Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I need an onscreen keyboard on my N810:
a) Too conditioned by my N800, use stylus all the time,
b) Way too lazy to slide out the physical keyboard,
c) Cannot slide out the keyboard, N800 is mounted on the windshield or something similar.

I cloned the OS to a microSD/standard SD adapter from a N800 and switched the microSD into a miniSD adapter then booted up in a N810.

On data input, the screen keyboard would automatically come up, just like the N800. The screen keyboard disappear when you slide out the physical keyboard.

Control panel>About product>Nokia N810, i.e., it is correctly identified. The same SD card inserted into a N800, it was again correctly identifed as Nokia N800.

Well, if one can boot up the N810 with a N800 cloned SD (Are they supposed to be the same?) to get an onscreeen keyboard, looks to me that there is a hidden switch one can switch on the onscreen keyboard. Any Linux guru interested to hack?

bun

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
No hack necessary... Control Panel > Text Input Settings > On-Screen (tab) > Enable Stylus Input Methods (check it)

I hope that's what you meant.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Also when N810 physical keyboard is out you can enter shift+space in text entry to enable the virtual one. It is handy in osso-xterm to turn off word completion bar or when you want to enter some unusual character via virtual keyboard.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
but when the physical keyboard is not out, can it show the virtual keyoard in some way?

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Canada
Click in any text field and it should come up.

Originally Posted by palmman View Post
but when the physical keyboard is not out, can it show the virtual keyoard in some way?
Control panel -> Text input settings -> On-screen -> Enable stylus methods.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Control panel -> Text input settings -> On-screen -> Enable stylus methods.
yeah! just like the n800 typing method no?

i´m amazed by my n800 just i want to have the n810 too with the physical kboard feature for larger emails and notes.