Originally Posted by snowlog View Post

Here is a summary of my issues:

1. Navigating (scrolling around with the stylus either on the page itself or on the scroll bar on the right) on almost all webpages is slower than before.

2. Navigating is sticky and jerky and extremely frustrating.

3. On some web pages now, the stylus cannot drag the page at all – up, down or anywhere!

4. Same as #3 above for finger dragging – it doesn’t work at all on many pages or it works slow, sticky and jerky (and thus pretty useless).

5. Finger keyboard ONLY comes up by pressing the center button on the scroll control and will not come up - as it did with OS2007 on same device – with a simply tap of my finger on the input field. This is not the way this function is supposed to work and is totally inexcusable. I know that many others have already reported on this malfunction.

6. The default font size is smaller on every page – I think this may mean that the screen resolution was changed in OS2008 to include more of the web page on the screen. This is also inexcusable because the default size is now unbelievable tiny! I would like to know who made this asinine decision so I could tell her or him just how asinine it was. There should be a choice of screen resolutions as there is in the Windows OS, so one can adjust the font size.

7. Not everything, but many things in OS2008 work slower for me than OS2007.

8. On the stylus keyboard, there is no longer a CAPS LOCK key – only an “En” key where Caps Lock used to be (En is a language-related key). What happened to Caps Lock? How can I type all CAPS when I need to, without pressing the Cap arrow every single time?!

9. My N800 often completely freezes or gets hung up for 30-60 seconds – it never did that with OS2007. As a matter of fact, I am getting increasingly angry as I type this, thinking of how unpleasant and impractical my N800 has become to use, since I “upgraded” to OS2008. I am also ticked off at all the hype about how slick and smooth OS2008 is. For me, it’s about as slick as molasses going uphill.

Now that I’ve vented, let’s get solution-oriented. Here are my questions:

- Are others having the same terrible experience with OS2008 or is it just me?

Not just you - agree with everything you said!

Thumboard "bug" - is it? or is it that the os is designed for 810 (whatever they say) and therefore i is assumed the user would use the pyhsical thumboard instead?

The font size - so pleased someone else mentioned it, thought it was my eyes! Surely easy to put a menu choice in - even Interent Explorer has that!

Overall the touchscreen seems less sensitive - there used to be a setting to alter it in control panel didn't there? I find it impossible to close windows with the top right hand corner cross, even with stylus.

Bad show.

Still chuffed BBC news streams are in hi quality though! Been waiting from the start for that!!!

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
Still many thumbs UP !

Again, my main complain is that I had to go through many hours of Talk Forums.

My applications are now running nice and smooth. However, for a commercial gadget from the largest phone seller of the world, flaws are still , well let's say "surprising" . And I don't buy it when Senior, Junior or simple Members are referring to Open Communities etc.

[QUOTE=snowlog;115383]
I have had a host of problems since “upgrading” my N800 to OS2008 about a week ago from OS2007 and I could really use people's advice (I ask several specific questions at the end of this post).

Same experience, don't know if its is over and nobody answers my question if the repositories are now fixed.

My source for the OS2008 was http://noneus.de/ where I downloaded RX-34_2008SE_2.2007.50-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin. It downloaded quickly on my broadband connection (about 134 mb in maybe three minutes) and I flashed it to my N800 using the latest Nokia Internet Tablet Software Update Wizard. This also was speedy and I was soooohhh….. optimistic. Little did I know what was to come. Btw, I was having no problems with OS2007, although I used it mainly for surfing and e-mail and some YouTube video watching: plain vanilla applications and nothing beyond. I was looking forward to OS2008 and being able to more easily install other apps I had been reading about.

Same perspective.

Here is a summary of my issues:

1. Navigating (scrolling around with the stylus either on the page itself or on the scroll bar on the right) on almost all webpages is slower than before.

Use finger, but you have to be weary not to start another window. Would really like a hardware scrolling wheel.
2. Navigating is sticky and jerky and extremely frustrating.

Don't see that, but see 7

3. On some web pages now, the stylus cannot drag the page at all – up, down or anywhere!

I use the side scrolling bars in that case, no problem.

4. Same as #3 above for finger dragging – it doesn’t work at all on many pages or it works slow, sticky and jerky (and thus pretty useless).

Don’t understand the slow, do not see that. (see also below)

5. Finger keyboard ONLY comes up by pressing the center button on the scroll control and will not come up - as it did with OS2007 on same device – with a simply tap of my finger on the input field. This is not the way this function is supposed to work and is totally inexcusable. I know that many others have already reported on this malfunction.

Agreed, annoying, might come form the 810 having hardware buttons

6. The default font size is smaller on every page – I think this may mean that the screen resolution was changed in OS2008 to include more of the web page on the screen. This is also inexcusable because the default size is now unbelievable tiny! I would like to know who made this asinine decision so I could tell her or him just how asinine it was. There should be a choice of screen resolutions as there is in the Windows OS, so one can adjust the font size.

No problem, resolution is good. Do not even use 'full page'. Have to wear my glasses, but that also applies to reading a book.

7. Not everything, but many things in OS2008 work slower for me than OS2007.

Disagree, sorry, don't see this. Have the strong impression my N800 is now a lot faster. However I do note that using applications like Canola or Quiver is sometimes, don't know why, slow. What I normally do is restarting. I blame it on my reprositories (still a mess).

8. On the stylus keyboard, there is no longer a CAPS LOCK key – only an “En” key where Caps Lock used to be (En is a language-related key). What happened to Caps Lock? How can I type all CAPS when I need to, without pressing the Cap arrow every single time?!

Agreed, anoying, might come form the 810 having hardware buttons

9. My N800 often completely freezes or gets hung up for 30-60 seconds – it never did that with OS2007. As a matter of fact, I am getting increasingly angry as I type this, thinking of how unpleasant and impractical my N800 has become to use, since I “upgraded” to OS2008. I am also ticked off at all the hype about how slick and smooth OS2008 is. For me, it’s about as slick as molasses going uphill.

As mentioned above, happened two or three times since upgrading (22 DEC.), but so does my PC.

Now that I’ve vented, let’s get solution-oriented. Here are my questions:

- Are others having the same terrible experience with OS2008 or is it just me?

Tried to answer that above.

- If it’s just me, did I get a bad or corrupted version of OS2008, i.e. should I download it again from a different source and then re-flash in the hope that the second time it will work properly?

Atually, I did two upgrades: the first was a real mess.

Didn't know about the repositories, machine was slow, could'nt download Pidgin etc.

So I did re-upgrade two days later and found that I was now missing essential to be pre-installed reprositories in my application catalog. Found them at the http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.ph...&system=maemo3 site.

Did a full back-up recover (was still missing the "Nokia certified" repository) (This Tablet Forum advises NOT to do so !, but I had to) and to my surprise it all works fast and smooth.

Took some hours, but since then I have no serious problems. However I do not think I would reccommend all this.

- Should I flash back to OS2007?

I cetainly will not flash back. MediaPlayer is a lot better, Youtube now plays very smooth etc. Love wayfinder etc.

- Is there something I have overlooked? This is entirely possible – I am no expert!!

Neither am I, (took me a lot of time to get familiar with all those libgnut whatever etc. terminology)

The Following User Says Thank You to AbelMN For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by flareup View Post
Thumboard "bug" - is it? or is it that the os is designed for 810 (whatever they say) and therefore i is assumed the user would use the pyhsical thumboard instead?
It's a BUG! Go to Text input settings under Control Panel and you will find a nice Launch finger keyboard with finger tap option that doesn't work!

Originally Posted by AbelMN View Post

Agreed, anoying, might come form the 810 having hardware buttons
Just hold the Shift key for a few seconds and the CAPS LOCK will be activated.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to amigokin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Word of caution, soft power-off isn't actually functional right now.

Also: if you're not using it, you might as well just plug it in.
Yeah, I just figured out something wasn't quite right and I restored the mce.ini file. I was having the screen and buttons locking semi-randomly.

Dan here,

Update 3.
I have been using the new os2008 now for two weeks and I get more impressed daily.
What amazes me about the new os2008 are the people here and at maemo and at Nokia who are helping to better the software continually.
It's all FREE!!!!!!!
I figured out how to get my corporate email and my gmail to come to me continuously throughout the day! I am hopeful that yahoo follows gmail and gives us free access to their pop3. The whole point of Linux is to be free. So in that spirit I will not pay to access my yahoo mail. A man has to take a position that sometimes involves sacrifice.
I'm learning to use x-terminal. I don't care for it, but until everyone agrees to release fully user friendly app's I will make a best effort to work with it.

Issues with new os2008 that dull my ITT experience.

Issue with the updated included player is much improved, BUT it is still skipping frames occassionally. I added an app's process list to see how much of the processor was being used during a movie and it was minimal. That means that it just needs some refinement.

Issues with X-Terminal. Nano app needs work. I make a change and it asks me to answer 'Y' to accept changes and it is impossible to enter 'Y' from the N800 itself. I have added 'Y' and 'N' to the control panel but although they look great next to the other control buttons THEY DO NOTHING!!! This Nano app needs major overhaul. It's a great app it just needs major refinement.

Issues with webbrowser. I agree with others that it is hard to scroll down. I've thought about this and given the size of the screen and the amount of content to scroll on a website what we have is about as good as it's going to get without a hardware update. I like someone's suggestion on this thread that a small scroll wheel(preferrablly on the top right side under Nokia logo or on right side) would greatly enchance our web experience.

Issues with photo app. It's a nice app but it's too slow loading all my pictures so that I get a mini version of the photos and needs more options(ex. slideshow has no speed adjustment). Also has problems loading some pic's for viewing.

Issues with radio included in the applets. Why does it not work??? It would be awesome to have radio capability. I like internet radio but if your going to give us radio applet at least let it work. I asked at Nokia store and they said it isn't functional at this point. Can someone please find a way to get it to work.

Wonderful apps in os2008!!!

The included media player. Although it skips occassionally it's still AMAZING!!!
The movies I have converted look and sound incredible. The internet world radio accessed through the media player is wonderful. U-Tube works great. Kudos to all who have helped enchance this app.

The email app. is truly astounding! Very easy to set up and use. It's simple and basic which is what I want from app's for the n800. I can send and receive email to my corporate and gmail accounts. Yahoo sadly won't work unless you pay them.

Google talk is great. Talk about easy to use. I open app and make call.

Chat is wonderful to use. I can send files and chat effortlessly.

Update pdf viewer is very nice improvement.

In conclusion I'm getting more than my money's worth because of these amazing free app's that take advantage of the n800. Nokia is changing the way we compute and not just mobilably. These little app's combined with the n800 prove that you don't need gigantic programs requiring insane power and processing might to get your work and leisure computing needs accomplished. lol

The Following User Says Thank You to dan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Tampa, FL
Well, I am still using os2007, but I think after reading several threads, I am ready for the upgrade to os2008. I hope some of the earlier installation problems have been fixed. I will also post here with my thoughts after I am done

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Milan - Italy
My problem (hoping that a trick exists to solve it) is that when I'm in the terminal with the kb opened when I hit CTRL shortcut button on the toolbar the kb disappears and I must hit in the textbox to see the kb again...boring

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Issue with the updated included player is much improved, BUT it is still skipping frames occassionally. I added an app's process list to see how much of the processor was being used during a movie and it was minimal. That means that it just needs some refinement.
Possibly, but this is still mostly a hardware issue. Just target your videos for the device and everything will run fine.

Issues with X-Terminal. Nano app needs work. I make a change and it asks me to answer 'Y' to accept changes and it is impossible to enter 'Y' from the N800 itself. I have added 'Y' and 'N' to the control panel but although they look great next to the other control buttons THEY DO NOTHING!!! This Nano app needs major overhaul. It's a great app it just needs major refinement.
You've got this issue very confused. nano is a unix text editor that's been around for a lot longer than the tablets, and is based on pico (another editor) which has been around even longer. They are both very mature and functional applications with few bugs and finalized feature-sets.

The issues you describe have nothing to do with nano and everything to do with Nokia's piss-poor xterm implementation. My recommendation to you until Nokia gets their heads out of their asses and fixes maemo's xterm is either to learn vi or get yourself a bluetooth keyboard (you can get around the vkb-close-refresh by using the thumbboard with the center-button on the d-pad, too).

Issues with webbrowser. I agree with others that it is hard to scroll down.
There's a decent solution to this issue discussed over in bug #2423.

Issues with radio included in the applets. Why does it not work???
Works fine over here.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
GeneralAntilles,

I love you bro.!!
I can scroll website with the d-pad!!!!!!!!
(for newbies just follow this link ( https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2423 ) and open application manager then click on link at bottom of website click open and once application manager updates 'show installed applications' open webbrower and HALLELUYAH!!! you have scroll up and down functions using your d-pad).

I'm on the road a lot and I haven't found that keyboard yet from Nokia. It will make my n800 much better when I do.

I'm in the film business. I took it to a top editor and he looked at the the frame skips and said it needs refinement. The videos look amazing it's just I use the n800 to show our movies and I can't have skips. I'm sure with time it will get fixed.

Again many thanks for your help on this thread and many others. lol, Dan

The Following User Says Thank You to dan For This Useful Post: