I've sent bug reports to the dev previously but never got a reply. I hope the app hasn't been abandoned, been a really long time since the last update

The Following User Says Thank You to sillycrimes For This Useful Post:
Since the latest update, do Android apps no longer have access to the SD card?

Are there any native .RAR / .zip extractor apps for Sailfish? Currently using an Android one, not ideal.

Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Lastly, every some days I can click in all places of Sailfish UI, except inside apps so I can open apps but cannot click anywhere inside their UI. Reboot solves it for about 2 days. Anyone have the same problem or an idea of how to solve/trace it?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Never had anything like that. Does restarting lipstick help?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@juiceme,
How exactly would you want to do that if taps did not work?

@malkavian,
I've had something similar a number of times, always caused by the invisible keyboard bug. Once it happened, the OS-wide gestures (swiping from edges of the screen) continued working but swipes or taps inside the screen did not. The only way out was a reboot (I suppose SSH from another machine and killing maliit would have worked too but a reboot was simpler, especially if I was nowhere near another machine).

Not sure if that is the same problem though.

@Vertu,
'unrar' and 'unzip' work fine in the terminal. For those of a more GUI-esque persuasion, you can use Unrar & Unzip extractor by Schturman. It is nothing but a UI shell (well, sort of) for unrar and unzip and works only in the Downloads folder but it does the job.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Thanks @pichlo, I think that that could me my problem too. Good answer for @juiceme by the way XD

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
@juiceme,
How exactly would you want to do that if taps did not work?
Like I always do it, ssh to the device. I use WLAN but of course you can do it via USB too if you have it set to development mode connection. (which is the only useful mode anyway... )

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I thought I'd come back here to report on the battery usage. After some users reported 20-30% drain a day, others claimed that 3G or 4G drains the battery faster and others still suggested to turn off GPS, here is the result of my tests running continuously for the past three months:
  • My battery lasts 24 to 48 hours on average.
  • 3G or GPS have a negligible effect. I do not care if the phone lasts 24 or 25 hours between charges; if the difference is so small, I can as well leave everthing on all the time.
  • The only thing that makes any difference at all is my usage pattern. If I leave it on standby, it can last up to 5 days. If I use it, it lasts about a day. 2 hours browsing equals about 2 days on the shelf.

A very representative example as of last Saturday. The configuration (what is on, what is off and what is not installed at all) as per this post. All times are approximate to the nearest 10 minutes:
  • 06:50... 100%. Taken off the charger. Spent about 20 minutes browsing, then put in the pocket and took the kids out.
  • 08:30... 84%. Just remembered to check the battery level.
  • 10:00... 74%. Started using it again to make pictures. Took 12 pictures and 4 short videos. Did not shut the camera app, just locked the phone with the power button and put it back in the pocket. Forgot to check the battery level at the end.
  • 14:50... 17%. I noticed the pocket was suspiciously hot. It was the phone. With the camera app stil on standby. I shut the camera app.
  • 18:20... 11%. We gradually made our way home. Plugged the phone in the charger.
  • 20:00... 100%. Went to run the bath for the kids. Spent about 10 minutes browsing while running the bath.
  • 20:10... 94%.

With the exception of the camera app running and nearly melting the phone, this is pretty much the common pattern. 3G or GPS makes no discernable difference, but each minute of browsing costs about 0.5% of the battery charge.

Meanwhile my wife's Jolla, sitting unused on the shelf, needs a recharge about once in a fortnight.

The only conclusion I can make from this is that those who claim less than 30% drain a day can achieve that only by keeping it standby all the time and not actively using it at all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
This easter some friends traveled and created a whatsapp group for the travel. They send near no messages to the usual group. Usually they send 100 messages a day, 200 on weekends.

I use Mitakuuluu and these days, (plus more peace) my battery gone from consuming near 50% a day to 35% a day. I suppose that the cause is having it much more time in standby.

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience