Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Holy cow! Purism + Ubuntu touch!

https://puri.sm/posts/ubports-ubuntu...collaboration/
This does not bring any excitement for me. In fact, it does the opposite.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
This does not bring any excitement for me. In fact, it does the opposite.
One can always choose between
Librem 5 with PureOS
Librem 5 with PureOS (KDE Plasma Mobile)
Librem 5 with Ubuntu Touch
It is even better now that we can choose the OS

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by deutch1976 View Post
One can always choose between
Librem 5 with PureOS
Librem 5 with PureOS (KDE Plasma Mobile)
Librem 5 with Ubuntu Touch
It is even better now that we can choose the OS
You know, my statement perhaps came out a bit too harshly; thank you for your response as it is leagues more informative than my own.

After experiencing a bit of Ubuntu Touch, I can easily state that I would not choose Ubuntu Touch. PureOS with Plasma has my attention the most.

But you know what? Having multiple options is quite good. I just lack the enthusiasm (or patience) for Ubuntu Touch.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You know, my statement perhaps came out a bit too harshly; thank you for your response as it is leagues more informative than my own.

After experiencing a bit of Ubuntu Touch, I can easily state that I would not choose Ubuntu Touch. PureOS with Plasma has my attention the most.

But you know what? Having multiple options is quite good. I just lack the enthusiasm (or patience) for Ubuntu Touch.
The UBports team is doing quite well lately and solved plenty of issues the Ubuntu touch team hasn't been able to solve in months. Taking in account it's now a community driven project it's quite amazing how fast the progress became in the last months.

It runs pretty smooth now on my nexus 5...

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
On small screens I still don't understand how working without a hardware keyboard can work at all. On a 5" screen you basically need the whole screen to display a half-way useable keyboard, because unlike on a hardware keyboard where you get haptic feedback before(!) a key is pressed (e.g. N900) you can't make the individual keys on an on-screen keyboard any smaller than a fingertip.
I understand that on-screen phone keyboards basically circumvent this limitation by auto completion and auto correction and that seems to work well for texts that are adressed to humans. But I can't imagine this would work in a terminal where you type highly context-sensitive arbitrary two-letter commands.
Amen to that. Except, I don't think that a proper keyboard is just required for programming - it's necessary for proper writing. Man, I still hate writing on touch screens. Why do manufacturers hate proper keyboards so much?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Amen to that. Except, I don't think that a proper keyboard is just required for programming - it's necessary for proper writing. Man, I still hate writing on touch screens. Why do manufacturers hate proper keyboards so much?
Ah, do you have any idea how expensive it is to have a HWKBD on a phone, even without localizing.... add to that the inventory cost of having several different locales!
Also it adds a lot of mechanical failure modes to the device, making repair costs and returns higher...

Nope, because public will not pay the premium for a keyboard it will not be made.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
meanwhile, public will pay hefty premium for camera that is on par with those 100€ compacts just to trow it away at the end of a contract

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
A mobile phone camera is nowhere near a par with a 100€ compact. On a compact, a zoom is a zoom. On a phone, a zoom is a glorified crop.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
I know. But considering that phones killed compacts. Almost. Let's say that it is. Particulary because a lot of people will say that they did get XY only because of better camera.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post: