Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
You did reboot after swapping X server binary, right?
Yes, I´ve rebooted successfully to ROX since patching to the modified 3.1 xserver.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Serge View Post
Both results look good and show the numbers which are normal for the patched xserver. Are you sure you really did run benchmark with the original xserver in your last test? Rebooting is needed for the changes to take effect. My own tests with the original vs. patched xserver for Nokia_N800.avi look very much the same as the results posted my Milhouse: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...&postcount=431
Of course i did reboot. Installed patched xserver with dpkg -i packagename.deb and rebooted after that.

Yes, unpacked the original maemo 3.0 xserver deb into the mmc boot partition and I´m home free again! FYI.

Is there any possibility for MPlayer@N800 ever playing h264 video in a descent way? I understand h264 is rather demanding, but do you guys think it will be possible on the lovely N800?

My intention was to watch video-podcasts, e.g. this one http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/ande...ast/index.html .

I have the latest MPlayer of this thread installed and the default xserver. MPlayer identifies the video (locally stored) as h264 and tries to decode it, it seems. I only get a blank screen and audio stutter though.

Any one else with better luck?

Last edited by f97mp; 2007-05-10 at 14:52. Reason: spelling

Here's my Nokia_N800.avi benchmark with the modified 3.1 xserver on a ROX booted 51-6:
Code:
BENCHMARKs: VC:  32,536s VO:   8,530s A:   0,504s Sys:  61,070s =  102,641s
BENCHMARK%: VC: 31,6992% VO:  8,3105% A:  0,4915% Sys: 59,4988% = 100,0000%
BENCHMARKn: disp: 2511 (24,46 fps)  drop: 0 (0%)  total: 2511 (24,46 fps)

fyi-I got Mplayer working on my N800 and reading ASF video files.

the playback is smooth and Audio is in sync.

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by f97mp View Post
Is there any possibility for MPlayer@N800 ever playing h264 video in a descent way? I understand h264 is rather demanding, but do you guys think it will be possible on the lovely N800?
Don't know if it will improve performance to the decent level, but h264 decoding can be optimized quite well using ARMv6 SIMD instructions. Right now h264 decoding does not have any ARM assembly optimizations in MPlayer/FFmpeg at all. All of this will require quite a bit of work and time though, it is easier said than done.

My intention was to watch video-podcasts, e.g. this one http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/ande...ast/index.html.
This podcast also has audio encoded in AAC, and AAC is not very well supported in MPlayer on ARM (performance wise) right now. Making use of AAC DSP codec from N800 also requires quite a lot of work. You may search this forum for some more details.

I'm new to using Mplayer (I can't believe I've been struggling with the built in video player for so long). Does anyone else have the problem of Mplayer stopping video playback about a second or so before the actual end of the video file? (Mplayer version 1.0rc1-maemo.16.n800)

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Tuxedosteve View Post
I'm new to using Mplayer (I can't believe I've been struggling with the built in video player for so long). Does anyone else have the problem of Mplayer stopping video playback about a second or so before the actual end of the video file? (Mplayer version 1.0rc1-maemo.16.n800)
Never tried it -- I only watch credits on the big screen.

Serge,

I just had a question about the DSP and motion compensation stuff. Does Nokia have to write drivers to open these up to you, or is it just optimization done on your end. I only ask because I saw that the Nokia N95 can decode 640x480 .h264. I realize its Symbian but its the same chipset/processor. Blows me away that they pulled that off, I wish they'd have that kinda support built in for us.

Anyways, I'm not asking for anything just chit chatting! =) I'm glad you're almost to the "holy grail" of vga+ divx/xvid decoding... its all I ever wanted from the tablet!

Thanks again for all your hard work!