be a bit of work if you're not used to mucking around with the tablet

In order for maemo-pan to work, you need your phone to be set as the default in the Phone section of the control panel. I haven't had any problems with my Blackjack, but I'm also using WM 5.

Oh, did you start the connection sharing app on your phone? It's kind of hidden on WM 6 phones, if I remember correctly. You can probably find the exe name online and add a shortcut for it if it's not there already.
dang, all that just to connect a phone that should connect out of the box. hope everything isnt this hard on this tablet.. not sure i have time for the learning curve! im probably going to install diablo anyway.. i figure it's the latest upgrade so i don't want to install a bunch of apps and then reinstall everything. heck, i hate reformatting my PC!. hopefully nokia just comes up with a plug-in or something to make it easier to connect with a PAN.
sounds like creating all the directories and so forth is a pain in the *****. do one thing wrong (extra space or comma or somethng) and your screwed.. anyway.. thanks and ill let you know what happends! andrew i also pm'd you regarding your blackjack. lates. Bill.

Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
I had the same problem with my HTC PPC 6700 running Windows Mobile 6.1. Microsoft took DUN out of Windows Mobile 5+. PAN works using Internet Connection sharing. And if your phone has Wifi, you can even set it up as a Wifi router that your N810 can connect to.

See these two threads I started for directions:

Bluetooth DUN on a HTC PPC 6700 & N800

Higher Speed WM Phone Tethering Than DUN

Thanks for the threads.. haven't read all the way through them, just glanced at them.. are you running diablo on your device? first i will install diablo and go from there. thanks and ill keep what happends posted here for future use.

The Following User Says Thank You to bd7 For This Useful Post: