Alrite guys, finally got my 770 this morning and wooow what a machine . Had it connected to my Belkin N1 straight away no problems at all and was just getting used to it all and finding out were everything is etc. I am now wanting to put the 2007 Hacker Ed operating system on but first can anyone tell me if its any good (got 2006 on atm) and is there any serious flaws with it?

Thanks Tom

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
The last 2007HE isn't bad and can be made do tricks However some codecs are missing like all of wmv9 and real media refuses to stream. There are more pluses since you can run skype and other OS2007 apps. OS2008HE is not bad at all too, but still has some flaws and needs heaps of swap

Thanks mate, installed the 4.2007.46-3 version today and im loving it haha loads better than the 2006 os. One thing though does anyone know of a MSN messenger thing for the 2007? I have updated the application package list on the 770 but nothing like pidgen etc comes up only about 20 apps only .

Thanks Tom

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
Point your 770's browser here: http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2007/pidgin/ and hit the "click to install" button.
Easy as that.

*Edit - the apps that show up in the app manager is nowhere near all of them. You can find alot more at maemo.org or on the ITT website. Good luck

Last edited by Underscore; 2008-03-16 at 00:52.

Thanks alot mate, I went about it a bit diffway though I added the pidgen repository and did it that way tonns more apps also have now shown up in the app browser.

Thanks Tom

Yeah, I forgot about that repository. It's got some useful plugins and extras.

Yeah it has, very useful for me as I go on msn quite a bit mainly to keep in contact with mates and all that rubish. Not having much luck with Skype though. Seems it closes itself down when I click anyware on the Skype logo bit in the middle of the screen lol. I think im going to have to investigate this a bit further.

Tom

Try this for Skype: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=12740
I don't know much about os2007he though. Or os2007 in general.

The Following User Says Thank You to Underscore For This Useful Post:
Cheers mate, i'm still learning about the 770 in general lol. What os are you running if you don't mind me asking?

Tom

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
You should be careful with the HE versions, since the original version is intended for another processor and some things won't work if installed from app manager. Like mplayer - use the OS2006 repo to get it, or directly from here:

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...n770_armel.deb

Also be careful what you *update* through app manager - if you replace vital system libs with other intended for another processor, you can render your 770 unbootable and will need a reflash. For instance if you update MicroB (the mozilla browser) through there i believe it will stop working. Mplayer too - only manually. Most things just work out of the box though.